E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='421539' date='May 6 2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. If that wire is not necessary then don't connect it at all....if it IS necessary then that is a very sloppy job and if there is ever more than the slightest load on that wire it would burn the strands of copper like a fuse. Not to mention that it could touch something else and create a short. The brown wire next to it also has a nicked insulation..........looks like a soldering iron has melted the insulation and exposed some of the copper. If the exposed copper on the blue wire was to touch the exposed section of the brown one then there would be a short.

bmw_wpq31.....you should definitely have that fixed, and also check the right tail light to make sure there aren't any similar problems there.

Attachment 31667

I could bet, that guy has left only those two strands for safety reasons (fake fuse)
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

bruce, fyi, like rody said, that wasn't purposely done(exposed wires), it was considered as a sloppy connection...i've soldered the connections neatly and nothing actually happened...it still works as it's supposed to...and for rootkit, the blinking 'strobe light effect' (fyi on all the led's) is not a problem, it only occurs on the first time of switching on the lights (per ignition that is...)and it'll last for not more than 5 seconds...(i find this effect quite cool you know)...the problem that occured was the turn signals blinked too fast...that's why, like nick said a resistor was connected(in my case, the guy that installed the lights wired up a small bulb to make the turn signals blink like usual...and at the end, i was satisfied (even though i noticed later (after given advice by rody) that the connections of the retrofit cables were a bit sloppy, but that was a small thing that i solved by myself...) so, bruce, i'll see what i can do for you...i'll open it back up later and try to draw out the details of the connections, but bare in mind that i'm not actually knowledgeable in these electrical stuff, so i'll try my best to help you guys out...(that's why in the first place i wanted to post pictures and let somebody else out there that is more knowledgeable to draw out the diagram based on my pictures posted...)
Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Wooo I like that blinking light effect at first start - its cool.

Anyone around in NJ/NY area attempting this mod?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='421612' date='May 6 2007, 08:20 PM
bruce, fyi, like rody said, that wasn't purposely done(exposed wires), it was considered as a sloppy connection...i've soldered the connections neatly and nothing actually happened...it still works as it's supposed to...and for rootkit, the blinking 'strobe light effect' (fyi on all the led's) is not a problem, it only occurs on the first time of switching on the lights (per ignition that is...)and it'll last for not more than 5 seconds...(i find this effect quite cool you know)...the problem that occured was the turn signals blinked too fast...that's why, like nick said a resistor was connected(in my case, the guy that installed the lights wired up a small bulb to make the turn signals blink like usual...and at the end, i was satisfied (even though i noticed later (after given advice by rody) that the connections of the retrofit cables were a bit sloppy, but that was a small thing that i solved by myself...) so, bruce, i'll see what i can do for you...i'll open it back up later and try to draw out the details of the connections, but bare in mind that i'm not actually knowledgeable in these electrical stuff, so i'll try my best to help you guys out...(that's why in the first place i wanted to post pictures and let somebody else out there that is more knowledgeable to draw out the diagram based on my pictures posted...)
Check please where the two additional wires (gray and brown) at the side of the top connector in the first picture are connected.
I think that the brown leads to the other side tailight where the "resistor" bulb is fitted, but check this out please
Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

ok nick ...i'll do it first thing in the morning...it's now actually 1 o'clock in the morning here...i'll keep you updated as soon as i get to know whats with these two wires and where it leads...
Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='421613' date='May 6 2007, 08:26 PM
Wooo I like that blinking light effect at first start - its cool.

Anyone around in NJ/NY area attempting this mod?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='421617' date='May 6 2007, 08:36 PM
ok nick ...i'll do it first thing in the morning...it's now actually 1 o'clock in the morning here...i'll keep you updated as soon as i get to know whats with these two wires and where it leads...
Ok thanks and have a good night. I will probably receive my taillights tomorrow
I have to watch the final game in European Basketball now I'm a Panathinaikos fan, you know We will be the European Champions in two hours ...Ok maybe
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='421563' date='May 6 2007, 01:06 PM
I'm trying to find where, the two parallel inserted wires (violet-brown) to the top plug in the first picture, are coming from.
I will look at my wiring if they are existed and maybe wpg31 could confirm this too.
My guess is those are the connectors to the bulb/resistor. It still doesn't explain which pin on the 6 plug is shorted with the 7th pin on the new plug.

The rear lights have been hard enough to make them work even though they had all the same features as the old lights with the only difference being a few LEDs. The front lights have all sorts of the electronics to make them adaptive, self leveling and now the new cornering feature too. Also the new lights apparently use the xenons itself for flash to pass. Thats going to be a fun project, if ever possible.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Cool

Ok guys...here's the link to sendspace on the lci tail lights retrofit cable diagram (this is the best that i can do)...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4k9w76

i've tried my best to assist you guys on this mod...hope my diagram that i've done will help. nick or bruce, if you don't mind, can you post it on the forum, i still can't seem to figure out how to post attachments on the forum...it's in microsoft words format, the best that i can do for you guys...
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!