E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20 inch wheels, no drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='209294' date='Dec 9 2005, 04:31 PM
Here's mine with 20s, sports pkg and not lowered. Not sure if it's clear in the pics but there's about a little over an inch gap. My car was rubbing occasionally, even with just 2 people but I just recently got the fenders rolled and it solved the problem. Haven't tried a fully loaded car yet though.

Attachment 13359
Attachment 13360

Does anyone know if 19's will rub without dropping the car...with the car fully loaded. I'm trying to avoid rolling the fenders unless necessary...and what's the approximate cost to roll? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

It's pretty safe to say that you won't rub with 19s, not dropped. I have 19s and I get a full load pretty often and no problems at all, didn't even roll my fenders.

I am thinking of going 20s sometime next year, the 19s are starting to look a little too small for me .
Old 12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

EuroCarFan; your car is awesome. great combo of wheels and black. do you have any side shots of it?

and what wax do you use? thats the shinest black ive seen!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='209977
Thanks for the quick reply guys. It's good to know that E60 owners are very supportive of noobs. If anything, I will purchase everything next year, so I will be sure to get back to you guys with photos! Thanks again!
Any hint of what you're planning on getting? What color is your car and what finish will your wheels be in? Just curious.
[/quote]

All feedback has been good information for me. I am also thinking of upgrading my wheels to 20's versus the 19's. I am concern about the wheels rubbing and the solution mentioned from the previous threads is to do the a fender roll. Is this something I can do? and how? Thanks for the reply in advance....
Old 12-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='209294' date='Dec 9 2005, 12:31 PM
Here's mine with 20s, sports pkg and not lowered. Not sure if it's clear in the pics but there's about a little over an inch gap. My car was rubbing occasionally, even with just 2 people but I just recently got the fenders rolled and it solved the problem. Haven't tried a fully loaded car yet though.

Attachment 13359
Attachment 13360
Hi EuroCarFan, can I ask you if it was just the back tires rubbing or all four. I'm planning on getting those rims in chrome. Not sure if I want 19" or 20". It seems like 20" fill out the wheel wells better. I'm leaning towards the 19" lately, just cuz I don't want to pay $1,000.00+ for that extra inch.
I also got the sports pack.
I'm trying to avoid rolling the fenders cuz I'm not sure if there is a shop in town that can roll them properly.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by pipper' post='212293
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='209977' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:38 AM
Fender rolling is actually a very common and safe method of alleviating rubbing. No harm is done to the car. The process just curves in the inner lip of the fenders so it's not touch the tires during bumps and dips.

I'm not sure what you mean by backspacing. I have staggered widths...20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rears. If you mean offsets, I actually don't know what mine are.

[quote name='yamato1' post='209476' date='Dec 9 2005, 11:48 PM']
Thanks for the quick reply guys. It's good to know that E60 owners are very supportive of noobs. If anything, I will purchase everything next year, so I will be sure to get back to you guys with photos! Thanks again!
Any hint of what you're planning on getting? What color is your car and what finish will your wheels be in? Just curious.
All feedback has been good information for me. I am also thinking of upgrading my wheels to 20's versus the 19's. I am concern about the wheels rubbing and the solution mentioned from the previous threads is to do the a fender roll. Is this something I can do? and how? Thanks for the reply in advance....
[/quote]

You should bring it to a shop that does fender rolling. There's a tool they use which attaches to the wheel hub and the other end presses against the insides of the fenders. Then they just roll the hub back and forth while using a heat gun on the fenders to prevent paint cracking. The cost should be around $30-$40 or so for each fender. I got mine rolled recently and no rubbing since.

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='212440

Attachment 13359
Attachment 13360
Hi EuroCarFan, can I ask you if it was just the back tires rubbing or all four. I'm planning on getting those rims in chrome. Not sure if I want 19" or 20". It seems like 20" fill out the wheel wells better. I'm leaning towards the 19" lately, just cuz I don't want to pay $1,000.00+ for that extra inch.
I'm trying to avoid rolling the fenders cuz I'm not sure if there is a shop in town that can roll them properly.
[/quote]

My car was rubbing mainly on the back right, possibly due to the gas tank, and sometimes at the front right but never at all four corners. Since I got the fenders rolled I haven't had any rubbing issues.

Another thing to note is that it also depends on the offset of your wheels. Some 20s don't rub at all. I believe ro11dice recently put on 20" Luffs and I think the back is even wider than mine, 10.5" and it doesn't rub.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='212630' date='Dec 17 2005, 05:15 PM
My car was rubbing mainly on the back right, possibly due to the gas tank, and sometimes at the front right but never at all four corners. Since I got the fenders rolled I haven't had any rubbing issues.

Another thing to note is that it also depends on the offset of your wheels. Some 20s don't rub at all. I believe ro11dice recently put on 20" Luffs and I think the back is even wider than mine, 10.5" and it doesn't rub.
Ya mine only rubs in the rear im running a 20x10" but I am also running a 285/30/20 but i htink if I ran a 275/30/20 i don't think i would have had any probs..

BTW i knwo fo an E60 with a 11" in the rear and 10" in the front so its not the sizes.. its about making sure you have the perfect offsets and the right tire sizes
Old 12-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='212630
EuroCarFan; your car is awesome. great combo of wheels and black. do you have any side shots of it?

and what wax do you use? thats the shinest black ive seen!!!
Thanks for the compliment pipper. Unfortunately I don't have any sideshots and as for the wax, I actually didn't use any... credit should go to ro11dice for his great camera and excellent photography skills on that day. However, I do recommend zymol wax.

Originally Posted by Brodie's Bimmer' post='212331
Fender rolling is actually a very common and safe method of alleviating rubbing. No harm is done to the car. The process just curves in the inner lip of the fenders so it's not touch the tires during bumps and dips.

I'm not sure what you mean by backspacing. I have staggered widths...20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rears. If you mean offsets, I actually don't know what mine are.

Originally Posted by yamato1' post='209476' date='Dec 9 2005, 11:48 PM
[/quote]

You should bring it to a shop that does fender rolling. There's a tool they use which attaches to the wheel hub and the other end presses against the insides of the fenders. Then they just roll the hub back and forth while using a heat gun on the fenders to prevent paint cracking. The cost should be around $30-$40 or so for each fender. I got mine rolled recently and no rubbing since.

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='212440

Attachment 13359
Attachment 13360
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the info.