E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I'm keen on doing this modification to my 11/07 535d; does anyone have experience also retrofitting the steerwing wheel buttons? I have the Mkit steering wheel.
If you have a current m-sport wheel, your existing buttons will fit the new wheel (with paddles) - at least I didn't need to change mine.

I'm currently half-way through this retrofit, with the new steering wheel with paddles intalled (heated also - which became available in 2009, but can be retrofitted to 2008's like mine). So far, the heated m-sport wheel works great, but we are still waiting for the SAT shift box/button to finish the install. Apparently, the hardest part was a couple of wires that had to be run to accomodate the SAT/paddles.

Once everything is installed and working (hopefully next week sometime) I will post part #'s etc and a better description of what needed to be done to accomodate the retrofit. My local dealer has been fantastic working through this retrofit - working directly with BMW on the technical bits to make this work, all within my restriction of not messing with my warranty!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by Wpg550
If you have a current m-sport wheel, your existing buttons will fit the new wheel (with paddles) - at least I didn't need to change mine.

I'm currently half-way through this retrofit, with the new steering wheel with paddles intalled (heated also - which became available in 2009, but can be retrofitted to 2008's like mine). So far, the heated m-sport wheel works great, but we are still waiting for the SAT shift box/button to finish the install. Apparently, the hardest part was a couple of wires that had to be run to accomodate the SAT/paddles.

Once everything is installed and working (hopefully next week sometime) I will post part #'s etc and a better description of what needed to be done to accomodate the retrofit. My local dealer has been fantastic working through this retrofit - working directly with BMW on the technical bits to make this work, all within my restriction of not messing with my warranty!
Sounds great, look forward to hear from you. Called the supposed local wizard at my dealer in Lyngby, Copenhagen and he mentioned priced around 10-15,000 usd but noting that he was 96% sure it was absolutely impossible to make the change; that it had never been done before and even if he could sell me the parts, he wanted no part in this endeavour which would screw up basically everything from windshield wipers to navigation etc etc; guess I'm on my own...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Sounds great, look forward to hear from you. Called the supposed local wizard at my dealer in Lyngby, Copenhagen and he mentioned priced around 10-15,000 usd but noting that he was 96% sure it was absolutely impossible to make the change; that it had never been done before and even if he could sell me the parts, he wanted no part in this endeavour which would screw up basically everything from windshield wipers to navigation etc etc; guess I'm on my own...
Heh... I also got the "never been done" response from BMW Canada, however after a few weeks of technical research they are 95% sure it will work. It required a pile of updated parts (new steering control module - ouch) but nowhere near the cost your dealer indicated -- and we end up paying a premium for parts vs. the US up here, although at least with the parts sourced through BMW Canada I will still have full warranty. I believe my parts were around $3k CAD, but will have to confirm when all is said and done. Anyway, the biggest issue they ran into was a couple of wires that had to be run as the harness for non-SAT (or at least pre Jun 07) 550i's didn't have them.

At this point I believe the remaining steps are the installation of the SAT shifter box and programming, then everything should be up and running. If it doesn't end up working, then I guess I just have a very expensive heated steering wheel and a better looking shift lever!

Wish me luck!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Heh... I also got the "never been done" response from BMW Canada, however after a few weeks of technical research they are 95% sure it will work. It required a pile of updated parts (new steering control module - ouch) but nowhere near the cost your dealer indicated -- and we end up paying a premium for parts vs. the US up here, although at least with the parts sourced through BMW Canada I will still have full warranty. I believe my parts were around $3k CAD, but will have to confirm when all is said and done. Anyway, the biggest issue they ran into was a couple of wires that had to be run as the harness for non-SAT (or at least pre Jun 07) 550i's didn't have them.

At this point I believe the remaining steps are the installation of the SAT shifter box and programming, then everything should be up and running. If it doesn't end up working, then I guess I just have a very expensive heated steering wheel and a better looking shift lever!

Wish me luck!
I'm surprised they are doing this for you, Birchwood has been less then accommodating for me. They wanted $1000 for an Aux input before I bitched and whined. They also refused to enable MP3 on my car saying it cant be done when I know that it can. is the 3k in cost just for the programming
Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by rsyed
Without going to the dealer, you get:
- Faster shift times
- Direct steering
- downshifting with intermediate throttle application

By going to the dealer, you get the following addional features:
- when sports button pressed, "SPORT" being displayed on your speedometer
-in DS mode, with sports button pressed, you actually see which gear the car is in

that is all i can think of at the moment..

But guys beware - the dealer will not readily program this for you... You need a "open minded" dealer to this for you. Mine was not willing to do it, though like i said, i found one in germany, but it is a 3000km drive for me

greetings
Rsyed, can you share name/address of dealer; then I can drive south and get the update once I have the install completed. Thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
I'm surprised they are doing this for you, Birchwood has been less then accommodating for me. They wanted $1000 for an Aux input before I bitched and whined. They also refused to enable MP3 on my car saying it cant be done when I know that it can. is the 3k in cost just for the programming
New GM, new Service Manager... what can I say, it's like dealing with a completely new dealership. They were pretty good on the parts discussions, but the unfortunate nature of beast is that buying the parts in Canada (which I chose to do for my warranty concerns) even at a healthy discount will be more expensive than the US MSRP -- it's like they set the MSRP for Canada/US when the dollar was at a 20% discount. Given the current near-parity, it's a little painful...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 09' 525i M Sport Alpine White 19" 172 Alloys Logic 7 USB Sun Protection Glass Lumbar Support SAT (Sports Auto Transmission)

I highly recommend the SAT mod, i did it a couple of months ago and managed to get all parts from ebay for £110, BMW would of charged over £500 !! I never got it coded, purely a hardware swap, very easy to fit, 20 mins max.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poot1873
I highly recommend the SAT mod, i did it a couple of months ago and managed to get all parts from ebay for £110, BMW would of charged over £500 !! I never got it coded, purely a hardware swap, very easy to fit, 20 mins max.

How did you manage to get the parts from Ebay? searched today and there isn't a single part remotely relating to transmission for bmw lci's?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 09' 525i M Sport Alpine White 19" 172 Alloys Logic 7 USB Sun Protection Glass Lumbar Support SAT (Sports Auto Transmission)

Someone was breaking up a 6 series and was selling the gear shifter, leather trim with button and ECU, he was selling it all as one item for £100 + £10 delivery. The 6 series has all the same parts as the 5.
I was just lucky in getting it on ebay, as I was planning on buying all the parts from BMW.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poot1873
Someone was breaking up a 6 series and was selling the gear shifter, leather trim with button and ECU, he was selling it all as one item for £100 + £10 delivery. The 6 series has all the same parts as the 5.
I was just lucky in getting it on ebay, as I was planning on buying all the parts from BMW.
Good to see others who have done this mod.

Mine proving to be a worthy investment in terms of performance and looks.

Regards.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit