E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='553390' date='Mar 30 2008, 09:01 PM
Naaaahhh... that just to prove how tall the OEM suspension on the xi
So, Blastiwi, you don't have H&R springs?! I made that comment assuming that you did.

If you have only a half-inch of strut travel below the bump stops on the factory springs, I feel even better than I did before!!! That kind of "OEM information" is priceless today, so thanks. Correct me if I am wrong re: your current setup...but it says "H&R sport springs soon" in your signature. Is that up to date or not?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Nope not yet D.

Information provided from OEM spec. so w/ my stock setup there's 'bout 1/2" gap on the shaft from the bottom bump stop (which hidden behind that rubber boot) my current sig. is correct "soon" as I have it on hand (thanks to a great guy name D. of course!) but not installed yet so let me know the ride quality, should improve but how much.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='553418' date='Mar 30 2008, 09:33 PM
So, Blastiwi, you don't have H&R springs?! I made that comment assuming that you did.

If you have only a half-inch of strut travel below the bump stops on the factory springs, I feel even better than I did before!!! That kind of "OEM information" is priceless today, so thanks. Correct me if I am wrong re: your current setup...but it says "H&R sport springs soon" in your signature. Is that up to date or not?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='553546' date='Mar 31 2008, 09:11 AM
Nope not yet D.

Information provided from OEM spec. so w/ my stock setup there's 'bout 1/2" gap on the shaft from the bottom bump stop (which hidden behind that rubber boot) my current sig. is correct "soon" as I have it on hand (thanks to a great guy name D. of course!) but not installed yet so let me know the ride quality, should improve but how much.
I am off to work now, so within 20 minutes I'll now. Damn rain...just cleaned the car and 19's this weekend! I'll update tonight.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributors

OK...so just got home. I must say that it seems to be riding more smoothly. I want to give it a few days before I totally commit to this answer, though. The main thing I noticed today was that the usual expansion joints that used to make my fillings rattle didn't bounce my car much at all today. It actually felt like the shocks were doing their job. I do believe it is much less bouncy now, and I think a lot of my thumping and vibrations I was feeling are gone...still some, though. Now, I am now riding on my harsher 19's, so it's difficult to be sure. I guess a better test would have been to leave the same 17" rims on and then test it, but oh freakin' well!

Oh, and I raced a VW Golf (or some type of newer VW) on the way home tonight...was doing 125mph....with no one on the road at 1AM (except for that guy) so no pontificating, please! I smoked his ass, of couse! You gotta know which battles to pick with an I6.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Members

Perhaps this article will make you feel better, definitely supports the actions you took to alleviate the pain.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/travel/travel.htm

Keep us update how it works out.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Good to hear the improvement D.!

If I picture it the right way me w/ stock/OEM spring has +/- 1/2" bare shaft gap from the bottom of the bump stop and you w/ the H&R spring made +/- 1/4" (possibly) gap and we both on the same OEM shock so I think it should be OK even w/ 1/4" diff. since H&R has higher spring rate than stock not sure further gap will be in use but it may give more comfort 'cuz more travel room?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Glad to hear everythings working good Dave!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Glad to hear everythings working good Dave!
I wouldn't say "everything." I just got back from work after day 2 since cutting my front bump stops, and I wouldn't say my problem is quite fixed. The reason is that I haven't dealt with the rears yet. Now that the front seems to be behaving, I am feeling what I think are the rear bumps stops causing the remaining bumping and thumping under my seat.

I am hoping to remove the rear struts this weekend and cut off some foam. It's still just riding way too harsh at this point, especially with my 19's now installed. I think a half inch or so off the rears as well should solve my problems...will keep you guys posted.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Ok...so I have my car's rear-end up in the air, wheels off. I was dreading having to take my struts off to get at the bump stops, but to my delight I was able to use needle nose pliers to pull the stops down to where I can cut them from the wheel well. So, NO DISASSEMBLY REQUIRED!!!

Here's the most interesting discovery...the rear stops were NOT cut at all! No freakin' wonder my ass-end was boucing and bumping like a pogo stick. It was bad enough they didn't cut the fronts enough, but to have not cut the rears at all?!

Well, I am off to go measure and cut...and then will update all on the new ride later tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

When I looked mine there's no way for me to check 'cuz it uses hard plastic cylinder/tube unlike the rubber boot upfront, but is there any evidence the rear been sittin' on the bump stop?

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='556217' date='Apr 4 2008, 03:49 PM
[...]
Here's the most interesting discovery...the rear stops were NOT cut at all! No freakin' wonder my ass-end was boucing and bumping like a pogo stick. It was bad enough they didn't cut the fronts enough, but to have not cut the rears at all?!

Well, I am off to go measure and cut...and then will update all on the new ride later tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...