E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Sorry, no idea since I have an LCI...
Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

Going to sound like a complete noob, but wanna make sure im right/get my facts straight if im wrong

but i have a 07 550i auto non-smg( ) so no sports button
the car still acts as if in sports mode all the time?
and there would be no reason for me to attach the wire to make a sports button
pretty sure the car has the sport package based on wheels/steering wheel/seats

would apprieate confirmation/correction as ive only had the car for 2 weeks(previous owner was an idiot)
but have been learning alot about these cars thanks to this forum and a couple others so thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Originally Posted by NewBchnic
Going to sound like a complete noob, but wanna make sure im right/get my facts straight if im wrong

but i have a 07 550i auto non-smg( ) so no sports button
the car still acts as if in sports mode all the time?
and there would be no reason for me to attach the wire to make a sports button
pretty sure the car has the sport package based on wheels/steering wheel/seats

would apprieate confirmation/correction as ive only had the car for 2 weeks(previous owner was an idiot)
but have been learning alot about these cars thanks to this forum and a couple others so thanks
Use the below vin decoder with your vin number to determine what options were fitted during assembly.

https://www.bmwvin.com
Old 03-09-2017, 01:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Use the below vin decoder with your vin number to determine what options were fitted during assembly.

https://www.bmwvin.com
Thanks, so after looking up and comparing, it is a sport model as i thought

as to my other questions, since no sports button the settings are always on?(im assuming so)
and if i did the button install could i switch settings to normal, not that i would want to just curious.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

as to my other questions, since no sports button the settings are always on?(im assuming so)
and if i did the button install could i switch settings to normal, not that i would want to just curious.
No. The "sport" mode is off by default. You will only get the benefits if you install the button and turn it on when you drive (it turns off every time you turn off the car).

The sport package is primarily associated with things like sport seats, bigger wheels, suspension modifications, etc. It doesn't effect the sport driving mode, so you are not driving around in "sport" mode.

It's an easy, low-cost mod to do and totally worth it.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

In your case I believe all the button will do is turn the "sport" light on and change gears at a higher RPM in auto mode.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by balbs
In your case I believe all the button will do is turn the "sport" light on and change gears at a higher RPM in auto mode.
Worth the couple dollars for the mod imo, every bit helps

Thanks and that will be done this weekend!!!!
----
edit: i think it might help with throttle responsivness too but not 100% sure, will install and see if i can feel a difference

Last edited by NewBchnic; 03-09-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 2007 LCI M Sport

For the LCI guys out there, there could be another way to activate SPORT mode easily.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this but it seems that we may be able to activate the SPORT mode directly from the shifter ECU since there is a blank spot for a 8 pin connection that can be found on both the standard AT shifter ECU and the SAT shifter ECU. On the SAT ECU, this is where you would plug in the BMW OEM SPORT button so I'm assuming it should work on the standard shift ECU as well?

Currently I have the standard shifter ECU and I have flashed my EGS to SAT so I get the better shifts and S1, S2, S3 etc displayed on the dash.
I have activated the SPORT mode a custom built button via pins 7 & 9 in the glovebox ECU.
I have also coded the KOMBI so that SPORT appears on the dash when it is activated.
The car is much more alive in SPORT mode and the gear changes are amazing however I want to be able to install the OEM SPORT button near the gear shifter (I don't care about changing to the SAT shifter).

Will I be able to achieve this if I change the gear selector cover to the SAT cover (to accommodate the SPORT button) and install the SPORT button by plugging it directly into the 8 pins on the shifter ECU? Let me know if anyone has tried this. If you have the OEM SPORT button then this would be a very easy experiment (I wish I had one to try!)

Also if anyone wants to install a generic SPORT button directly near the shifter then the shifter ECU connection would be the ideal spot to activate SPORT mode since you won't need to run any cables from the glovebox. We just need to identify the function of each of the 8 pins.
Attached Thumbnails the way E60 was meant to be-s-l1600-1-.jpg   the way E60 was meant to be-capture.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kanasey
For the LCI guys out there, there could be another way to activate SPORT mode easily.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this but it seems that we may be able to activate the SPORT mode directly from the shifter ECU since there is a blank spot for a 8 pin connection that can be found on both the standard AT shifter ECU and the SAT shifter ECU. On the SAT ECU, this is where you would plug in the BMW OEM SPORT button so I'm assuming it should work on the standard shift ECU as well?

Currently I have the standard shifter ECU and I have flashed my EGS to SAT so I get the better shifts and S1, S2, S3 etc displayed on the dash.
I have activated the SPORT mode a custom built button via pins 7 & 9 in the glovebox ECU.
I have also coded the KOMBI so that SPORT appears on the dash when it is activated.
The car is much more alive in SPORT mode and the gear changes are amazing however I want to be able to install the OEM SPORT button near the gear shifter (I don't care about changing to the SAT shifter).

Will I be able to achieve this if I change the gear selector cover to the SAT cover (to accommodate the SPORT button) and install the SPORT button by plugging it directly into the 8 pins on the shifter ECU? Let me know if anyone has tried this. If you have the OEM SPORT button then this would be a very easy experiment (I wish I had one to try!)

Also if anyone wants to install a generic SPORT button directly near the shifter then the shifter ECU connection would be the ideal spot to activate SPORT mode since you won't need to run any cables from the glovebox. We just need to identify the function of each of the 8 pins.
It's possible, but there are a few caveats:

You have to solder in the pins (notice your pin holes are unoccupied), and only early (I think 2008 and 2009) shifters have the solder points for the pins. Newer boards did away with them.
There are also additional components required (some transistors and capacitors IIRC).
Finally, the software on the GWS module is different, and a standard D-CAN cable is unable to flash it due to a firmware bug (it bricks if you try). There is fixed firmware out there, but flashing that to the cable isn't trivial for most people.

If you're not doing the full SAT shifter retrofit, it's easier to just leave it the way you have it. You could probably tap the OEM button into the pins you have your generic button plugged into. However, the SAT trim won't accommodate the standard shifter (it's meant to have the SAT shift boot clipped into it).

Last edited by terraphantm; 03-14-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 550i
Model Year: 2006

Does the $2TB SAT mode works on 2007 LCI?
If not, how about simple SPORT BUTTON with the KOMBI coding to show the "Sport" on cluster?

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be