E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wind Noise from Sun Roof

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

As I mentioned above, I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow (Friday 27th October), so that they can take my car for a drive to listen to the wind noise them selves and come up with a fix.

I have read about people complaining about sun roof wind noise at high speed (70mph/110kph +), but have only seen a posted fix about changing the rubber seals. Is this all it is? No other possible cause?

I would really appreciate some feedback from those of you who have fixed this issue in the past, so I can get this sorted in one go and not having to going back to the dealer...

Please help!

Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nov.2005,545i Black Sapphire, Auburn interior,SMG,Sport Package,Rear spoiler,35% tinted windows,Sirrius Radio,Xenon lights,DINAN High Flow Intake,DINAN Thottle Body, DINAN Free Flow Exhaust,DINAN 19" wheels,DINAN flywheel,

Originally Posted by gabman' post='122828' date='May 2 2005, 07:08 AM
Anyone experiencing excessive noise from their sun roof when driving on the highway?

My car is going in for a new windshield today and I want to mention sun roof problem to dealer, just don't want them to worsen situation.

Is a bit of noise normal when roof is closed? When sunshade is closed noise is not evident.

Is this a simple adjustment or do they have to take it apart?

Thanks

I have same problem
When glass portion of sunroof closed but sunshade or cealing open wind noise is loud enough to notice
I usually close the shade portion and noise goes away
I dont even want to mention it to the Dealer, since a metal to metal cling noise I have had for 22 months coming from back seat, fold down type, has been checked by my Dealer seven times , they have lubricated the latches, they conditioned the seats, etc. etc It is still there
Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

My 530xi has the same problem. The car was at the dealership last week to have the moonroof popping noise (when closing the moonroof from the tilt position) fixed. I told them about the wind noise, but that did not get fixed. The tec. said that the roof was fine per manufacturer's design and specs.

I am going to take it back and try again to get it resolved. If anyone gets their's repaired please let me know.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='349666' date='Oct 28 2006, 06:17 PM
My 530xi has the same problem. The car was at the dealership last week to have the moonroof popping noise (when closing the moonroof from the tilt position) fixed. I told them about the wind noise, but that did not get fixed. The tec. said that the roof was fine per manufacturer's design and specs.

I am going to take it back and try again to get it resolved. If anyone gets their's repaired please let me know.
I was at the dealer on Friday to have them listen to the sun roof wind noise at high speed.

There is a slight difference in noise depending on whether you close it from the tilt position or the open position. Also the speed at which you close "could" also impact how it closes and if wind noises is greater or less. Difficult to judge as its all so subjective and so many (other) noise influences around the car anyway.

The guy from the service dept who went in my car to inspect the noise told me that the root cause could be a number of issues, such as the rubbers seals or simply adjusting the alignment.

My car is in next week to have the winter wheels fitted and they will also fit a new rubber seal to the sunroof. I will report back after I have tested it... fingers crossed it works!

cheers
Old 10-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: '08 Infiniti G35s, sport, nav, etc. Former: '06 530i, sport pkg

Coyote, I have the whistling issue at about 85 mph. It last to about 95. This sucks because it forces me to drive faster or slower than that range when I would otherwise like to be going, say, 90 mph.

I also have the glass roof closed/sun screen open noise problem.

Neither of these conditions is acceptable. I look forward to xBMWx letting us know whether the dealer can fix the problems.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MyFirstBMW' post='349739' date='Oct 28 2006, 10:56 PM
Coyote, I have the whistling issue at about 85 mph. It last to about 95. This sucks because it forces me to drive faster or slower than that range when I would otherwise like to be going, say, 90 mph.

I also have the glass roof closed/sun screen open noise problem.

Neither of these conditions is acceptable. I look forward to xBMWx letting us know whether the dealer can fix the problems.

RUBBER SEALS CHANGED = WIND NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED !!

My BMW dealer swapped out the the Rubber Seals on the Sunroof. They did not mention anything about changes to alignment etc., so assume they only made the Rubber Seal change.

So far I have had the chance to test the wind noise up to 100mph/160kph and it was gone. There was only the normal wind noise you have around the glass at that speed. I just hope I do not have to go back every 4 months to get new rubber seals fitted...

Cheers
Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='352546' date='Nov 5 2006, 06:11 AM
RUBBER SEALS CHANGED = WIND NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED !!

My BMW dealer swapped out the the Rubber Seals on the Sunroof. They did not mention anything about changes to alignment etc., so assume they only made the Rubber Seal change.

So far I have had the chance to test the wind noise up to 100mph/160kph and it was gone. There was only the normal wind noise you have around the glass at that speed. I just hope I do not have to go back every 4 months to get new rubber seals fitted...

Cheers
Read on previous threads that the dealer would re-align the sun roof and the noise would diminish at slower city speeds. However once you hit 60 mph and above the noise becomes unbearable. Took my car back to the dealer test drove it and they changed the rubber seal and problem solved.
Good Luck !
Old 12-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

Actually, mine was just fine till I went in for a "creaking" when I would move it out of the vent position. They replaced the rack and added more lubricant. Since then, it seems the foreward most portion dips down too far, causing a whistle noise at higher speeds. It gets so bad that I can hear it over the radio @ or above 50 mph. I'm going to add this when I go in for an oil service. It is very irritating, but I just don't have time to fight this battle.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Yes, mine has developed this wind noise recently...probably colder weather on the seals, like the creaking windshield. I close the inner shade and that seems to minimize it. A deflector is a waste of money; besides, it has a leading edge pop-up deflector built in.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i need to take mine in for the sunroof.. i dont know why but when i open it, it sounds like its about to break.. like it gets stuck for a while or something... there's nothing thats not letting it open though...

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from Sun Roof