E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wind Noise from Sun Roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Originally Posted by hmc' post='389511' date='Feb 9 2007, 11:33 PM
Can anybody help find the bulletin number please? This way we can bring this number to the dealership and ask seal replacement which seems to be the only way to fix it.

In the meantime, can Wiu-Bimmer take a look at the receipt and see if there is a bulletin number listed for the job.

Thanks
Yeap, that would help me too...
Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Just checked the service invoice, no bulletin stated, sorry, all it says is:

J# 2 54BMZ *SUNROOF CHECK HOURS 0.88 TECHS: XXXX WARRANTY
CUSTOMER STATES WINDNOISE IN SUNROOF WHEN SHADE IS OPEN.
SUNROOF SEAL SHRUNKEN
FOUND SOME WINDNOISE PRESENT FROM SUNROOF GLASS. REPLACED DRIED AND SHRUNKEN SEAL AND ADJUSTED SUNROOF GLASS.
PART NUMBER 54 13 7 117 551
Old 02-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Here are the sunroof adj procedures from TIS. No noise after that.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='389852' date='Feb 10 2007, 08:57 PM
Here are the sunroof adj procedures from TIS. No noise after that.
Where?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Members

sorry, it doesn't allow me to upload a tif file. Give me your email address and I will email it to you. BTW, since you are in Branchburg you can take your car to Hunterdon BMW to adjust it for you. They have done a great job for a couple of people with the same issue.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Gabman,

I have a couple of personal observations which may aid you. First, on my 2005 545, I almost always drove with the sunroof panel closed because the ambient noise with it open was - I thought - a bit on the loud side for such a high priced and refined vehicle. What you're experiencing may be normal.

Second, I've experienced a slightly different problem on my wife's 2005 X5. I noticed it when we first took delivery (as CPO) about 1 1/2 years ago. The prob only occurred at high speeds (80+ mph). It would suddenly emanate a high pitched whistle from the sunroof. I found that if I stuck my fingers into the forward lip of the sunroof area (inside the car of course - the area where the sunroof retracts into), and pulled down on the metal tab in there that the noise would stop. When I released the metal piece, the noise returned.

I also discovered through experimentation that this problem would manifest itself at lower speeds if driving into a head wind.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get the dealer to repro the problem. Something about liability during a test drive at 80 mph.

Well, the good news is that in spite of my frustration with the dealer at the time, the problem seems to have disappeared. I'd say that it seemed to mysteriously stop happening after we'd owned the car for about 3-4 months. The only reason I can think of is that perhaps the sunroof was just not seating properly all the time when it closed, and perhaps it eventually sorted itself out. I've owned several BMW's over the years and found that they ALL have weird quirks. I don't know how many times I've taken a Bimmer in for service on some strange issue only to find it's "working as designed."

Bottom line is my suggestion for you is to do as much research on your own as you can before you have the dealer look at it, and then hope for the best! I know that's not particularly helpful, but sunroof problems are difficult to diagnose and confirm.

RR
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='391808' date='Feb 15 2007, 03:03 PM
Bottom line is my suggestion for you is to do as much research on your own as you can before you have the dealer look at it, and then hope for the best! I know that's not particularly helpful, but sunroof problems are difficult to diagnose and confirm.

RR
I agree - cars are so complex now adays, the more info you can bring the dealer, the quicker they should be able to help you. That's where this Forum helped me get a lot of good info about my sunroof problems and do some investigations of my own up front before taking it to be checked and fixed by my dealer And as you said RR, then its a case of hope for the best...!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

me too, I am having this sunroof noise problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='389865' date='Feb 10 2007, 09:32 PM
sorry, it doesn't allow me to upload a tif file. Give me your email address and I will email it to you. BTW, since you are in Branchburg you can take your car to Hunterdon BMW to adjust it for you. They have done a great job for a couple of people with the same issue.
Thats where I have taken mine to fix wind noise from sunroof, they did some "Drain" and claimed they cant seem to reproduce it! They test drive on Rt.22 for 1-2 miles which is normally a quiet road, so hard to tell any wind noise leak..
I have requested several times to let me talk to Tech so I explain it better... but Tim (from Service) didn't allow me to do that. I hoped I could take the tech for drive and show him exact problem. According to my Service Report, the diff in Car Miles-in and Miles-out is 1Mile!!

So not sure how 2 "quality check" drivers drove 0.5 miles each and decided there is no problem with it.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Members

The 1 mile on Rt. 22 which is quiet is probably good enough to tell if there is noise or not. Tim is new (he is good but can be overwhelemed at times) at the dealership and probably you would have better luck with either Chris or Michelle. Brian (tech) is good and usually busy but if he has time he will have no problem to come with you for a ride (he has come out with me).

The other option is to try some other dealer (see my other post for good dealreships in NJ).

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from Sun Roof