E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could do with the steering wheel tilting down a bit more and coming out a bit more as well but not a major problem.
I don't like the clown's nose on the interior mirror at all - I think it really lets the whole car down. Looks so cheap looking.

The biggest gripe I have with the car/BMW is that they make it very hard, if not impossible, to retrofit options. On most cars I've had in the past there's one wiring loom regardless of what options were added at the factory. This meant that if you wanted to add them later you just plugged them in. BMW seem to custom make each loom for each car which means if something like folding mirrors wasn't specified at the factory then you can never have them. That must surely be uneconomical and more time consuming to do surely?

Oh, and why can't you get headlight washers on an E61 when you can on an E60? Aren't they the same at the front?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:54 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='537170' date='Feb 28 2008, 01:53 PM
Oh, and why can't you get headlight washers on an E61 when you can on an E60? Aren't they the same at the front?
Off cause you can, I have them. With Xenon they are required by law.

I think it's stupid that the seat belt chime continues even when the car is reversing or stationary. It's quite annoying maneuvering in my garage.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='537167' date='Feb 28 2008, 04:47 AM
...The smaller compartment in the armrest is fairly annoying also; should just be 1 large compartment.
I thought that too at first, but I've adapted to the odd design (I believe the top, small compartment was designed initially for a phone) and I now use the small compartment for housekeys, Chapstick and change, and keep less frequently used stuff below in the bigger compartment.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Members

I thought I'll have a 2nd moan. Although I love the Active Steering for city driving, I hate the fact that it magnifies every imperfection of the road surface in the form of steering feedback when driving on motorway/freeway, and in a long journey, that really is annoying and tiresome :thumbsdown: . (couldn't feel such road imperfection on my old E39)
Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 AM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by lylerichards' post='534575' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:48 AM
4. The Homelink garage door open only functions whenthe car is on, so you are starting your car with the garage door down.

Just my .02
If the Homelink was powered all the time, it would be too easy to break in to your home if the car was parked outside. Having said that, the Homelink could be powered as soon as you hit the unlock button. As a workaround, in case you are paranoid about starting your car in a closed garage, you can insert the key fob, press start with foot off the brake pedal. At that point the Homelink is powered up.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' post='534286' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:46 PM
The worst thing about the E60 is how the temperature controls have preset temperature numbers written around the dials. All other BMW models except the 6-series and Z4 display the temperature readout digitally.

Hear, Hear, I agree! I miss my 540i/6 digital readouts! I guess it would have been to complicated to add it to the iDrive as most people don't know how to navigate it.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Slowhand11404' post='535050' date='Feb 23 2008, 04:40 PM
Also - the way the mirrors adjust when you put it in reverse. I am trying to back out of a narrow spot in my garage and instead of seeing if I have clearance - I am looking at the ground.........
If you put the Mirror Selector in the Right-Hand position it won't make the passenger-side mirror move in the up/down backup mode.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TX Buzzard' post='536938' date='Feb 28 2008, 03:13 AM
The e60 is so near pefect I hate to even mention this... but I wish it had more than just one trip odometer.
You actually do have two of these. One is in the instrument cluster and you reset it using the button there (I usually reset it when I refuel) and there is another one in the Navigation->Onboard info->Journey computer. I use this later one to measure my trip.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='537167' date='Feb 28 2008, 03:47 PM
When the low fuel warning chimes, it seems to prevent other functions from being displayed properly in the idrive; ie.bluetooth, nav.
No, it does not. Click the (upper) CHECK button on the end of the indicator stalk and that will make it go away. Click and hold the same button to bring the warning(s) back.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Members

(repost. someone please delete this one)

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?