E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 04:30 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Greggo
JmacE60, I think if you bothered to read my post clearly, you would see that I did mention that this mod requires Dynamic Drive. Which you have. Not sure what S26A is for, cannot find reference to that anywhere. But the other options are Servotronic Steering and Dynamic Drive. So yes, it does something to YOUR car.

Without these options, the button does nothing. Did your car not have a Sport button from factory? You should also note the countless responders on many forums who claim, 'This does nothing noticeable to my car.’ Because their car does not have those options.

Directly from the owners manual.

Dynamic Driving Control

With Dynamic Driving Control, you can
choose between a standard and a sport
program.

Sport program

> The engine responds more spontaneously
to accelerator pedal movements
> The steering becomes more direct and
provides even better road contact.

In addition, with SMG and an automatic transmission:

> The shifting times are shorter
> The engine speed range is used optimally
in the Drive mode.

YMMV
Dynamic driving control (FDC) IS the sport button option and is different to Dynamic drive (ARS) which is the hydraulic controlled sway bars.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...earbox/1uSggvS

Front stabilizer bar/Dynamic Drive | BMW 5' E60 530d M57N Europe

You are correct that your vehicle has to have servotronic for sport mode to have any effect to steering feel; as well you also have to have an auto/DCT trans to have the shifting point change.

The quicker throttle response and cruise control pick up response are equal for all options
Old 01-21-2020, 01:23 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530d msport Lci 2007
Default 530d lci auto input.

Firstly, a few years ago i had a pre lci 530d auto and wired in the much lorded sport button, what a disappointment. The differences over putting the lever into D/S were a sport light in the dash and zero else i guess this car didn’t have servotronic steering as the heavier steering that others talked about was just not present. Yes it changed throttle response but so did moving the lever to the left, yes it raised the revs when you pressed the button but that was because it was forced out of 6th gear, the lever did exactly the same when pushed to the left, zero improvement. Fast forward to present time and i now have an lci 530d and wired in the sport button( different place on lci) as expected the only difference was heavier steering due to the fact this car has servotronic steering. Yes there is a difference in steering but it’s questionable if you would call this an improvement. But definately a change also there is a sport sign in the clocks. So no real improvement. Now the gamechanger, if you go the extra mile and reflash your gearbox ecu with a 2tb file from a sport auto transmission equipped car SAT. Then there is truly a big difference between the button and D/S mode. Without the steering wheel paddles you obviously need the lever to the left for manual shifting and it will be no different to standard but then press the sport button and you will have much shorter shift times both up and down as well as raised shift points in auto. As far as rev matching, i haven’t experienced it. I suspect thats some people confusing a very quick shift time with a throttle blip. However i stand to be corrected. There are a number of 2tb files to chose from and my next step is to try a file from a petrol engined car to see if any characteristics change. It’s very unhelpful when people get over enthusiastic and exaggerate the improvements as this can lead others to believe their project has not gone to plan and waste time trying to solve a problem that never was.

Last edited by Redballs1; 01-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i LCI N53

Originally Posted by Redballs1
Firstly, a few years ago i had a pre lci 530d auto and wired in the much lorded sport button, what a disappointment. The differences over putting the lever into D/S were a sport light in the dash and zero else i guess this car didn’t have servotronic steering as the heavier steering that others talked about was just not present. Yes it changed throttle response but so did moving the lever to the left, yes it raised the revs when you pressed the button but that was because it was forced out of 6th gear, the lever did exactly the same when pushed to the left, zero improvement. Fast forward to present time and i now have an lci 530d and wired in the sport button( different place on lci) as expected the only difference was heavier steering due to the fact this car has servotronic steering. Yes there is a difference in steering but it’s questionable if you would call this an improvement. But definately a change also there is a sport sign in the clocks. So no real improvement. Now the gamechanger, if you go the extra mile and reflash your gearbox ecu with a 2tb file from a sport auto transmission equipped car SAT. Then there is truly a big difference between the button and D/S mode. Without the steering wheel paddles you obviously need the lever to the left for manual shifting and it will be no different to standard but then press the sport button and you will have much shorter shift times both up and down as well as raised shift points in auto. As far as rev matching, i haven’t experienced it. I suspect thats some people confusing a very quick shift time with a throttle blip. However i stand to be corrected. There are a number of 2tb files to chose from and my next step is to try a file from a petrol engined car to see if any characteristics change. It’s very unhelpful when people get over enthusiastic and exaggerate the improvements as this can lead others to believe their project has not gone to plan and waste time trying to solve a problem that never was.
For UK 530d LCI the 2TB ZUB is 7592130, don't bother with using a petrol 2TB flash for your diesel it won't work properly, the EGS shift point mapping is different - petrol is 7k redline, diesel 5k redline, your diesel won't upshift at redline as a result of this mis-match, another forum has already tried this.

I've done the full SAT retrofit on my 530i LCI including the 2TB flash it's night and day when SPORT is activated (using the button). Putting into DS only changes the gearshift map so it shifts higher up the rev range, press the SPORT button changes it to super quick up\down shifts and also the throttle blip (rev match) during manual downshifting, it is very much like the XHP flash. The heavier steering in SPORT mode feels slightly too heavy for my liking, I'm currently trialing the M5 servotronic coding in the KGM module at first it seemed no difference between SPORT and non-SPORT when stationary but I think I can tell the difference on the move, it maybe placebo I'm not sure so another few more weeks to observe.

I've done a few 2TB flash conversion for UK forum member and all have been very happy with the outcome, there is no benefit if you don't have the SPORT button, so you'll require to retrofit the LCI SAT shifter or manually wire in a SPORT button to the pins behind the glovebox area, plus the coding of KOMBI for your SPORT sign.

Last edited by leew88; 01-27-2020 at 02:29 AM. Reason: NA
Old 01-27-2020, 08:02 AM
New Members

7592130 is the first 2TB file I flashed with and as said in my post I already wired in a sport button to the pins behind the glovebox, I agree 100% that for the most benefit you need a 2TB file and a sport button. I also agree on the weight of the steering, it's a bit to heavy for my liking but can easily be manipulated with NCS Expert. the Sport sign and indicated gear in D/S (S1-S5) are not really a benefit more a piece of wallpaper, Regarding a petrol file on a diesel car, I've tried it already and it wasn't all bad, your correct on the upshift only in part, with your foot planted it wont upshift but can be driven around by a slight lift off of the throttle pedal to instigate upshift or drive it in "M" mode, it will change up if you work the pedal. I tried 2 different petrol files from a 550i one of which was an Alpina, 7592140 and the Alpina one is 7592154, the Alpina one also has an additional piece of wallpaper in that you get indicated gears even in "D" without the button pressed, so "D" 1-6, "S" 1-5, and "M" 1-6, give it a try and see what you think. I'm currently starting to search out any info on putting a sport button into an E90 330D and also a 335D if you have any info to share it would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM
New Members

I don't think the Alpina flash will work on my 530i LCI as I have 6HP19 box, whereas the Alpina and D's have 6HP26 box, not worth risking it and brick my EGS, I am happy with my current flash which is a big improvement over non-SAT.

Not familiar with the E90's I'm sure someone on the E90 forum would be best placed to help you out https://www.e90post.com/forums/
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Alpina flash will only work with Turbo/diesel boxes.
XHP will work with both turbo and non turbo ones.

E90s also dont have servotronic in N/A and not sure about europe. So with the flash; the only benefit of sport button is the throttle response
Old 01-27-2020, 12:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by leew88
I don't think the Alpina flash will work on my 530i LCI as I have 6HP19 box, whereas the Alpina and D's have 6HP26 box, not worth risking it and brick my EGS, I am happy with my current flash which is a big improvement over non-SAT.

Not familiar with the E90's I'm sure someone on the E90 forum would be best placed to help you out https://www.e90post.com/forums/
Does that mean your gearbox family is GKE215? as mine is GKE195.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Redballs1
Does that mean your gearbox family is GKE215? as mine is GKE195.
Yep mines GKE215
Old 06-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: e60

Originally Posted by Cockers
Ok so here are the pics as I went;

Firstly I disconnected the battery and I didn't fancy a buzz, or worse blow something up whilst mucking around the fuse box area. I then removed the whole glovebox, it was only 4 screws from underneath and 2 plastic pins (1 holding the plastic damper soft open, and the other one to stop the glovebox opening too far.

Then removed the plastic cover exposing the fuses.

Attachment 141119

Remove the 4 star screws holding the fuse assy in place, wiggle pull and move it to one side exposing the cable we need on the bottom left.

Attachment 141120
Attachment 141121

Remove the white box and bring to the front (you may need to work on the cable as there is not a lot of length to work with.

Attachment 141122

Then remove the cable and remove the inners from the housing

Attachment 141123

I need to continue in the next post as I can only load 5 pics at a time
how do you remove the inners from the housing?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:45 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2013 BMW 535i
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0L N55

I have a 2008 528xi... LCI. I understand everything needed to do this mod. My question is... I plan to purchase the OEM Sport button 61319142869 and the trim 51166985886. Does anyone know how I would wire up the switch to the 4 wires needed going back to the module behind the glove box... power/pin 8 , pin 7, pin 9, ground?? The OEM sport button has like 8 wires coming out of it, original to plug into the SAT. One is red and the rest are all beige colored.

LCI pin reference from Elite Bimmer's YouTube...

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be