E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='421538' date='May 6 2007, 01:43 AM
Sorry for the late reply...It was actually nicely wraped with wire tapes, you know, the black ones that workshops use, i actually opened it up so that it'll show what is actually done...if you notice, there are still marks of the adhesive on the wire that i've opened up, and fyi i'm still working on it...(i'm sealing it all back with 'loytape' now...) anyway, thanks for the info on the wires, i think nick is right, the guy that did the wiring must have purposely made the wires to connect like that...
Well, wrapping it with tape may prevent any shorts (if the cut copper does not poke through the tape), but it does not solve the problem of only two strands being connected in the blue wire. I deal with electronics and wiring everyday on my job and I can't think of any reason why that would have purposely been made like that. The blue wire should have looked just like the rest of the wires that have the insulation intact. If the blue wire is not needed at all then it should have been completely cut, not left hanging with two strands of copper. I would be curious to find out what reason he would give you if you asked him why it was done that way.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

i'll give him a call later...,i suspect that the small bulb wired up (for resistance purpose) was intended to be placed on both sides, but then when one side wired solved the problem(turn signals blinking too fast) he decided to just hook it back up...anyway before i put everything back in its place, i think i can manage to fix this by myself...thanks rodybmw.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Contributors

opened the other side of the lights...its confirmed, this side, a small bulb is connected on the same wire that was cut...i'll try connecting the left side properly and tell you what's gonna happen...
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Contributors

you were right rodybmw, i wired it up properly with a little bit of soldering on the metal connectors, and nothing happened...actually a more neater job compared to before...anyway, thanks for the good advice, you know, actually i was afraid that after tampering with the connections, it wouldn't work properly, but now that it's all tucked in neatly and on top of that, works properly, i think next time i'll post other mods in the future...
Old 05-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Since by now everyone knows that the lci rear lights are compatible and can possibly be installed without any programming of the car, does anybody here know whether if it's posibble or not to retrofit/mod the lci front headlights without any programming needed? i've been thinking of doing so...but, i don't know whether it's possible or not...i definitely like the clear corner looks and the new angel eyes...does anybody have any idea?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 AM
Contributors

bmw wpg31, when it initially blinks 'strobe light effect', how long did it last?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Nick or bmw wpg31 are you able to draw the circuit between the 6 pins on the original plug and the 7 pins on the new plug. Also which pins have the resistor or hidden bulb connected between. I'd actually be able to produce a neater Retrofit cable than that. I'd actually remove the contacts from the plug and solder a resistor at the connector rather than cutting the wires and leaving open uninsulated wires.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='421558' date='May 6 2007, 02:01 PM
Nick or bmw wpg31 are you able to draw the circuit between the 6 pins on the original plug and the 7 pins on the new plug. Also which pins have the resistor or hidden bulb connected between. I'd actually be able to produce a neater Retrofit cable than that. I'd actually remove the contacts from the plug and solder a resistor at the connector rather than cutting the wires and leaving open uninsulated wires.
I'm trying to find where, the two parallel inserted wires (violet-brown) to the top plug in the first picture, are coming from.
I will look at my wiring if they are existed and maybe wpg31 could confirm this too.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='421548' date='May 6 2007, 01:03 PM
Since by now everyone knows that the lci rear lights are compatible and can possibly be installed without any programming of the car, does anybody here know whether if it's posibble or not to retrofit/mod the lci front headlights without any programming needed? i've been thinking of doing so...but, i don't know whether it's possible or not...i definitely like the clear corner looks and the new angel eyes...does anybody have any idea?
Alex.br is willing to try them and he will keep us posted
Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='421548' date='May 6 2007, 07:03 AM
We will know it soon. I bought a set of LCI headlights. When I will receive them I will post the result.

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!