E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='422552' date='May 9 2007, 08:54 AM
Wow now im really confused. Is there a cable available for these to work or not??? I dont have the knowledge to do what nick did to have these work....My tailights are due to arrive today.
I'm with you. Following this thread has gotten me completely nauseas... haha

I was about to ask for a refund but it looks like they shipped my lights yesterday. Guess I'll keep them until BMW releases a retrofit kit or order one from Bruce.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

To clarify, I meant to say my lack of understanding of electronics made me nauseas, not you guys. I'm in awe at the talent and creativity you guys have to make sense of this stuff and make it work.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='422564' date='May 9 2007, 07:40 PM
To clarify, I meant to say my lack of understanding of electronics made me nauseas, not you guys. I'm in awe at the talent and creativity you guys have to make sense of this stuff and make it work.
No worries I can understand, you and Katheikia, you will have to wait a little more, but believe me it worth it. It is a huge refreshing on car's looks
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='422488' date='May 9 2007, 08:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply...wow! i've missed a lot of progress on this project...congrats nick for a great job! for your info, my cip version is still 24.xx something, so, most probably you're right about the bulb install on my wiring... anyway, remember me telling u guys it's the retrofit cable for e46, it is!...but not for coupe(led tail light), but retrofit cable for conversion to facelifted e46 sedan (2003 model)...part no : 61120140223...can anyone here check (in pictures too if possible...)(retrofit kit part no. :63210140252 See EBA 0142052)...hope this helps alot...

Has anyone checked this, is there a cable that we can buy to make our lights work??? If so which one??? I just received my lights today, and I feel very disappointed that I can't connect them.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Members

From the pictures and videos i've seen, it looks as those who've fitted the lights so far have the brake lights permanently switched on along with the tail lights...please say I'm wrong. Please could anyone upload some video showing me the brake lights working (going on & off) with the rear led bars just to confirm. Also, do the adaptive brake lights work?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Folks, As I said anyone who wants a plug and play OEM option can contact me. I'll even solder the resistors in place if you've got a CIP older than 25. So in return you will received OEM cables that you can simply plug into your new lights no electricals or wiring to handle.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Spig' post='422581' date='May 9 2007, 06:47 PM
From the pictures and videos i've seen, it looks as those who've fitted the lights so far have the brake lights permanently switched on along with the tail lights...please say I'm wrong. Please could anyone upload some video showing me the brake lights working (going on & off) with the rear led bars just to confirm. Also, do the adaptive brake lights work?
Spig, you may have a point there. Whats being done is the Tail Lamp is being paralleled with the LED bars. So those two will be on all the time. The Brake light is still a bulb and that should work as before even with the Adaptive braking feature..

Is there anyone with a 'real' LCI car who can put some pictures or video of the taillights with all the different combinations i.e. Only Tail lamp, Tail Lamp with Fog, Tail Lamp with brake and Taillamp, brake and fog. Then we can get Nick to see if we've got the combination right. Basically the LED bars can be paralleled up with any of the 3 Red bulbs still in use and the best one to use is the Tail lamp. However because the bulb is still there in the background it looks as though the brake light is on all the time.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Spig' post='422581' date='May 9 2007, 08:47 PM
There is no difference there. All that lights you mentioned are using the same (identical) wiring, inner circuit, bulbs and location, as the previous taillights.
The only difference is the additional LED bars, side marking LEDs (tail circuit) and the new turn LEDs which they've replaced the old turn bulb.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422586' date='May 9 2007, 06:55 PM
Spig, you may have a point there. Whats being done is the Tail Lamp is being paralleled with the LED bars. So those two will be on all the time. The Brake light is still a bulb and that should work as before even with the Adaptive braking feature..

Is there anyone with a 'real' LCI car who can put some pictures or video of the taillights with all the different combinations i.e. Only Tail lamp, Tail Lamp with Fog, Tail Lamp with brake and Taillamp, brake and fog. Then we can get Nick to see if we've got the combination right. Basically the LED bars can be paralleled up with any of the 3 Red bulbs still in use and the best one to use is the Tail lamp. However because the bulb is still there in the background it looks as though the brake light is on all the time.
Bruce wasn't there an extra pin? Maybe that is the brake function? Just a guess.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='422589' date='May 9 2007, 07:04 PM
There is no difference there. All that lights you mentioned are using the same (identical) wiring, inner circuit, bulbs and location, as the previous taillights.
The only difference is the additional LED bars, side marking LEDs (tail circuit) and the new turn LEDs which they replaced the old turn bulb.
Yes but I thought that the LCI lights didn't have the tail lights on all the time, just the LED bars, as I'm sure that's how I've seen the LCI's on the road recently. I'm sure the only time the old 'tail light' comes on is as a brake light. The old 'tail light' has been replaced by the LED bars, not aswell as them. I may be wrong but that's how i think I saw an LCI last week.

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!