E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak into rear passenger seat area

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Originally Posted by E60I
I have a 2006 530i and facing the same problem. It is soaking wet under the back seats. The rear and front floor mats are wet also. How is it possible for the this to happen? Share what you have discovered and how you fixed the problem, please?

Here are a couple links I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJzB...g&index=2&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUZ...p7xjTg&index=1
The drain is below where you placed your hand in the second video. It most likely is plugged with tree leaves and debris. When open it drains just behind the wheel well. It is identical on both sides.
Good Luck
Old 12-17-2017, 12:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: Soon to Be - 520D M Sport 58 Plate

Got this exact issue in my e60 520d, scuttle drains are clear. So I'm guessing the culprit is the sun roof. Anyone got any pics of where the rear drains start? And they run out the rear wheel wells, is there an easy way to get to them or is it wheel and all out job?

Cheers Dazzler
Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: Soon to Be - 520D M Sport 58 Plate

Just to updated from my earlier post. After popping the covers off the pillars behind the driver's seat. I removed the roof handle and dropped the headlining. The drain is pretty much level with the back of the rear door.

I was able to get the headlining down enough to pull the pipe of the drain, there was water dripping from the sunroof already. I pulled the pipe of and At this point a good half pint of water came out..... (Seats where already out in the house drying so no bother)

With the pipe detached I got some pvc pipe (spare from fish take stuff) and pused it In to the rubber drain pipe. Then gave it a good blow! It was deff clogged load of resistance to start then blew clear.

Next I then attached me pipe to the white drain attachment on the sunroof and did the same.

Once reattached I pores some water in the drains and it now seems to be coming right out the rear arch.

Will do the other side in the week!

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
Dazzler
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 5301
Default Same problem on my 2004 530i on the passenger seat

Originally Posted by star69me
I have the same problem in my 07 550i. But mine is on the rear drivers side. So I'll be waiting to hear the remedies alao
Same problem on my 2004 530i on the passenger seat
Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Cricketts
Water in the areas you indicated come from an area you might not think of. Raise the hood, remove the covers for the cabin air filters. on the fender side of the filter areas is a drain.
They usually get stuffed for leaves and crap. That causes the filter area to fill with water which then runs into the car through the vents into the car.

I don't know what model the car is but it is critical to get the sub mats out of the car and rescue some very expensive electronics under the floor covering on the front passenger side.

GOOD LUCK
I have a 2007 530i since new from June 2006 that has always been outside in Texas and Florida weather. I had 3 leaks at once. Huge amounts of water was collecting on the passenger rear side....found out the main leak was from the windshield cowl area. There is a drain apparently somewhere right underneath the windshield cowl and leaves and gunk can't collect their just like the sunroof drains. The water follows the path of the vent and comes in. It was staring because I had a small sunroof leak at the SAME time that was causing us to misdiagnose the leaks. We first took apart the headliner and replaced the sunroof seal, then we replaced the rear passenger vapor barrier. When none of that solved the issue, the shop took out the seats and carpet and find the leak. They traced it to the windshield cowl being incorrectly installed after a new windshield replacement back in 2014. The L7 rear passenger sub was soaked in water.

Summary: I had no standing water or evidence of previous water being anywhere near the rear trunk. The shop started by cleaning the sunroof drains, then replaced the sunroof seal, then replaced then rear passenger vapor barrier, then finally removed the interior to trace the leak to behind the windshield cowl. I ended up probably spending $3000 total to get all of this resolved over a period of 8 months. The shop took out my carpet and pads to dry them and get the cleaned. While trying the figure out the source of the water leak, I had mold accumulate on the seats since the car had to be stored during the hurricane in 2017 September in Florida.

Sucks but no more water leaks for now.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:34 PM
New Members

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2006

Pictures would really be great about the exact source of the water leak... I'm about to take down my headliner this weekend....Any more information you have or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB 54 04 09.pdf (89.9 KB, 679 views)

Last edited by TeflonDon; 08-30-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:00 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Default Sin

Originally Posted by okii
Hello-

Mine appears to be on both rear sides. There car body has two depressions to allow for additional foam padding under the rear seat. Both of those depressions had collected water. The fabric on the C pillars and roof liner show no sign of moisture.
mine leaks on the rear floor from the sunroof to see if it’s your sunroof leaking just put some duct tape around it wait for the rain and see if it’s dry the drains run down the back