E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by theXman' post='952083' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:35 PM
We know what we got from aFe. That's all I have to say about that. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Yes, your sig labels the aFe intake as a POS. That speaks foe itself.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='952542' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:33 AM
It doesn't matter that the air going into the engine is hot or cold?? Your statement is absolutely laughable.

Of course air intake temperatures matter. Colder intake air has a higher density and therefore, more oxygen. Many/most ECU's pull timing and reduce power when they measure high intake temperatures...this is done in order to prevent pre-detonation. Some cars are extremely sensitive to intake temperatures and lose large amounts of power when intake temperatures rise due to heat soak and/or high ambient temperatures, ie. aFe HOT AIR INTAKES LOSE POWER.

You might want to research the internal combustion engine and its intricacies.
Exactly. Cold air = greater density = more oxygen = more power.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='952117
LOL there was no horsepower loss. People dyno'd improperly, and didn't give the car time to adjust. When the filter itself increases airflow by leaps and bounds over stock, it is not possible for the car to lose horsepower, hot air or cold.

The only hot air issue here is everyone being filled with it as a result of misinformation.
I hope you really dont believe this because if you really do, you might be in the wrong business as this is one of the most important things about engine tuning. Air density, temperature and ignition timing all go hand in hand.

BTW, the car does not need time to adjust. The only adjusting this thing does is loose power because the DME WILL pull ignition timing as underhood temperatures rise. You DONT need any adjustment period with ANY of the RPi products. Talk is talk, but we already know what happens during real races.

Here is an AFE intake taken off a car. Not only did he dyno much less than a stock M5, he also got his ass handed to him on a race against a STOCK M5. I formaly invite you to come out to our next dyno day and we can do some dyno test as well as actual runs in real world conditions. Who, with an AFE intake has ever beaten another car with a stock intake?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I like where this is going....afe has no home here at the 5 series forum...unfortunately...maybe at the ford truck's forum it does!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Listen carefuly youngster, you might learn something.

Dyno testing is ONLY the final step in testing something. In tuning and modifying there are calculations, measurements, formulas, etc. you can do before wasting time with any of the nonsense some of these companies do. For an engine, you have intake, then exhaust. The most important thing about the airflow going in and our of an engine is velocity as it is directly tied in with volumetric efficiency. The temperatures ARE VERY important as that affects density which then affects velocity, which then affects VE. When you make components "as large as possible", youre slowing down the velocity. The intake air temperatures also greatly affect heat in the engine and therefore ignition timing as the DME/ECU's will bring timing down to prevent knock. Below is a typical ignition/iat map. You can see how the ECU is programmed to pull/retard timing when the intake air temperatures rise. You dont NEED to dyno to know that the hot air intakes dont work. Simply log the IAT and the underhood temps at the filters. Do you know how much power your car would lose when you pull 4-6 degrees of timing?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952201' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:57 PM
beyond that, there are just TOO MANY variables involved to do 1-2 dyno runs and determine "oh, that loses horsepower" - temperatures. Which run number is it? Was the car warm? Was the dyno calibrated the same both times? Was the hood closed both times? Was the fan on the same speed both times?

I could go on, but you get the point. The idea that this intake system loses power after the amount of R&D and the sophisticated equipment that goes into designing it is absolutely ludicrous.
Simple research goes a long way. All our dyno sessions are done 8ft from the car wtih an angle meter on our Paterson fan to ensure airflow is flowing at the same angle. They are always set to "O". Also, most people know how RPi dynos their cars. We do HUNDREDS of dyno pulls. 1-2? lol, thats for babies? Cool down? Thats for babies. Its funny how you can dyno a car 20 straight times with the stock intake but you CANT with an AFE intake as cars like the 535, etc go into limpy mode. lol
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952034' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:49 PM
Man, I hope you had a light lunch, because those are some big words you're eating. Might be wise to wait until the post is complete next time
Care to join us for a few runs?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Well, aside from the fact that I think it's extremely unprofessional for a vendor to come in and comment on another company's product (much less to sabotage the entire thread), I too have made this mistake a few times, so I will play ball.

We agree on the 1-2 dyno runs. That corroborates my point that people who go get their car dyno'd before and after and then claim they "lost" horsepower are ridiculous. Do 10-20 runs, like aFe does, and then let me know.

If you're going to state that aFe-equipped cars go into limp mode, you need to provide proof. Show me a video, side by side, with your product. How would you like it if someone stated "yea, RPI intercoolers will cause your engine to blow up." No facts, no proof. It's no different than what you just stated. Meanwhile, I've just posted VOLUMES of data with photos proving the extent of aFe's research. What have you posted?

I'm honestly unimpressed by a couple of screen shots posted without sufficient explanation. That's like using big words to create the illusion of intelligence. OK, you have the software. I'm sure your competitors do, too. I challenge you to post photos of flow dynamic machines, 6 engineers, and filtration measuring equipment IN HOUSE like aFe has allowed me to do.

To come in here and suggest that your manufacturing prowess is somehow superior to that of an OE supplier to Toyota is ludicrous. No offense, but who are you? Nobody here had ever heard of RPi two years ago.

Also, your posts give me some insight into why this forum, specifically, is so misinformed about aFe products.
I'm confident you have quality products, as evinced by the fact that we were in the process of adding them to our own website (at the request of one of your staff... however, this just confirms some of the bully tactics that Don Deguzman warned me of when dealing with RPi.

Don't hold your breath for our first purchase order, regardless of how great the margins (or the products) are - this is not how we do business.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952997' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:15 AM
Well, aside from the fact that I think it's extremely unprofessional for a vendor to come in and comment on another company's product, I too have made this mistake a few times, so I will play ball.

We agree on the 1-2 dyno runs. That corroborates my point that people who go get their car dyno'd before and after and then claim they "lost" horsepower are ridiculous. Do 10-20 runs, like aFe does, and then let me know.

If you're going to state that aFe-equipped cars go into limp mode, you need to provide proof. Show me a video, side by side, with your product. How would you like it if someone stated "yea, RPI intercoolers will cause your engine to blow up." No facts, no proof. It's no different than what you just stated. Meanwhile, I've just posted VOLUMES of data with photos proving the extent of aFe's research. What have you posted?

I'm honestly unimpressed by a couple of screen shots posted without sufficient explanation. That's like using big words to create the illusion of intelligence. OK, you have the software. I'm sure your competitors do, too.

To come in here and suggest that your manufacturing prowess is somehow superior to that of an OE supplier to Toyota is ludicrous.

Also, your posts give me some insight into why this forum, specifically, is so misinformed about aFe products.
I'm confident you have quality products, as evinced by the fact that we were in the process of adding them to our own website... however, this just confirms some of the bully tactics that Don Deguzman warned me of when dealing with RPi. Don't hold your breath for our first purchase order - this is not how we do business.

Why do I need to provide YOU with videos? Everyone has already seen it both on the dyno, street and track. Some companies are in the business of making money. Thats cool, but we're in the business of racing and making cars faster. No we dont have a gigantic facility like AFE, but if you want to come into the racing world, come prepared.

As for bully tactics, call it what you want. I take this crap seriously and very personally as RPi was started as a result of companies ripping me off with bogus products when I was a young car enthusiast. Trust me, we arent holding our breath for your purchase order. People sell our products because they want to make their customers cars faster...period. Again, its nothing against you personally but please, bring a stock car with your AFE intake and we'll do some runs on a stock car with our ram air. Ill have peopel video this. Trinity, who was a big AFE vendor saw it himself with his AFE car could not pull on a stock 335 LOANER car from the dealership.

People dont say our stuff will blow up an engine because NO one tests the cars harder than we do. If something was gonna blow up, it would blow up here.

Really, in the end, its you who is misinformed. Do your own research on engine tuning, intake velocity, etc. Any real tuner can tell you that the AFE intakes dont work.

Quick Reply: Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos