E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Jlevi, you did yourself and your company a huge disservice by posting this thread.

aFe intakes for the e60 are absolutely worthless due to heat soak issues because the aFe intake is not fully enclosed to shield the intake from the heat of the engine. You should not accuse other people of providing "misinformation" regarding the heat soak problem with aFe as aFe was unable and unwilling to provide E60.net with any dyno information to refute said "misinformation". This is not "misinformation", it is FACT.

Here are the facts.

1) aFe has a lovely manufacturing facility.

2) aFe intakes for the E60 are not fully enclosed and are worthless due to heat soak from the engine

3) aFe intakes are dyno proven to LOSE horsepower on every model E60.

4) aFe has was unable and unwilling to provide E60.net/5seriesforums.net members with dyno gains

5) aFe is hands down THE most hated manufacturer by members of E60.net/5seriesforums.net
Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='952519' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:06 AM
Jlevi, you did yourself and your company a huge disservice by posting this thread.

aFe intakes for the e60 are absolutely worthless due to heat soak issues because the aFe intake is not fully enclosed to shield the intake from the heat of the engine. You should not accuse other people of providing "misinformation" regarding the heat soak problem with aFe as aFe was unable and unwilling to provide E60.net with any dyno information to refute said "misinformation"

Here are the facts.

1) aFe has a lovely manufacturing facility.

2) aFe intake for the E60 in not fully enclosed and is worthless due to heat soak

3) aFe intakes are dyno proven to LOSE horsepower on every model E60.

4) aFe has was unable and unwilling to provide E60.net/5seriesforums.net members with dyno gains

5) aFe is hands down THE most hated manufacturer on by members of E60.net/5seriesforums.net
Well said. #5 is absolutely true.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952198' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:55 PM
When the filter itself increases airflow by leaps and bounds over stock, it is not possible for the car to lose horsepower, hot air or cold.
It doesn't matter that the air going into the engine is hot or cold?? Your statement is absolutely laughable.

Of course air intake temperatures matter. Colder intake air has a higher density and therefore, more oxygen. Many/most ECU's pull timing and reduce power when they measure high intake temperatures...this is done in order to prevent pre-detonation. Some cars are extremely sensitive to intake temperatures and lose large amounts of power when intake temperatures rise due to heat soak and/or high ambient temperatures, ie. aFe HOT AIR INTAKES LOSE POWER.

You might want to research the internal combustion engine and its intricacies.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series

Jlevi, is AFE willing to produce a CAI that is similar to that of ASR engineering? where the intake cone is basically outside the engine bay, right behind the kidney grills where it can be force fed with fresh air into the engine, then I would be willing to try it. I know that the current AFE CAI that I bought doesn't provide any gains over stock, but my car does sound good
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Let's say you're a runner.

Do you think you'd do better sucking cold air through 4" diameter pipe, or sucking furnace-temperature air through a sewer-pipe width pipe?

Capacity makes some difference up to the volume requirements of the engine. Temperature always makes a difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Anyone considering purchasing an aFe HOT AIR INTAKE may want to read through this thread. aFe intakes for the E60 LOSE HP due to heat soak.

Jlevi, you may want to want to read through the thread. I am sure you missed it as you only come here to make money off our members.

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63222
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='952542' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:33 AM
It doesn't matter that the air going into the engine is hot or cold?? Your statement is absolutely laughable.

Of course air intake temperatures matter. Colder intake air has a higher density and therefore, more oxygen. Many/most ECU's pull timing and reduce power when they measure high intake temperatures...this is done in order to prevent pre-detonation. Some cars are extremely sensitive to intake temperatures and lose large amounts of power when intake temperatures rise due to heat soak and/or high ambient temperatures, ie. aFe HOT AIR INTAKES LOSE POWER.

You might want to research the internal combustion engine and its intricacies.

+1

Exactly. That's why people use nitrous. Makes it seem denser and more oxygen can be burnt off. And why run meth on turbos? Why use intercoolers? Cooler air.

AFE should design something with their filter BEHIND the kidney grill. That way, you're getting the actual cooler air instead of heated "cold" air (a great oxymoron right? ). Can even do dual duct. One at the lower grill and one at the kidney grills. I wonder if that's any good.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952198' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:55 PM
LOL there was no horsepower loss. People dyno'd improperly, and didn't give the car time to adjust. When the filter itself increases airflow by leaps and bounds over stock, it is not possible for the car to lose horsepower, hot air or cold.

The only hot air issue here is everyone being filled with it as a result of misinformation.
Buddy you only feeding us bullsh*t.

We have been through the AFE fiasco here.

Move on to another forum, to sell your hot air intakes.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

This thread is gonna hurt someone's business...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952198' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:55 PM
The only hot air issue here is everyone being filled with it as a result of misinformation.

Quick Reply: Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos