E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear DVD mount arrived

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sorry, I've been pretty busy lately. I was actually thinking of taking some pics last night but then something came up.

Thanks for the reminders -- I'll try to get some pics taken tonight...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, here's a few quickie photos to give you an idea of how simple it was to mount my DVD player...

As a reminder, this is what the mount that I used looks like:

Basically, since I didn't want to go crazy initially with customizing my player or engineering some custom mounting plates, I decided for plan "A" all I had to do was drill two holes in the swing-out stand in the rear of the player.

You can click here to see my earlier photos (in this thread) for the "before" shots of the DVD player.

The Proclip mount has a carriage bolt passing through it with a thumbscrew to tighten it. I cut a square shaped hole in the swing-out stand for the carriage bolt with a Dremel tool and then I drilled another hole above it to line up with the index post of the Proclip mount.

Here's a shot of the two holes I made in the player's swing-out stand. (The stand snaps securely into place while in the retracted position shown in the photo.)

Rear DVD mount arrived-143_4375.jpg

Once I had the holes drilled/cut, it was simply a matter of passing the carriage bolt through the swing-out stand and into the Proclip mount. The little index pin of the mount fits into the top hole I drilled so the DVD player won't spin on the carriage bolt. The mount has it's own tilt/swivel so even if you don't drill the holes in a perfect line, the DVD player will still end up being straight and level.

Here's a couple more shots of the mount attached to the swing-out stand as it would be positioned if it were mounted in the car.

Rear DVD mount arrived-143_4383.jpg

Rear DVD mount arrived-143_4385.jpg

Again, here's the finished look -- needless to say, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...

Attachment 4604

Hope that helps everyone out. It really was very simple to do. If I find that there is too much flex or vibration with this method, I have a plan "B" and plan "C" in my head...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job, rudy !
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525iA (E60)

does anyone know the price of original BMW TV/DVD which is mounted on the wall. (Just checked it is called AutoVision. I saw it in the parts catalogue? Is it expensive to fit in as well?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:

Thanks!
I just ordered one because of this posting getting bumped!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Rudy, how did you get sound?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='May 25 2005, 01:21 AM
Rudy, how did you get sound?
[snapback]132929[/snapback]
In addition to an FM modulator built into the cig lighter adapter, the unit comes with two wireless (infrared) headphones. Depending on the situation, I can choose either method to get sound...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:02 AM
Mol
Members

First of all, thanks for all the details and pictures. They're very helpful and I'm convinced I'll be able do a similar setup in my S60 (aii, that's a Volvo... )

I'm still hesitating between buying two smaller headset screens with a cheap portable DVD player or a larger tablet DVD player like the Audiovox, because I'm worried that my kids have to watch the central screen at an odd angle. Could the people that are mounting the screen between the seats comment on this? Don't know if it makes any differences, but both of my kids are sitting in child seats in the rear so they can't really move closer to the center for watching the screen.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Well,

I'm following all the posts about rear entertainment systems since several months, now, and I reached the conclusion that the best possible solution is a LAPTOP.

Today, you can buy an high-end laptop (i.e. Sony Vaio, HP, Toshiba, Dell) for about 1200-1400 Euros, fully equipped with:
15,4 screen, 16:9, extrabright quality (Sony, Toshiba, HP)
80-100 GB HD
wi-fi
bluetooth
CD/DVD unit, ultrafast

For that money you'll have the best possible performance, a very powerful and flexible machine, huge storage capability for tens of movies and hundred of mp3 songs, the capability to store any map of any country, region, town with the highest detail and much more.

Everything you need is rear power socket, a foldable table fixed to the back of your seat and that's all. If you install on your laptop Windows media center software package or something similar, you'll enjoy simpler and more user friendly man-machine interface.

What do you think?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Rudy -

Thanks for the great install and the pictures....I'm inspired.

Can you provide and update on how your setup is working for you now, some months later?

Thanks,

medphreak

Quick Reply: Rear DVD mount arrived