E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

new 545 impressions

Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There still seems to be some polarized opinion for the new 5, so I thought I would share my experience. It is a September build 545 that I picked up a week ago. Jet black, grey leather, anthracite, auto (changed from delayed smg), sports, premium, sound.

First, the car is a stunner in person. I get stares and compliments constantly. Joggers have come up to our house to ask about it. The interior grey/anthracite is beautiful. Not sure anthracite would go as well with anything else even black. This car has the black matte window trim which is mandatory in my opinion, but interestingly has the metallic door handles unlike others in this forum who have the wood there. Quite honestly, I had an issue with the look of the front lights, but in person this went away 90%. It actually is less an issue every day as I notice some extremely funky headlight clusters on new models on the road. Cosmetics get an A.

Second, it drives amazingly. Consider: it is lighter than the convertible m3, has ~5 less horsepower than the m3, has same tires and wheel size as the e39 m5. It absolutely carves into corners stuck to the road. The active steering is a must. I drove both the new 5 and an m3 around the track at Spartanburg and the cornering agility and drive is surprisingly comparable. The m3 driver was a little blown away (we switched cars for a few laps). The electronically controlled roll bars are very impressive. Brakes are crazy huge, 13.5?. Braking distance 50-0 was 72 feet for me at the track. Drive is an A.

Third, idrive is really not that complicated. It is obviously not as easy as having buttons for every function littering the dash, but then, you don?t have buttons littering the dash. The trade off for me is a winner. You still can control most sound and hvac functions without idrive. Sound system is the best I have come across in a stock car. Interior finish and functionality get an A- (metallic door handles cost ?em an A).

Note, as a bonus, a few idrive clicks will leave the a/c or heat on for 30 minutes when you pull the keys out. That is so great for hot summers or brutal winters.

Bottom line, I love the car. It has exceeded expectations. True, it is an auto, but I am a family guy now, and this steptronic is almost as fun as my old e36 m3. Do Mercedes owners drive around with their radio off to hear the engine? I don?t know, but I do. The only drawback is keeping it under 4500 rpm for 1200 miles.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Guest_Eddie D

Congrats on your new car. I expect delivery of my 545 sport within the next two weeks. Based on your comments I'm even more psyched. I was told by my salesman at Laurel BMW that the door pulls on all cars with the sports package have the aluminum trim. I personally think it looks better that way. Do you need winter tires and if so what are you going with? I'm inclined to get the Dunlop winter sport M-3 with the 18 inch wheel.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Members

New e60, congrats on the new ride. Are you in the S'burg area? I'm in Greenville and have similar setup except beige interior and 6 speed manual so we may run into each other. Strange as I took delivery a few weeks ago and mine does have the wood on the door pulls.

Did not turn the radio on for 3 days while driving. The engine sound over 3k rpm is awesome.

Just turned 1200 miles so I have opened it up today. As a warning you may want to set the speed limit warning on the I drive to protect your licence.

Have fun
Old 11-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Members

Farbton,
I need to ask about the door pulls. are you saying the 12 inch or so piece is all wood? pls let me know if you have anthracite or poplar as i need to ask the dealer about it.

i am in georgia, so you probably will not see me driving around.

jealous that you have already broken it in. i am looking at january before i get to 1200! life must be very, very good above 4500 rpm!!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Members

Yes the angular 12 inch (or so) piece is wood. With the beige interior I got the poplar wood trim. though it would look better with the beige. the anthracite seems to be better with grey or black.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:35 PM
rem
Members

Just signed off on my factory order today for 545 manual. silver/grey with black int. and poplar trim. sprts/sound/cold weather/distance ctrl. having read these posts, i'm even more excited than i was. hope to take delivery before christmas then plan to drive frm ohio to texas for the holidays (what a way to break it in). this is my first bmw...glad i found this forum. i'll be back to report my experiences.