E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking into rear passenger floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost a year ago, the right front and rear floor carpets were completely wet, I went to the dealer and they told me that the sunroof drainages were clogged, they cleaned the drainages.
The same problem is ocurring now. Reading some posts, I found how to test the drainages, when I pour water in each area of each drainage hole (four) the water drips behind the wheels. when I pour water in the right rear area of sunroof, no water was dripping into the floor, but instead of this, I see water coming down from the right side of rear seat and then going down to the carpet. I suppose the right rear drainage is clogged again (but I think is too soon). Because the rear hole drainages in the sunroof are almost imposible to see, is there any way to access and check them ?
Any ideas ? please.....
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

BE CAREFUL with water on the passenger side front and rear carpets... major electronics and modules are under there... and its a crazy expensive insurance claim to fix it all... ask me how I know!

Get the drains cleared immediately - one good downpour and you may be in trouble... your dash will light up like a Christmas tree!

My crappy day...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Members

Anyone have a DIY on the location of All the drains??
Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

Maybe it's the door seals??? (Though, I might be reading your description incorrectly!)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Members

What kind of modules or electronics are under the left side floor carpet ?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by luis69
What kind of modules or electronics are under the left side floor carpet ?
Thats why I posted the link to my original thread...

The Active Steering Module is there straight down from where your knees would be if you sat in the passenger seat. Also there is the ARS Sensor, Main wiring harness, and all the connectors for that harness, and the subwoofer...What happens is the water goes through the carpet and padding and starts to saturate the modules and sensors... the connectors get wet and start to corrode. Even after they dry out the corrosion in the connectors continues until the contact becomes intermittent or until the corrosion renders it inoperable.

I would also be concerned with mold and mildew developing if the carpets and padding aren't replaced or dried out. Again, I have no idea how much water you have taken on but this was my situation and it happened during one rain storm with plugged storm drains... My car is as good as brand new now after everything, and I mean everything was replaced but the hassle of it lasted over three months... it sucked.

HAVE YOUR DRAINS CLEANED!!!