E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

1200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just completed 1200 miles of breaking in on my E60 530i with Sport Package, Steptronic, the last 600 miles from Virginia to Maryland and back.

Some observations:
On highway driving, since the speed limit posted is at 65 mph, I cruised at 80 mph which really didn't feel like 80 mph. Seemed like 80 mph is a desirable cruising speed. I stayed in Automatic mode the whole time.

Active Roll Stabilization- tried it on numerous on and off ramps and could really differentiate the handling on the car. The last trial I performed was doing 80 mph on an on ramp with a posted recommended speed of 45 mph-car handled just fine and allowed me to pass at least 10 cars while negotiating the turn-combination right and then a left turn- without braking! (295S to 64E on ramp - for those familiar with the area)

Active Steering - you can virtually turn on a dime, contrary to other posts I've read, with wind gusts, I did not experience any sensitivity on the steering around 80-90 mph. I went as high as 100 mph briefly - say maybe 10 secs. Had good grip on the steering wheel and never had to fight cross winds.

Wind Noise / Squeak & Rattle - none, solid as it could ever be!

Gas consumption - I used half a tank for about 250 miles of driving, activated cruise control only once to see if it works-and it does. Maybe could have gotten better gas mileage with less agressvie driving methods.

I-drive - no problems, other than clearing the warning screen every time you start it up.

Some pet peeves:
My wife complained about the comfort of the front passenger seat, that it's a little bit too high and does not fully support her upper back and shoulders-she asked me to write BMW about this, she's about 5'6"-I really don't know what she's trying to describe other than the uncomfortable feeling.

Blind spot on driver's rear view mirror, occassionally had to double check if someone was to the left of me.

Cup holders - my wife would press the button but the damn thing wouldn't come out, so I'd press it for her and it comes out! I guess, it's an acquired art of press and release button!

Trunk release - I guess you can get used to it every time it jumps open!

Other items:
During the course of the drive, an E39 M5 literally hovered around the car while I was cruising around 85 mph, must be admiring the raptor's eyes, body lines, etc., I mean, he was in the front, right side, back and left side, he must have done this at least 3x before taking off!

Conclusion:

I am happy! Glad that I got this E60 with the right packages, now I need to do something about the 18 inch wheels that came with it-replace them with Hartge Classic - 19". Having the Sport Package - I hope I don't have to modify the suspension or have to do some minor body shaving or even limiting steering. If any one has ideas, please post, thanks.

Happy Driving!

ps does any one know if there is a service required after the break in period?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:44 PM
rem
Members

Great list of observations. I have put 3,300 miles on my 545i 6 speed and the only issues I've had are:

1) The cupholder did to me what it did to your wife. I now have the "touch."
2) Ashtray gets stuck. Need a replacement.
3) Was on vacation 7 days and drove a rental. Getting back to the 5er, I "forgot" about the active steering and oversteered, hitting a curb and scratching a rim.
4) noticed a slight knocking in the driver door when i got back form vacation. Turned out to be the window. I rolled it up and down a couple of times and it stopped.

The car rocks. It's a beast and I am happy I bought it. Your suggestion on the wheels sounds very interesting. 19" would be hot.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
rem
Members

Regarding your question about the service after break-in, I am realtively certain there is none, since I took the car in for snow tires and nothing was mentioned about it. I would think this would be programmed in idrive if it were necessary.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Members

No service is required. Glad to hear you are enjoying your car. I agree that it is silly that we should have to look at the anti-lawsuit screen every time the car starts. It would be more than adequate to have it come on for a certain number of key cycles when you first get the car. Or perhaps a time limit after which you could go into your center and have them disable it after you sign a form saying that yes you have seen that screen 100 times and you want it disabled. Or perhaps we could draw straws and then the loser gets up on a rooftop with a rifle and starts shooting people while screaming about how the startup screen in the car made him or her do it. Well ok, that might be overdoing it a little bit.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Members

thanks for the response! happy driving to all!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Members

I own a 545i with 1000 miles and totally love the car as you do. The only problem was the exact same complaint about the front passenger seat as your wife-uncomfortable for her upper back and neck. My wife is 5-3. I am 5-10 and have had no problem with seat comfort.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Members

wonder if there's a factory installed option - booster seat for the passenger seat?? just kidding!

actually, my wife was complaining that it was uncomfortable on long drives, i.e. when taking a nap, I guess the seats where designed to keep passengers awake and not miss the fun and excitement while being driven...