E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Installed this cable on my manual. It shows sport and I noticed quicker acceleration. Is there any way to make it stay constant when starting the car without pushing the button all the time?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Margal
Installed this cable on my manual. It shows sport and I noticed quicker acceleration. Is there any way to make it stay constant when starting the car without pushing the button all the time?
You'll burn gas like a mofo!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by dakest
You'll burn gas like a mofo!
Yeah really not a good idea. The car will basically never use your overdrive gears and your RPMs will be much higher.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ColonelLonewolf
Yeah really not a good idea. The car will basically never use your overdrive gears and your RPMs will be much higher.
Do you say that driving with sport mode is not good idea? What the side effects except using more gas. What do you mean by car never uses overdrive gears same for manual and auto? I am curious why BMW does put that button there from factory if it make the car faster and does no harm?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Do you say that driving with sport mode is not good idea? What the side effects except using more gas. What do you mean by car never uses overdrive gears same for manual and auto? I am curious why BMW does put that button there from factory if it make the car faster and does no harm?
The answers to all these questions are within this thread.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

You press the button 1 time when you turn the car on......I don't get it?? would you like a remote control so you don't have to move your arm? This has to be the laziest request ever!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004, 525ia

The fact that the gearbox is adaptive, or learns your driving patterns might be a factor in why there is such a big diffrence in opinion on the effect of this mod. If you usually drive nicely, and your gearbox has adapted to that, wouldent the diffrence when sportmode disengage the learned driving behavour be much more noticable? Someone tried testing in d, then resetting the gearbox learned behavour without involving sportsmode, just for reference? (Resette gearbox: Car to on position, dont start, foot off break, then throttle to the floor for 25-30 seconds, ref "neat tricks thread")
Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
You press the button 1 time when you turn the car on......I don't get it?? would you like a remote control so you don't have to move your arm? This has to be the laziest request ever!
I was expecting that someone would say that this is the laziest request ever but it isn't because I have to turn the light on when I start the car because I have lm1,(thinking to get lm2 or do manual wiring) now I have to push that button also and it seams not big deal but I like everything too come on when I start the car like programming it in idrive and turning it off when you do not want it. I do mostly city driving and frequent stops like for coffee, grocery, bank and so on and pushing these buttons seams kind of unconvinced. You may say that you do not need it in city but that,s where I mostly need it.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

I was expecting that someone would say that this is the laziest request ever but it isn't because I have to turn the light on when I start the car because I have lm1,(thinking to get lm2 or do manual wiring) now I have to push that button also and it seams not big deal but I like everything too come on when I start the car like programming it in idrive and turning it off when you do not want it. I do mostly city driving and frequent stops like for coffee, grocery, bank and so on and pushing these buttons seams kind of unconvinced. You may say that you do not need it in city but that,s where I mostly need it.
I just did the mod. The last time I used it was for testing the mod out. And because I do a lot of city driving as well, I'm glad that it's a function that is OFF by default. The change in how heavy the steering wheel gets is pretty significant especially at low speeds. It would be a PITA to turn that heavy steering wheel in stop and go traffic and slow turns at intersections. Not to mention just turning and parking the car. And yes, the throttle response and higher RPMs would just make the car drink more gas. Sort of pointless in stop and go traffic.
I would use the function in long winding highway or mountain roads. That would be ideal.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
I just did the mod. The last time I used it was for testing the mod out. And because I do a lot of city driving as well, I'm glad that it's a function that is OFF by default. The change in how heavy the steering wheel gets is pretty significant especially at low speeds. It would be a PITA to turn that heavy steering wheel in stop and go traffic and slow turns at intersections. Not to mention just turning and parking the car. And yes, the throttle response and higher RPMs would just make the car drink more gas. Sort of pointless in stop and go traffic.
I would use the function in long winding highway or mountain roads. That would be ideal.
I would say that I did not notice any significant changes in steering after installing that cable except improvement at take offs at traffic lights and quicker exells. Maybe due to the manual trany and active, dynamic drive system i have. but I would use it on highway for sure

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be