E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another CNC machine I believe.

Lathe. It's like a milling machine of sorts for cutting things by rotating them. Hard to explain. Google it.

Bandsaws and normal factory-type stuff

Cantilevers full of exhaust pipes yet to be machined.

And the 1 series exhaust prototype!

So, that about concludes our tour. Pretty amazing, right?
I don't even know what to comment besides WOW - what a professional operation.

There are a lot of things we COULDN'T post - for example there are offices and rooms full of engineers, technicians, programmers... but only 3 sales people. When we asked how that could be for a company doing business in the 8 figures, our sales rep told us something that stuck with us... Essentially, he said "these guys consistently churn out top quality, innovative, and impressive products that sell themselves. They give me great stuff, I don't have to work hard to sell it."

An awesome operation, great people, quality products, and exciting new projects.

We couldn't speak any more highly of aFe, that's for sure.

Expect a great promotion coming soon, we worked with our sales rep to draft up something you all will really like.

Thanks for reading all of this, we hope you enjoyed it and appreciate your feedback!

Regards
Jonathan Levi
Jlevi StreetWerks, LLC
Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by oxycontin' post='952021

In-House Dyno. You know all the times we say that "this part gains 12HP" - We weren't bluffing. aFe does NUMEROUS runs, chooses the lowest number, and then uses that as their advertised gain. In reality, most of the parts make more power, but they, like any respected manufacturer, like to underpromise and over-deliver.

To those of you who think some of these parts may not make any power - or may even lose power... Not a chance. aFe tests in a multitude of conditions, allowing the cars the proper 50-100miles of driving time before re-dynoing in similar conditions. These parts are guaranteed to make power and increase efficiency.
Man, I hope you had a light lunch, because those are some big words you're eating. Might be wise to wait until the post is complete next time

Very sorry about the 4 month wait, though. Not sure why that is. Might not have been fully designed yet. As you can see, they can churn out an intake in house in no time. Sometimes we call and say "i know you're out of stock but I NEED this" - they just go in the back and make it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

very very nice clean operation... still haven't received my refund though.

michael
Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

We know what we got from aFe. That's all I have to say about that. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Members

Everyone still seems to be mad about the afe intake
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

hahah just a tad. but i gotta give them props for their setup.

Originally Posted by ferio' post='952101' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:58 PM
Everyone still seems to be mad about the afe intake
Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Impressive! If only they can fabricate a simple heat shield that fully enclosed their filter.
That should have eliminated/minimized heat soak that caused the horsepower loss.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='952117' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:10 PM
Impressive! If only they can fabricate a simple heat shield that fully enclosed their filter.
That should have eliminated/minimized heat soak that caused the horsepower loss.
LOL there was no horsepower loss. People dyno'd improperly, and didn't give the car time to adjust. When the filter itself increases airflow by leaps and bounds over stock, it is not possible for the car to lose horsepower, hot air or cold.

The only hot air issue here is everyone being filled with it as a result of misinformation.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='952198' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:55 PM
LOL there was no horsepower loss. People dyno'd improperly, and didn't give the car time to adjust. When the filter itself increases airflow by leaps and bounds over stock, it is not possible for the car to lose horsepower, hot air or cold.

The only hot air issue here is everyone being filled with it as a result of misinformation.
really...so how long is the proper adjustment time...
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributors

beyond that, there are just TOO MANY variables involved to do 1-2 dyno runs and determine "oh, that loses horsepower" - temperatures. Which run number is it? Was the car warm? Was the dyno calibrated the same both times? Was the hood closed both times? Was the fan on the same speed both times?

I could go on, but you get the point. The idea that this intake system loses power after the amount of R&D and the sophisticated equipment that goes into designing it is absolutely ludicrous.

Quick Reply: Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos