E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Open diff. Too lazy to read through 14 pages...anyone mention this yet? Retarded
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='648499' date='Aug 17 2008, 06:24 AM
maybe it's just me, but on the idrive display, the lower left info always seems to be telling me what I don't care about. With an ipod, it shows "CD1-xxx" some song number, with a CD, I know it knows song names, but instead, it shows track number, with the radio in RDS mode, it shows me info that is usually wrong.

And, with the RDS turned on, the radio menu is useless, but when you turn it off, you lose all RDS info.

Any fixes to this???

Lewis

Speaking of RDS, why doesn't the BMW, which costs almost 2x as much as my previous Audi, display more info than just station call sign? The Audi systems display everything the station broadcasts, like artist name, title, their number, etc. Plus, not too crazy about the UI design of the radio itself. I know they were trying to keep in line with the horizontal scrolling of old school radios but that design is crap. What they should've done was designed a vertical scroll interface that scrolls smoothly with large, easy to read text. There should be 7 rows of stations visible. On the left of the vertical scroll dial, put the station number, then next to it, the station call sign. Then, overlay a "currently selected" design treatment on in the center of the screen that highlights features the currently selected station. In this currently selected design treatment overlay, put in a field for the *full* RDS data being broadcast.

I love the way the Germans design their exteriors, but their computer UI are crap. My ideal car would be a German design exterior, Japanese designed interior (my bro just bought a 08 Lexus R400h and I love that interior, BMW went overboard in trying to simply things--you can't put everything in an iDrive! I want my dedicated HVAC buttons back! It's ridiculous to have to dig thru the iDrive just to set vent distribution, esp when a passenger can so easily press the AUTO button and the iDrive resets it, losing all your settings! ) and American (Apple to be specific) designed computer UI. Now, that's the kind of globalization I can be happy with!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbone550i' post='534492' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:40 AM
Oh my goodness......I feel like a newlywed that just stumbled on to some old married people's chat room. Why is everyone hating on the E60?
With all due respect, it's not hating. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of my car but I'm not a "fan boi," there's a difference. And that difference is that we realize that our cars aren't perfect and have enough annoying, overlooked, and not-well-thought-out features that hold it back from being "the ultimate driving machine." Now if BMW (and other companies) were really smart, they'd stop paying $$$ for market test groups and just dedicate a few of their employees to reading consumer opinions on forums on the internet...and best of all, it's free!

*but, they should keep the forums going by paying for sponsorship ads. I like the idea of consumer forums being independent from the companies themselves, unlike Seagate whose forum mods regularly delete posts that report problems with their products that they're trying to hide. Seagate forums are more censored than the Chinese internet...but that's OT
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributors

I hate all the creaks and noises it makes. Sounds like the damn thing is fallin apart at the seams. I have to play the radio to avoid being embarassed by passengers in the car. Don't get me wrong its not THAT bad, but every bump or sharp turn and you'll get a squeak from a door jam.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='784795' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:44 PM
I hate all the creaks and noises it makes. Sounds like the damn thing is fallin apart at the seams. I have to play the radio to avoid being embarassed by passengers in the car. Don't get me wrong its not THAT bad, but every bump or sharp turn and you'll get a squeak from a door jam.
Did you try pinguhk's solution on the squeaking noise issue? He uses Vaseline to solve this problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

I've only got the car for a week now. First thought I would vote the iDrive total crap but then after reading the manual and playing around with the knob, I begun to like it. Won't vote idrive most stupid. Can't do without it now.

ok not most stupid but my number one pain in the butt goes to the 19" rims I have on the car. Talk about difficulty in washing them. Gave car a wash today (first wash) and boy did those rims take most of my time. That gap between the spokes are terrible to clean.

I would vote that most annoying. Rest of the car, I love. I am thinking now if I ought to bin the rims and get something like the old M-parallel type rims (as on the E34 M53.8cc). 5 spokes, all easy-peasey to clean.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails What's the most stupid thing about the E60?-pict0007.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='784859' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:47 AM
Did you try pinguhk's solution on the squeaking noise issue? He uses Vaseline to solve this problem.
+1, that solved my squeaking problem for $1. My car doesn't sound like a ship wreck anymore.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='784795' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:44 AM
Ditto the squeaks and creaks. My '86 MB W/150K has yet to develop one of these nasty sounds so prevalent in my M61. To make matters worse, the dealer has already addressed the issue twice only to have noises within a week.
Al T.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Chef' post='534250' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:19 PM
The push start button - how has this gadget actually advanced mankind?

Oh, and nowhere for my wife to put her handbag/purse/stuff
Location of the steering wheel heat button. After that, the price.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by lylerichards' post='534575' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:48 PM
2. Drink holders (doesn't fit my super sized coke, 40 ounce Big Gulp, or Riedel wine glass)
I feel your pain, brotha. I hate it that I can't put my gallon jug of spring water in those silly cup-holders....

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?