E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

just a short update on the HDD swap topic.
I found a solution described in posting #46 on the e90post forum.
Here the link

extract:
Acronis can clone a drive with QNX partitions.

the solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinx
Thanks for all the info -- especially Chill! I installed a new HD in my car yestarday, and it's working great. I did it a bit differently, but got all the info from this thread.

I used a WD3200BEVE for the new drive, which is 320GB -- way too much, but the price wasn't much more. I put both the new and old drives in external cases, and connected to my desktop using USB. Then I cloned the original disk to the new one using CloneZilla. Then with both drives still attached, I booted into QNX using their live CD. I fdisk'd the new drive, and deleted the fourth partition, then created a new blank one using all remaining space. Then I formated it with initd -h /dev/hd10t80 (hd10 was the new drive). Then I copied all files from the old disk's fourth partition onto the new disk's fourth partition, except for the files in the root of the fourth partition starting with a dot -- I assume these are used by the OS. I found the qnx graphical tools useless, so just did everything from the command line to make sure I didn't mess up the original drive.

After reinstalling, I have 288 GB available for songs. That should be enough for 50 or 60 thousand songs!
Interestingly, I can mount the qnx4 partitions no problem in ubuntu. It supports qnx4 partition types out of the box using a live cd. The partition is mounted read only, but it's useful for poking around.

So it looks like it may be possible to delete the music partition once the drive has been cloned, and create a new replacement partition using the remaining space on the new HDD. Now here's the problem. I know nothing of Linux... Anyone familiar with the OS, and can help hammer out a process to delete and create partitions uning the Linux command line?

Based on my research the following device is a very good replacement choice:
- PhotoFast G-Monster 2,5" IDE V3 SSD 128 GB mit 64MB on-board cache
The fastest IDE SSD with already built-in garbage command.
Japanese manufacturer website http://www.photofast.co.jp/gmon25_v3.html
But I'm not 100% sure concerning compatibility - just have to test.

Has the time and opportunity to test change of the HDD based on the step-by-step description?

As soon as I have the CIC up and running I will order the SSD and give it a try.

br,
Matt
Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

I guess this retrofit is not quite over yet. our friends over in Russia were able to retrofit the new combox http://translate.google.com/translat...389184&act=url
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
I guess this retrofit is not quite over yet. our friends over in Russia were able to retrofit the new combox http://translate.google.com/translat...389184&act=url
How many of you might be interested in this?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Patrys
How many of you might be interested in this?
I am
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

I guess this retrofit is not quite over yet. our friends over in Russia were able to retrofit the new combox
Nelson,
Ironically Patryk and I just discussed this option a few days ago and I'm definately on-board also. There's no end to this mod madness.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dkoren
I can confirm that this works with an e63/4 as mine is working wonderfully, minus a bit of a screw up on my part.

I realized today that I was missing AM/FM. A bit of searching and I some how managed to not reconnect the Antenna wire. I pull the dash apart, but I can not find the black wire that powers the antenna. For you guys that have done this, any suggestions on where it might have slipped off to? It had enough slack that I was able to pull the CCC out fairly easily, but now it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Worst case I can order/run a new one but thats a bit annoying, however not so much as the missing wire.
dkoren - Did you also do the climate control and the I-drive? Can you post pics of the install in your e63/4?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by spat
dkoren - Did you also do the climate control and the I-drive? Can you post pics of the install in your e63/4?

I did do the Climate control, I'll be installing my maps discs this afternoon, I'll take a few pictures and post them for you.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Members

Patryk, keep me up to date on the combox retrofit... I'm curious and who knows may be looking for something new to do soon.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Patryk, keep me up to date on the combox retrofit... I'm curious and who knows may be looking for something new to do soon.
Dkoren, who's kidding who. As soon as this upgrade is available you'll be doing it too... Ha ha. Just kidding. It all seams a bit never-ending, doesn't it.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

Patryk,
I'm interested in this as well.

I read through the english translated russian forum - but didnt understood the solution at 100%.
Is it about more than retrofitting the combox + coding?

Matt

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Installation LOG