E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 M5

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='703651' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:23 PM
I don't want to go against anyone, but they offer AFE drop in filters for the stock airbox, same blue Pro-5r and Dry-s material as the CAI's do you think these would be any better than K&N or BMC filters.
I'm too lazy to search on the M5Board, but I do know that they put the BMC and the K&N side by side. The BMC had MUCH MUCH more surface area, while the K&N used a lot of rubber where filter should be. On the Dyno, BMC's alone don't do much. However, with scoops and max surface area, plus a more breathable element than stock, I would go with BMC>K&N>Stock.

AFE drop-ins? If they are even equal to the BMC's, I would still get the BMC's. It's like me going to a restaurant and ordering their Fried Rice and found a big fat roach in it as well as getting food poisoning. Not only did they NOT apologize, but made me pay the bill. I certainly wouldn't go back and try their Chow Mein, hoping that the roaches didn't get in there and that it was stored away from the rats, unlike the Fried Rice.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by EM_5' post='703660' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm too lazy to search on the M5Board, but I do know that they put the BMC and the K&N side by side. The BMC had MUCH MUCH more surface area, while the K&N used a lot of rubber where filter should be. On the Dyno, BMC's alone don't do much. However, with scoops and max surface area, plus a more breathable element than stock, I would go with BMC>K&N>Stock.

AFE drop-ins? If they are even equal to the BMC's, I would still get the BMC's. It's like me going to a restaurant and ordering their Fried Rice and found a big fat roach in it as well as getting food poisoning. Not only did they NOT apologize, but made me pay the bill. I certainly wouldn't go back and try their Chow Mein, hoping that the roaches didn't get in there and that it was stored away from the rats, unlike the Fried Rice.
What as analogy.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I took out my AFE air filter from my E63 and replaced with BMC filter. Showed a gain of 5rwhp on Dyno Dynamics. I'll post my dyno chart later. Need to get from RPI.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry Im late guys but I guess the questions were answered. cant wait until I have to replace that air filter myself
Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Why would you wait Nerwyll. Change it now.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='703885' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:10 AM
Why would you wait Nerwyll. Change it now.
oh, alright. we have them in stock anyway
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Members

Let me introduce myself. I am the Director of Customer Service at aFe. My email has already been posted on this thread. Just in case it is buried in this lengthy thread, it is paulhardley@afepower.com.

We do not ?lie? about our performance data nor do we manipulate our data to achieve better sales. We are very careful to get repeatable results obtained on our in-house Mustang dyno. I'd be more than happy to explain how we test and why to those who communicate directly with me. aFe stands behind our products 100% and, except for those here, our customers have been very pleased with our products. However, we realize we cannot please everyone all the time. If a customer is not satisfied with one of our products for whatever reason, we will work with our dealers and distributors to get the customer a refund if he desires to return it.

As Director of Customer Service, I will be the person authorizing returns and any refunds. Therefore, I would like to explain our return policies. Please contact the dealer or distributor from whom you purchased the product and request a ?Return Goods Authorization (RGA)?. The dealer or distributor in turn will contact us for an RGA number. When returning the product to us, place the RGA number on the outside of the box to identify it it as a return.

Upon receipt of the product, aFe will issue a credit memo to the dealer or distributor for the price that aFe received. The dealer or distributor is then responsible for refunding the purchase price that the customer paid. This is necessary as aFe does not guarantee the mark-ups and is not responsible for refunding the ?profit? the dealer or distributor made when he sells our products. If you bought your intake system directly from us, please contact me directly to request an RGA and on receipt of the system, we will refund the full amount you paid to your credit card.

Each of you are welcome to email me your questions or comments. PM through this forum may not be the best way to communicate as I do not frequent this forum. I will respond to your comments individually. But neither I nor ?afeengineer? will be commenting any further here because, as a manufacturer, we have learned that any comments we make will be treated with skepticism and derision. I'm sure my emailed responses will find its way here regardless. I look forward to receiving your emails.

Paul Hardley
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='704675' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:30 PM
Share some of that Gene
Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but at least we can get our money back.
Will

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi