E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ver 19

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

mikej, I originally took my car in because I identified some problems with my car that could be fixed with a CIP upgrade. I got the list from this forum but I forgot where. The most significant problem was that I would get a loud rattling noise from the engine near the drivers side wheel and then my Active Steering malfunction light would come on...then go away. After some testing, they determined I needed the upgrade and also did oil service on my car. I then asked about the Aux Input but they didn't have the part yet so I'll be bringing my car back next week.

wowe, I will let you know about the acceleration later today when I get a chance to drive the car.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I think the much more important thing to note out of this discussion is that 19.1.1 is apparently available, thereby negating whatever concerns there allegedly were with 19.0 and 19.1. I think the other problem is that some dealers may generically tell people they are upgrading them to "version 19", referring to only the major version, when it's actually 19.something that they're getting.

In any case, EuroCarFan, if you're *positive* that you explicitly got 19.1.1, I think we can assume that people who want to do 19.x CIP upgrades are okay for now...what I'm really curious to see is what October production vehicles are shipping with from the factory, since BMWNA still stands by its statement that October production will enable MP3 playback on cars with Navigation in the US (i.e., Navigation Professional).
Old 10-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My SA specifically said that I got v19.1.1 and wrote it on my work order receipt. Is there any way to confirm on iDrive?

I actually have a couple of stupid questions:

1) What does MP3 capability mean? Is it the ability to burn MP3 files on a disk and have the CD player recognize the files? Or is the Aux input to add an external MP3 player like iPod.
2) Is Bluetooth something that comes with newer CIP upgrades or is it an option that you'd have to buy. I think it's the latter but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 09:58 AM
My SA specifically said that I got v19.1.1 and wrote it on my work order receipt.? Is there any way to confirm on iDrive?
Ok, great, thanks! No, there's no way to confirm with iDrive; only way is for your dealer to tell you what was/is installed, and if they specifically say 19.1.1 I believe it.

1) What does MP3 capability mean?? Is it the ability to burn MP3 files on a disk and have the CD player recognize the files?? Or is the Aux input to add an external MP3 player like iPod.
Yes, this means being able to burn MP3 files to a data CD, and have them recognized and displayed by the system. The reason why people might want to do this is because you can get a good 100-200 or so songs (depending on how they're encoded, etc.) on one MP3 CD.

The ability to add an external audio input (like an iPod) is provided by the Auxiliary Audio Input.

2) Is Bluetooth something that comes with newer CIP upgrades or is it an option that you'd have to buy.? I think it's the latter but I wanted to make sure.
Bluetooth requires your car to have physical hardware for Bluetooth, and was a retrofit option for most E60s that didn't have it (but ended up being a nightmare or not possible for some builds).
Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 11:58 AM
My SA specifically said that I got v19.1.1 and wrote it on my work order receipt.? Is there any way to confirm on iDrive?

I actually have a couple of stupid questions:

1) What does MP3 capability mean?? Is it the ability to burn MP3 files on a disk and have the CD player recognize the files?? Or is the Aux input to add an external MP3 player like iPod.
2) Is Bluetooth something that comes with newer CIP upgrades or is it an option that you'd have to buy.? I think it's the latter but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
[snapback]177714[/snapback]
Your questions are not stupid if you just dont know

1) MP3 capability means that the cd player inthe dash would be able to recognize MP3's on a burnt disc. The aux input is if you would like to play an external device like the iPod
2) Bluetooth can be added to you car if the production date is after 3/04 then your sw needs to be upgraded which you already have but the dealer would have to activate it if it isnt already activated. They may try to charge you to activate like $60.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

Originally Posted by bleudyno' date='Sep 30 2005, 01:06 PM
Just got my car back and I have v19.01.? Don't notice any changes at all other than the fact that I have AUX input now (freakin' finally!!)? No MP3 for me either.? Even though the tech told me no, I still went ahead and burned an MP3 cd to try out anyway.? The news of the hardware needing to be changed is a bummer.? If thats the case and we need to pay for the hardware, I don't think I would go through with it.? I mean, I have AUX input.? To me, thats just the same as MP3 capability only I have more songs.? We're so spoiler with our music.? I have regular radio, cd, cd changer, sirius satellite, and now i have AUX.? So many options for us e60er's that its kinda funny don't you think??

David
[snapback]177405[/snapback]
Is that what you heard that the hardware needed to be replaced and not to wait on a sowtware upgrade for the mp3 capability
Old 10-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Thanks das and unlimited. I just popped a CD burned with MP3s in my car and it plays. It doesn't display the titles on the screen or anything but it plays. Is that what you guys need confirmation on? Sorry if I'm still missing something.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:37 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks das and unlimited.? I just popped a CD burned with MP3s in my car and it plays.? It doesn't display the titles on the screen or anything but it plays.? Is that what you guys need confirmation on?? Sorry if I'm still missing something.
[snapback]177777[/snapback]
Are you sure you burned the CD as a data CD with MP3 files, or did you burn MP3s to a normal audio CD format?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Ahh..okay, I burned it as an audio CD with MP3 files. What is the difference in the two methods and results?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:45 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:39 PM
Ahh..okay, I burned it as an audio CD with MP3 files.? What is the difference in the two methods and results?
[snapback]177781[/snapback]
Well, a normal audio CD format can only hold 74 minutes of music.

An MP3 CD can hold about the equivalent of about ten times that amount (usually 100-150 songs, versus a typical 10-15 songs).

This is because on an MP3 data CD, the songs are still compressed. When you burn MP3s to an conventional audio CD (known as Red Book Audio), they're expanded back to their typical uncompressed size, because that's the format they need to be in for players that can only read normal audio CDs.

So the benefit is that you can have 3 or 4 CDs with several hundred songs on them, see the song names on the iDrive screen, and use iDrive and the car's own controls to switch tracks, etc. To date, cars with Navigation in the US (Navigation Professional in other markets) have not been able to play MP3 CDs (though other configurations of E60 now can). Sure, some people might like to have an iPod or other MP3 player, too, but this is just another option. (And I imagine if BMW had FULL iPod integration on E60, even beyond what they do on their other cars, i.e., full control, song/playlist/etc. displays, and so on, many people would be a lot less concerned about MP3 CDs...)

Quick Reply: Ver 19