E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear DVD mount arrived

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm a bit worried that it's too big as well. I'll be looking at the fit possibilities in a little while if I get a chance.

As far as the strap mounts -- I've never seen it done the way Crutchfield shows it in the picture. (Even the Audiovox manual doesn't show that method of attachment.)

I mounted it between the seats of our minivan with the straps for a long trip and they were fine. I fastened the upper straps around the headrest post. (The picture shows a car without adjustable headrests). I fastened the lower straps to the floor where a second-row seat mount is, cinched them up and the thing was rock solid.)

I didn't buy it with the E60 in mind so if I can't get it to fit, no big deal. I only use it on long trips in the van once a year or so. (I'm not one to park the kids infront of a video screen unless it's absolutely necessary.) Most of the time, the unit sits on my desk at home for me to use as a tv/dvd player.

sg520i, I bought the unit at Best Buy which is a large distributor of electronics and appliances here in the US. I'm not sure if they'd ship to Singapore but keep in mind that the unit only plays region 1 discs. I would imagine you could get a similar product somewhere over there, couldn't you? By the way, I think I paid around $700-$800 for it. At the time, it was the largest one they had. It looks like they now have a 12" model now for $800 so they may have dropped the price of mine a bit.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo..rudy...thanks for the info. I can't find any LCD/DVD combo tablet in Singapore. I am not going to install in my e60. It will be used as a display in my shop.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Sep 7 2004, 12:13 PM
....from Crutchfield site. Looks dangerous

OMG!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Okay -- the thing couldn't fit better! It just fits between the seats with very little room left on either side. It looks like it was made for the car!! (I told you the top loading DVD slot was going to be a benefit!)

Now to get the engineering part done....
Old 09-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Rudy,

For the engineering part, couldn't you get the bracket for the other DVD play and just velcro the back of the Audiovox to the bracket. I wouldn't depend on the seats being some kind of support just in-case the seat-back position changes...especially on long trips.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Sep 7 2004, 02:46 PM
Rudy,

For the engineering part, couldn't you get the bracket for the other DVD play and just velcro the back of the Audiovox to the bracket. I wouldn't depend on the seats being some kind of support just in-case the seat-back position changes...especially on long trips.
I suggested velcro earlier and right now, that's my "plan A." I will not (and never implied that I would) use the straps to mount it in the E60. They work fine for the minivan until I can find something better.)

I have to look further at the specs on the mounts that DD used. I think one of them has a fairly large surface area that might work for attaching velcro to the back. My only wonder is if it has any support on the bottom (i.e.: is it L-shaped?) to take some of the pressure off of the velcro.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Go Rudy Go !!!

One of the E60 Brodit tablet mounts is "L"-shaped to allow a thumbscrew to engage players (like nextbase) that have an inferiorly positioned tripod-type mount. The part number is the same as DD listed above.

Between that ledge and the velcro (assuming decent amount of surface area covered), you should be alright. Remeber, let the unit "breathe". Audivox units are well known to heat up.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Gizmo -- I was thinking the same thing. I'm a little worried that there wont be enough contact area on the rear of the unit. The L-shaped clip doesn't rise up very high.

I'm wondering if I can install a threaded socket to the base of the unit -- does anyone know if they sell these things?

If I look at the other mount by Brodit, it has a much larger surface area (more velcro contact) but no ledge to rest the unit on. If I buy that model, I might be able to fabricate some sort of mounting plate that utilizes the two "keyhole" mounts built into my unit. I could then fasten the fabricated plate to the mounting plate that is attached to the clip.

I emailed the guy at Brodit asking him for a US distributor of the mounts -- anyone know someone over here that sells these (or similar products)?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:57 PM
JDN
Contributors

Hey, Rudy. I emailed Brodit, too and they sent me to the site below, the US equivalent. Problem was that they did not have the mount in DD's picture. So, I wrote them about that model number on 9/1 or 9/2 and have received no answer. Here is the web site that brodit sent:

ProClip Web Site
Old 09-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

In my email to Brodit, I mentioned that I'd already visited the proclip site and they didn't carry the specific part I was looking for.

I included the part number in my mail to Brodit and asked specifically for a dealer that could sell me that part.

Let's see if that gets me any farther than you got, JDN!

Quick Reply: Rear DVD mount arrived