E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by quan717' post='553093' date='Mar 30 2008, 02:47 AM
wow 2 fingers, i can't even stick my pinky between the fender and wheel on mine.
i'm using eibach 1.5 drop on mine and still drive almost like stock.
No non-xi members allowed in this thread. Go away!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Need HELP!

Hi all,

I have my xi up on jack stands in the front and got to inspect my bump stops and strut travel more closely. There is more bump stop than I had originally thought, and I was wondering if I should cut off more, due to my lack of strut travel. I measured 2.5" of exposed travel, from the top of bump stop (with it pushed down against the top of the lower tube) to the top of the strut, with it up on the jack. I am easily riding on the stops in this case. For all I know, all that was cut off was a half inch, for a 1.5" drop. That would require I cut more off.

Take a look. I need to get my rims on before it gets dark...in about 6 hours from now. The current bump stops measure 2 inches. Can or should I cut off that top section (see last pic) for more travel? I am not sure what it looked like before or how long the stock bump stop is. Everyone (esp. xi owners)...go out and jack up your car and measure your stops and strut travel for me!!! Any help is highly appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6167.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6171.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6165.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6166.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6169.jpg  

Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6173.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6178.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Ok.....No responses, so I took matters into my own hands. I cut off that section you see on that last photo, a half inch exactly...sliced it easily with a carpenter's knife as I rotated it. I used a random measurement to calculate the distance of the drop (before and after lowering it off the jack). The distance turned out to be a 3" drop.

In the above post, I had 2.5" of travel distance above the 2" bump stop while up on the jack, meaning I had to be riding on the bump stop, compressing it 1/2 inch. Since that section I cut off was 1/2 inch, I should have be about even.

I checked the clearance, Clarence, and I am happy to announce that I am no longer riding on the front bump stops!!! I have about 1/4" of clearance and still about 1.5" of bump stop left. Now, the car hasn't settled yet, so we'll see if it stays that way. Regardless, I am happy with the outcome.

Tomorrow, I will update everyone on the ride....could be awesome or I could break off the front struts and total the car! I am pretty pumped up at this point, just to know I'm off the bump stops. And I don't ever want to use the phrase "bump stops" again for the rest of my life!
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6182.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='553308' date='Mar 30 2008, 04:22 PM
Ok.....No responses, so I took matters into my own hands. I cut off that section you see on that last photo, about a half inch..sliced it easily with a carpenter's knife. I measured the distance between the tire just off the ground (but still slightly touching enough to roll it and have the tire scrape the concrete). And then I lowered the car off the jack. The distance went from 7" to 4" making for a 3" drop after compression.

In the above post, I had 2.5" of travel distance above the 2" bump stop, meaning I had to be riding on the bump stop, compressing it 1/2 inch. So, that section I cut off happened to be slightly over 1/2 inch. I checked the clearance, and I am happy to announce that I am no longer riding on the bump stop!!! I have about an 1/8" of clearance and still about 1.5" of bump stop left. Now, the car hasn't settled yet, so we'll see if it stays that way. Regardless, I am happy with the outcome.

Tomorrow, I will update everyone on the ride....could be awesome or I could break off the front struts and total the car! We shall find out tomorrow which it will be. I am pretty pumped up at this point, just to know I'm off the bump stops.
Doc. hope that fixes the problem, if not you may have to cut off a smig more of the bump stop......to think you were riding around with the car bumping up and down like those import dudes with their big mufflers, booming system, hat on backwards & underdraws showing.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

...car bumping up and down like those import dudes with their big mufflers, booming system, hat on backwards & underdraws showing.
Thanks Phil.

Check out the difference between last July and today. Either it has sagged or the removal of the 1/2" more of the bump stop lowered it even more...or a combo of both. I prefer today's look..will see about today's ride, tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn5786.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6197.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

D.

I just saw this thread... You probably right all along... the front suspension been riding on the bump stop... I squeezed my finger between the OEM spring to feel the bottom portion of the bump stop while the car on the ground and it's 'bout 1/2" travel gap in there... it seems that the pics confirmed that after you cut it you got more drop.

I'm wondering what C, KU530 & Bambi bump stop look like BTW, d'yaa recall how much did your installer cut it the 1st time?

Anyway on the new look w/ more drop
Old 03-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='553383' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:36 PM
D.

I just saw this thread... You probably right all along... the front suspension been riding on the bump stop... I squeezed my finger between the OEM spring to feel the bottom portion of the bump stop while the car on the ground and it's 'bout 1/2" travel gap in there... it seems that the pics confirmed that after you cut it you got more drop.

I'm wondering what C, KU530 & Bambi bump stop look like BTW, d'yaa recall how much did your installer cut it the 1st time?

Anyway on the new look w/ more drop
Thanks, Blastiwi...It's about time you showed up! I appreciate your checking the strut travel remaining on your xi. Now I feel even better! Although I only have about 1/4", it will do. I can't wait to test her out tomorrow.

P.S. You must have arms like twigs to be able to reach in there! And, no, I don't know how much was cut off by the installer, but I hope to find some info re: the OEM length of the bump stops. That will answer that question.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Members

looks very nice now, thats how a bmw should look from show room!
( even tho you told me to go away)
Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Naaaahhh... that just to prove how tall the OEM suspension on the xi

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='553387' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:53 PM
[...]
P.S. You must have arms like twigs to be able to reach in there!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by quan717' post='553389' date='Mar 30 2008, 09:01 PM
looks very nice now, thats how a bmw should look from show room!
( even tho you told me to go away)
I was obviously just kidding! Glad you like it.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...