E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wind Noise from Sun Roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

Originally Posted by gabman' date='May 3 2005, 07:02 AM
My car is is in the shop, I will let you know if they fix it once I get the car back.

Presley 348,

The noise that I am speaking of is when the roof is closed. No offense but,
I would rather have a bird poop on my head when the roof is opened before I would consider putting a wind deflector on my baby. lol
[snapback]123349[/snapback]
I never drive on the highway with the sunroof fully open because of the noise, but I agree with Gabman, I would never put a wind deflector on my roof because it takes away from the natural lines (beauty) of the car and cheeses it out. Just my opinion.

SveaRike
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by gabman' date='May 2 2005, 06:08 AM
Anyone experiencing excessive noise from their sun roof when driving on the highway?

My car is going in for a new windshield today and I want to mention sun roof problem to dealer, just don't want them to worsen situation.

Is a bit of noise normal when roof is closed?? When sunshade is closed noise is not evident.

Is this a simple adjustment or do they have to take it apart?

Thanks
[snapback]122828[/snapback]

Me too and its annoying. I would have the sunshade open all the time if not for the noise. BTW, my wife's 2002 GMC Yukon XL does not have this issue.

Nick
Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

funny.......I was thinking about starting a thread about this tonight......I can't hear a thing if my shade is closed, but with the shade open, which is really cool, especially at night, there is way more noise than there should be....no other vehicle I've owned has been this way. I would love to have it fixed, but I would also not want to make it worse, or have my moonroof screwed with to the point it starts leaking, or becoming more noisy!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nickferr' date='May 3 2005, 11:44 PM
[quote name='gabman' date='May 2 2005, 06:08 AM']Anyone experiencing excessive noise from their sun roof when driving on the highway?

My car is going in for a new windshield today and I want to mention sun roof problem to dealer, just don't want them to worsen situation.

Is a bit of noise normal when roof is closed?? When sunshade is closed noise is not evident.

Is this a simple adjustment or do they have to take it apart?

Thanks
[snapback]122828[/snapback]

Me too and its annoying. I would have the sunshade open all the time if not for the noise. BTW, my wife's 2002 GMC Yukon XL does not have this issue.

Nick
[snapback]123713[/snapback]
[/quote]

=======================

Hi Nick:

My e60 530i don't have this annoying problem! I would think it should be covered under your BMW warranty and you might want to check in, (Or raise Cain! Jk LOL) with you local BMW service dept, and get them adjust it!

I wish you the best!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by SveaRike' date='May 3 2005, 07:55 PM
I never drive on the highway with the sunroof fully open because of the noise, but I agree with Gabman, I would never put a wind deflector on my roof because it takes away from the natural lines (beauty)? ? of the car and cheeses it out. Just my opinion.

SveaRike
[snapback]123623[/snapback]

you know we are talking about the glass of the roof being closed, just the sunshade part being opened, right? ;-)
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='123719' date='May 3 2005, 06:05 PM
funny.......I was thinking about starting a thread about this tonight......I can't hear a thing if my shade is closed, but with the shade open, which is really cool, especially at night, there is way more noise than there should be....no other vehicle I've owned has been this way. I would love to have it fixed, but I would also not want to make it worse, or have my moonroof screwed with to the point it starts leaking, or becoming more noisy!

Mine is very loud with the roof "closed" and the screen open. Also when I get somewhere around 80mph I get a very loud whistling sound...anyone else have this?

Coyote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by SveaRike' post='123623' date='May 4 2005, 07:55 AM
I never drive on the highway with the sunroof fully open because of the noise, but I agree with Gabman, I would never put a wind deflector on my roof because it takes away from the natural lines (beauty) of the car and cheeses it out. Just my opinion.

SveaRike
that wind deflector is very ugly makes the car too very cheep
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Looks like someone just "re-opened" an old thread, but was there ever an answer on this?

By chance my car is going to the dealer to be checked at the end of the week, because the noise from my sun-roof has become louder and louder over the past couple of months. I have done 20+K since July, but would still expect the fit/parts to hold A LOT longer than this.

Anyone have any feedback / suggestions to help with when I approach the dealer?

cheers
Old 10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Members

I too have the horrible wind noise when the shade is open (which is most all of the time). I had the same problem on an brand new Audi 2.7T (except even worse!) and the dealer adjusted it and it was fixed. I am going to ask the dealer to adjust the BMW too. I drive on I95 daily and it is too loud for this class of car!

PS. i also have a strange sound something like a creaking or rattle - seems like it is coming from the passenger side door and it to is very annoying. NOT AT ALL PLEASED WITH THE OVERALL NOISE LEVEL IN THIS CAR! But the drive is fantastic.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by exaudis' post='348892' date='Oct 26 2006, 07:41 AM
I too have the horrible wind noise when the shade is open (which is most all of the time). I had the same problem on an brand new Audi 2.7T (except even worse!) and the dealer adjusted it and it was fixed. I am going to ask the dealer to adjust the BMW too. I drive on I95 daily and it is too loud for this class of car!

PS. i also have a strange sound something like a creaking or rattle - seems like it is coming from the passenger side door and it to is very annoying. NOT AT ALL PLEASED WITH THE OVERALL NOISE LEVEL IN THIS CAR! But the drive is fantastic.
The door will be the rubbers seals that are old and need to be changed.
I have this too after I installed the H&R sway bars. But you got to give and take.
I also try the to put some leather polish on it but after 3 weeks it is back again so I just left it and turn the radio louder. and this dose fit it.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise from Sun Roof