E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux. Output

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

As far as i know NAV-TV does not have a module for BMW yet....Only NAVWITHTV has one and it it video output only..

The power to my carputer comes from www.opussolutions.com, it has a delay shutdown of 20 min, i decided to go with 90W power probably will regred it later, they also carry 150W which has a delay shutdown of 1 hour. Besucly you plug that into the batery and using the ATX power cables plug that into the mother board.
You can read more about that Opus board. Besicly it turns on and shuts down your computer.

I payed $499 for Navwithtv unit.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Bimmerman

Originally Posted by TurboDman' date='Nov 5 2004, 10:10 AM
As far as i know NAV-TV does not have a module for BMW yet....Only NAVWITHTV has one and it it video output only..

The power to my carputer comes from www.opussolutions.com, it has a delay shutdown of 20 min, i decided to go with 90W power probably will regred it later, they also carry 150W which has a delay shutdown of 1 hour. Besucly you plug that into the batery and using the ATX power cables plug that into the mother board.
You can read more about that Opus board. Besicly it turns on and shuts down your computer.

I payed $499 for Navwithtv unit.
[snapback]52919[/snapback]
Thanks for the useful info; the guy from NAVWITHTV just called me back, he said $499 + ship and he recommended the fm modulator for the sound ($85). He said you unplug the wire behind the idrive screen, plug it into the RGB unit, and plug the wire from RGB unit to the screen + 12V power and Ground.

TurboDman, how do you ever go back to the regular iDrive screen without taking your dashboard apart and unplugging the RGB unit?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>DONT GET THE FM MODULATOR</span></span>

I got one not that expansive they are trying to rip you off you can get a modulator for under $30 bucks.... You will never get a good sound i had so much static not to mention all the time i spend trying to prefect it with Ground lopping and isolatating it if you can get the AUX its great sound plus it goes to your logic 7 contrall.. FM MODULATOR is crap...

As far as I-Drive if you need to used it you togle betweent he screens...the Navwithtv unit comes with a remote conral i velcrow it next to the screen so anytime i need to use I-Drive i just togle the switch and it goes back to idrive. your dvd player still keeps playing it does not turn it off, the only way to turn off the video module is to turn the car off.

If you ever worked on car stereos you be comftable enough to install the video module your self it took me 30 minutes cause i need to find a good 12v power wire .
Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Bimmerman

Originally Posted by TurboDman' date='Nov 5 2004, 10:28 AM
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>DONT GET THE FM MODULATOR</span></span>

I got one not that expansive they are trying to rip you off? you can get a modulator for under $30 bucks.... You will never get a good sound i had so much static not to mention all the time i spend trying to prefect it with Ground lopping and isolatating it? ? if you can get the AUX its great sound plus it goes to your logic 7 contrall.. FM MODULATOR is crap...

As far as I-Drive if you need to used it you togle betweent he screens...the Navwithtv unit comes with a remote conral i velcrow it next to the screen so anytime i need to use I-Drive i just togle the switch and it goes back to idrive. your dvd player still keeps playing it does not turn it off, the only way to turn off the video module is to turn the car off.

If you ever worked on car stereos you be comftable enough to install the video module your self it took me 30 minutes cause i need to find a good? 12v power wire .
[snapback]52925[/snapback]
I called VOB BMW in MD, and they said they could order the Retrofit Kit No 65 12 0 153 502 (AUX). It takes 2-3 business days, and costs $85. Im thinking if I should order it. I currently use iPAQ and Bluetooth GPS for my navigation that I put in a cupholder and works SUPERB! I am thinking if I should get AUX to connect the iPAQ to the stereo to listen to MP3s while on long journeys... I have read over english instructions for installing AUX, and it looks like an easy install job for me to do on my own (only gotta find plug X13813, anyone any ideas?)... Maybe down the road, I can connect the iPAQ to the RGB unit, so that I have a navigation on the screen with sound and everything... but that RGB unit is kinda pricey...
Old 11-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Members

The Screen has two wires going to it Power and Video the navwithtv module needs both to work.

i also want to mention another thing why fm modulator will not work. After messing around with my antenas i discovered that the new E60 has 3 radio antenas. In case that the radio is getting bad reception it will switch from one antena to the next antena with a better reception. Just though i drop that into the topic too

When you add everything app it will turn out to be around $1000 either way, because when navwithtv will come out with there own Audio/Video unit they will raise the prise to $800 or $900, i think the AUX is a better solution just because it goes right to your stereo. The AUX cost is $300 and navwithtv video module $499 so after everything it turns out to be teh same. The cheapest video module that i found was from this guys they have one for the 7 but not for the new 5 yet. http://avelectronic.com/products.htm
Old 11-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Titanium grey/Black, Automatic, Sport, Premium, Nav, HUD, Aux input, 35% tint all around.

TurboDman,

Thanks for all the great info. This is what I was waiting for... a successful install on a us spec e60.

The software upgrade necessary to recognize the aux in has been discussed repeatedly but without any real conclusion. Do you know what software upgrade was performed to recognize the aux in? Also, did you have an aux in option in your entertainment menu prior to the install? Or did it appear after the aux install?

Thanks again.

buzzeroo
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Bimmerman

Originally Posted by buzzeroo' date='Nov 5 2004, 11:50 AM
TurboDman,

Thanks for all the great info.? This is what I was waiting for... a successful install on a us spec e60.

The software upgrade necessary to recognize the aux in has been discussed repeatedly but without any real conclusion.? Do you know what software upgrade was performed to recognize the aux in? Also, did you have an aux in option in your entertainment menu prior to the install? Or did it appear after the aux install?

Thanks again.

buzzeroo
[snapback]52939[/snapback]
The instructions mention that you have to unplug the battery during AUX install. When you plug the battery back, it will recognize the AUX when you go to Entertainment menu and choose the sources (you should see AUX according to instructions). TurboDman, why is your AUX $300? is that installed? my dealer said that part is $85 not installed - install seems pretty straight forward, one probably can do it by himself. What do you think?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by PeterF' date='Nov 4 2004, 07:32 PM
tedmundson, you're a hero for posting the English instructions for E60! That should allow everyone to take it to their dealer here in the US and prove to them that this AUX input is indeed for E60s and easy to install.
[snapback]52760[/snapback]
I just went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and they were NOT able to install the aux input. If anyone has been successful installing the aux input in Los Angeles or Orange County, California please post the dealership and who did the install.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 5 2004, 11:11 AM
[quote name='PeterF' date='Nov 4 2004, 07:32 PM']tedmundson, you're a hero for posting the English instructions for E60! That should allow everyone to take it to their dealer here in the US and prove to them that this AUX input is indeed for E60s and easy to install.
[snapback]52760[/snapback]
I just went to Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and they were NOT able to install the aux input. If anyone has been successful installing the aux input in Los Angeles or Orange County, California please post the dealership and who did the install.
[snapback]52944[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry this was me forgot to log in.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Members

Hey guys kind of a busy day for a friday anyways to answere some of your questions.

Bimmerman: My part was $99 Ordered from NC and installed here in michigan. The dealership charged me $200. There is some kind of an installation equipment additonal needed with the entire install. I saw those english directions when i recieved my part from north carolina. Sure self installation is possible you can do anything the problem is BMW also wants to make money hehehe thats why to answere Buzzero software upgrade is required your stereo needs to have an additonal plug installed to it in which the AUX will plug in into.

Plus if you do this install your self, i am thinking you will hurt your warranty in some way.

Buzzero my entertainment function did not have the aux it appeared once the tech did the plug in to the stereo but still there was no sound. Then they started to coded and upgrading it to 13.3 i think thats the latest. After that i was able to get into tones and stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Aux. Output