E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear DVD mount arrived

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took all the members advice and bought the pro clip and did the so easy install, however i ran my audio thru my aux input so the sound comes thru the car, makes for a better viewing expierence. If you guys did not start this post, my daughter would not get to watch her wiggles in the car, thanks again to all on this thread and site

brian
Old 11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by medphreak' post='194083' date='Nov 5 2005, 09:56 PM
Rudy -

Thanks for the great install and the pictures....I'm inspired.

Can you provide and update on how your setup is working for you now, some months later?

Thanks,

medphreak
Well to be honest, I don't use it all that much. I've probably used it once or twice since my install since we usually use the minivan for trips with the kids. I had a small problem with the Proclip mount not dealing with the weight of the Audiovox unit (the screen kept dipping down as I drove around and hit bumps) but I was able to tighten the screw that controlled the resistance of the pivot point and that seemed to do the trick. Again, since I don't use it much at all, I can't say whether the tightening of the screw will be a good long-term solution. (I suppose I could find the correct angle and glue the pivot point to prevent it from moving.)

The size and weight of the unit does cause a small amount of screen shaking while driving but I've never heard any complaints about it from anyone. I think most of the "play" in the mount comes from the swing-out stand I mounted things to. If this becomes a problem, I think mounting the Proclip directly to the back of the player will solve that...
Old 11-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='31950' date='Sep 8 2004, 12:39 PM
In my email to Brodit, I mentioned that I'd already visited the proclip site and they didn't carry the specific part I was looking for.

I included the part number in my mail to Brodit and asked specifically for a dealer that could sell me that part.

Let's see if that gets me any farther than you got, JDN!
http://www.proclipusa.com/monitormou...tormounts.aspx

i dont know if theses are new variants but some more options
many thanks for all the posts from all concerned may be a lot of use to all of us who are now fitting navtv option..
maybe someone out there has come across other mounting options if so please post.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Members

Are you still able to open the center console with the Brodit/Proclip in place? I am thinking of using the same mount on a slightly larger (8") Next Base.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='202768' date='Nov 24 2005, 03:45 AM
Are you still able to open the center console with the Brodit/Proclip in place? I am thinking of using the same mount on a slightly larger (8") Next Base.
Yes. I can open the center compartment -- even with the huge screen I have...
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Very nice ! I'm bumping this, because I want to install a DVD player between the front seats (just like your installation Rudy!). Your screen looks very nice with IR headphones, right ? But I don't want such a huge screen! Do you know if they are avalible in 7" ??

Or any other screen with some nice features, but around 7" ?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='343359' date='Oct 10 2006, 04:15 AM
Very nice ! I'm bumping this, because I want to install a DVD player between the front seats (just like your installation Rudy!). Your screen looks very nice with IR headphones, right ? But I don't want such a huge screen! Do you know if they are avalible in 7" ??

Or any other screen with some nice features, but around 7" ?

This is an old thread, but I found it very useful in my recent quest to install a DVD player for the rear of my 530xi. My wife and I split daycare commuting responsibilities for our two boys, and my four-year old is constantly begging for me to drive the wife's car (MDX) because it has a DVD player in it. The MDX is fine and all, but naturally I'd prefer to drive my car instead.

So, similar to others on this thread, I ordered the Brodit/ProClip mount discussed above. In the U.S., you still have to call ProClip to order the part, as it is not available on their website. But they were very nice about making the special order.

The best thing that seems to be new since this thread was last active is that you can now order the Nextbase DVD players in the US at Nextbase-usa.com. They have both a 7" and a 8.5" tablet DVD player, both of which have the thumb screw on the bottom. So, this makes for a very easy attachment method for the mount.

I ordered the mount yesterday and plan on ordering the Nextbase DVD player shortly (can't decide between the 7" and 8.5"). I'll post pictures and results once I receive everything.

Anyway, thought this "news" might be interesting for anyone else in the U.S. trying to satisfy rear seat passengers with Wiggles, Ice Age, Shrek, Cars, etc., etc., etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

One small thing to keep in mind is that on many DVD players, the DVD slot is on the side. Depending on how things fit, it may be difficult to insert a DVD if the seats are close to the sides of the unit. The Nextbase units have a side-loading slot.

That's one of the advantages of the unit I have -- the discs load from the top of the player.

I'm not trying to push Audiovox but I took a quick look at their site to see what they had that compares to the Nextbase models. They have some similar side-loading units but with built-in infrared (wireless) headphone capability. To me, that's another big plus. (take a look here for more information) The downside to Audiovox is that they don't have the threaded mounting hole that matches up to the proclip mount.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='406579' date='Mar 24 2007, 10:22 PM
One small thing to keep in mind is that on many DVD players, the DVD slot is on the side. Depending on how things fit, it may be difficult to insert a DVD if the seats are close to the sides of the unit. The Nextbase units have a side-loading slot.

That's one of the advantages of the unit I have -- the discs load from the top of the player.

I'm not trying to push Audiovox but I took a quick look at their site to see what they had that compares to the Nextbase models. They have some similar side-loading units but with built-in infrared (wireless) headphone capability. To me, that's another big plus... (take a look here for more information)
Yeah, I would prefer a top-loading unit, but I'm really excited for the thumb-screw connection on the Nextbase models. It just seems to me that will make for a very secure and stable fit.

Speaking of fit, Rudy, how is your setup working out for you? Are you still happy with it? Is the Proclip mount sturdy?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='406582' date='Mar 25 2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I would prefer a top-loading unit, but I'm really excited for the thumb-screw connection on the Nextbase models. It just seems to me that will make for a very secure and stable fit.

Speaking of fit, Rudy, how is your setup working out for you? Are you still happy with it? Is the Proclip mount sturdy?
I think I said a while ago in this thread (too lazy to find it) that I really don't use my setup much at all. It's kind of a "backup" system for the rare cases where I'm taking the kids on an extended trip with my car instead of our Odyssey. I think I've used it only a handful of times and the only real issue I found was that my screen is so freaking heavy that it would sometimes start to slowly tilt down because the swivel mount on the proclip bracket wasn't tightened down enough. I've since tightened the screw to increase the force needed to move the swivel but haven't fully tested it out yet. I'm pretty sure it'll take care of the problem.

Overall, for the few times I use it, it's great. I never bothered to do any more customizing of the power connection, etc. I just run the cig adapter from the unit right to one of the sockets in the rear console and that's pretty much it. The kids can sit in the back with the headphones on and the remote control. All I do is swap discs when needed to make it easier on them and to keep the discs safer...

Quick Reply: Rear DVD mount arrived