E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The US cars have the same pinout on the pre-LCI cars. Also since everyone is buying the Euro taillights it should be OK. The difference in functionality is coded into the LCM. So when a US person uses the cable the BFD will be on the circle light whereas when a EU person uses the same cable the BFD will be on the center light. Therefore all original features are retained.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 Alpine White 525xi

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423742' date='May 12 2007, 04:09 PM

This cable will not have the LCI lights effect but will light up all the new LEDs etc. All original functions of the car should be retained i.e. Brake, Fog, Brake Force Display, Reverse, Turn and Daytime Running Lights.

What LCI light effect will missing with this cable?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by Saridi' post='423760' date='May 12 2007, 10:55 PM
What LCI light effect will missing with this cable?
In the LCI cars the LEDs light rods are lit on their own in normal taillight of DRL mode. However with these cables the LED light rods will be on but will also have a dim backlight of the brake and taillight bulbs, thats the only difference.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Contributors

bruce, i was looking at the resistors on the cables and i cannot tell if it is in series or parallel with the turn signal LEDs? i think to slow down the 2x than normal turn signal blinking--the resistor should be in parallel with the LEDs. in other words, the connection of one end of the resistor goes to the turn signal pin while its other end connects to ground. the resistance acts as a light bulb in parallel with LEDs, tricking the flasher-- therefore, making the blinking more normal.

the power wattage rating of the resistor is correct. for a 6 ohms resistor, the minimum power rating is calculated to be 24 watts for a 12 volt source. just to test it out, i had a 5 ohms 50 watts rating resistor and connected it to 12 volts. i'm surprise how super hot the resistor gets, is that normal? almost as hot as a lightbulb itself! logically, it is dissipating as much heat as a taillight light bulb, but for some reason i never thought resistor could get that hot.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='423831' date='May 13 2007, 09:52 AM
i'm surprise how super hot the resistor gets, is that normal? almost as hot as a lightbulb itself! logically, it is dissipating as much heat as a taillight light bulb, but for some reason i never thought resistor could get that hot.
It won't get that hot when is connected to the turn lights, because of the blinking. I would say, no more than 50% (no constant power)
In addition, Bruce's resistor has a heat sink on it, which I think eliminates any damage probability.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='423840' date='May 13 2007, 03:36 AM
It won't get that hot when is connected to the turn lights, because of the blinking. I would say, no more than 50% (no constant power)
In addition, Bruce's resistor has a heat sink on it, which I think eliminates any damage probability.
very good point. that's true, we won't be using our signal light on all the time!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by SYBMW' post='423559' date='May 12 2007, 11:48 AM
You can but it from Ebay for $210 shipped. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-06-BMW-E...109073646QQrdZ1
These are not the same and you can not buy the OEM on ebay yet.
The ebay 1s are led in the red part and OEM are bulbs in the red part.
I like them both
Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='423742' date='May 13 2007, 04:09 AM
First set of completely "plug and play" cables are ready and going out to a guy on the M5 board.

Attachment 32164

These are made from all OEM parts and a heavy duty heat sinked Resistor specially designed for LED lights, just in case its needed. The only OEM part I couldn't find was the fabric tape used for wiring looms, my dealer ran out of stock of them. The tape used is fabric tape but the shiny type not the cloth type that BMW uses. The cables have absolutely no cuts of splicing in the cables. All joints are soldered at the connectors itself.

This cable will not have the LCI lights effect but will light up all the new LEDs etc. All original functions of the car should be retained i.e. Brake, Fog, Brake Force Display, Reverse, Turn and Daytime Running Lights.

Any one else interested can PM me. This is the cheapest of the cables. I'll be introducing more variations later once I can do some more work on these and I receive my own set of lights to test out my cables.

I'm away most of next week so in case you don't hear from me you know why.
wow heat sinked Resistor specially designed for LED lights.
my 1 heat sinked on my light is 2x bigger than the heat sinked on this cable
Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributors

[quote name='
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='423879' date='May 13 2007, 03:08 PM
wow heat sinked Resistor specially designed for LED lights.
my 1 heat sinked on my light is 2x bigger than the heat sinked on this cable
Are you referring to the size of the heat sink that was found on the aftermarket LEDs. Thats so big because its got more than one resistor in there in fact it probably has atleast 3.
My resistor should good for the turn indicators because of the short usage and thats the reason the resistor is on a separate long cable so that it can be screwed to the body or at least somewhere far away from other plastic parts.

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!