E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='424034' date='May 13 2007, 08:20 PM
it is for vehicles with the flasher build onto the connector. i think bmw uses the lcm and do not have flasher on the connector. it is replacement fix for the turn signal LED flashing too rapidly. the strobe light blinking 5 seconds effect is something else and has to do with the lcm sending low power electrical impulses to check for lightbulbs.

Thanks Rootkit for the clarification
Old 05-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='424039' date='May 13 2007, 10:56 PM
This is not true at all cos I have installed blue 1feet and 2feet LED inside the car and when I close my door all my blue led dim down, like the bulbs.
pinguhk, LED do fade, however not exactly the same as lightbulb. sorry for any confusion. in LED, the current & voltage is not-linear. for example, at 2 volts an led is barely lit (very little current)....as voltage increase very little to like 2 1/3 volt it will be very bright (large current). by adjusting the voltage, the fading therefore is not smooth. for human eyes, it looks like it came from really bright to very dim or vice versa.

the light rope pictured...has a build in chip circuit to make the dimming fade smoothly.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='424061' date='May 14 2007, 01:06 PM
pinguhk, LED do fade, however not exactly the same as lightbulb. sorry for any confusion. in LED, the current & voltage is not-linear. for example, at 2 volts an led is barely lit (very little current)....as voltage increase very little to like 2 1/3 volt it will be very bright (large current). by adjusting the voltage, the fading therefore is not smooth. for human eyes, it looks like it came from really bright to very dim or vice versa.

the light rope pictured...has a build in chip circuit to make the dimming fade smoothly.
your right the fade is not smooth, eg it like a video fps only half 15fps is there not full 30fph.
so what you saying is right, is there any thing that will make it smooth?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Contributors

maybe bruce can add a fade function to those cables. i think he is
not having enough fun with the cables yet

the lci taillights will be in later today.
i'll report back on how that goes.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='424102' date='May 14 2007, 08:43 AM
maybe bruce can add a fade function to those cables. i think he is
not having enough fun with the cables yet

the lci taillights will be in later today.
i'll report back on how that goes.
Fade function on an LED!! You want me to reinvent electronics... I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out how they've managed to get the low energy bulbs to dim these days. But even with that its not a smooth fade it fades in 4 steps.

For the record I'm having enough fun with the cables, or atleast as much fun as I can have without having the tail lights myself. Once I get my lights I'll be releasing a retrofit kit to produce the LCI effect on the pre-LCI cars. However it'll be expensive because I'm not a business and will need to put each one of these cables together by hand. Also the OEM parts bought in the UK are pricey too. Add p&p on that.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...some update

So, I detached the outter taillamps and I found that the inner (center) tails are acting now as brake lights LCM is wise
Of course, I get brake lights error message but I can live with it until we find a better solution.
They look much better now, no doubt.

Taillights, no brakes.

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-tails_1.jpg

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-tails_2.jpg

Taillights with brakes

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-brakes_1.jpg

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-brakes_2.jpg
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Nick, something else you can try to get an even better effect. Swap the fog and taillight plugs. Since the fog light is dimmer than the tail the LCI look will be better. Also the brake will not affect the LEDs because it will be in the circle away from the LEDs.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='424245' date='May 14 2007, 09:15 PM
Nick, something else you can try to get an even better effect. Swap the fog and taillight plugs. Since the fog light is dimmer than the tail the LCI look will be better. Also the brake will not affect the LEDs because it will be in the circle away from the LEDs.
Bruce there is no broblem with the LEDs, they are on 12V source now (when braking) They had a hard time braking for about 20 min.
There is no problem at all
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Nick what I'm saying is change the fog light to become the center and the center lights to become the fog light. That way the light behind the LEDs will be dimmer than the current brake light that you have in your set up.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='424250' date='May 14 2007, 09:26 PM
Nick what I'm saying is change the fog light to become the center and the center lights to become the fog light. That way the light behind the LEDs will be dimmer than the current brake light that you have in your set up.
You mean, like US cars, brake lights in the circle, but what about the fogs?? In the center??

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!