E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the transmission. Should be easy to go test drive a 550 manual
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
It's the transmission. Should be easy to go test drive a 550 manual
I would like but we have zero at any dealer around DC metro area. I saw couple for sale by private owner, but I don't want deal with private seller, for oblivious reason.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

this thread is officially a black hole of time, space and brain waves...

* unsubscribes *
Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by phlfly
but I don't want deal with private seller, for oblivious reason.
LOL

summary for those who have skipped the pages of this guys unintelligible trolls:

He has a 550i. He drove an M5.
The M5 is faster than the 550i, therefore the 550i is a terrible waste of money and poorly engineered.
Not a lot of people are going "yeah! the non-M BMWs suck!" so he says this forum is full of people who buy status symbols.
He wants to know if your 550i engine brakes in manual mode. Yes, they engine brake in manual mode.

It's classic "I just want to bash on a car, but when people call me out on it, i try to play like i'm making legitimate conversation and nobody cares"

blah blah blah

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by usmabmass
LOL

summary for those who have skipped the pages of this guys unintelligible trolls:

He has a 550i. He drove an M5.
The M5 is faster than the 550i, therefore the 550i is a terrible waste of money and poorly engineered.
Not a lot of people are going "yeah! the non-M BMWs suck!" so he says this forum is full of people who buy status symbols.
He wants to know if your 550i engine brakes in manual mode. Yes, they engine brake in manual mode.

It's classic "I just want to bash on a car, but when people call me out on it, i try to play like i'm making legitimate conversation and nobody cares"

blah blah blah
See that's I'm talking about, some people is at kindergarten level.
I was tried to find if the valvetronic system is making car less controllable, at least in term of throttle.
BTW, 550 is not doing ?engine brake?, as suppose to. It?s delay about 1-2 sec, before you can see noticeable speed and rpm drop.
Also even you are being big fans of the BMW, you can assume all products is perfect, and it's good to know when car is not going to do what you are expecting this, in the emergency situation can safe some lives.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

Originally Posted by phlfly
Well my friend BMW is not about 1/4 miles. You watched to much NASCAR. A lot cars will beat BMW on 1/4 mile. But you not going beat M5 on rack no matter what you do with your 535.

Well I surprised by a bunch ignore replays, it's more looked like Bimmerfest then 5series.net. I didn't post it on bimmerfest because a lot immature people there lately, but it's case here as well.

It's really disappointment BMW is making such product since 2005+ year. it's losing this special difference between BMW and all other cars.

all other are just luxury saloon with bad steering, transmission and suspension feedback.

it's all wheel drive car, lacking any feed back. BMW should be shame to produce these car at all. These cars for soccer mom.

It seems to me time to sell E60, a bunch amateurs is buying these cars in now days.

All these supercharge are not going away without leave bunch failures. All mods for engine is not good for BMW, because BMW engineers had spent a lot time to design a perfect balance in durability, longevity and power. Well by installing something was not designed, you are unbalancing this, so you have to do a lot testing to make it's right and in the correct position.

The point is this forum is just worth to report mechanical problems and mods (Look at me and my wheels! ), but it's useless for discussing BMW design flows.

It's dangerous and unsafe to do ?Ultimate? driving.

And believe me I don?t bash a BMW, I love it, even its smooth like a silk, seriously I want to have a little more control then I have know on manual mode.
you want to talk about kindergarten level? that's some petty crap you've been posting just because you have some weird inferiority complex with your car.

my 550i has zero problems with engine braking or handling/control. it's been handling beautifully on the autobahn at 140mph+ speeds, and i use engine braking to slow down to take exit ramps. it's been an absolute blast to stick it in M/S+Sport and hurl it around bavarian country mountain roads, and very snappy and responsive, with ~100ms gear changes and excellent engine braking - i've had none of the weird delay that you're talking about. either something is wrong with your car or you've got some other motive going on.

and jesus christ, get a proofreader or something if you want to complain and bitch all the time. it takes less effort to read shakespeare than to read your posts. it makes it hard to take you seriously when you are whining about how bad non-M BMWs are.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

It's crazy when person called human names their cars. It's even more crazy then people is about their dogs bring them in human level. But I want to rest this argument for different forum.

I have Volvo XC 70, it does same delay for engine break BMW on third gear, I think it's automatic transmission.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Members

Listen All You Nobie's

I have both the 2006 Bmw M5 and 2007 Bmw 550i with $20,000 in upgrades just from DINAN. Well both cars are amazing first of all. Both you cant compare both cars, their is a reason why they call it the "M" cars, way better handling, torque, hp, its just a beast end of the day. But when you compare it to the 550i, its still a fast car but much more relaxing more like a everyday car with looks and speed, also much better on the gas. I have attached a picture of both my babies tell me what you guys think. Also my third baby got caught in a few pictures. All of you dont talk to much, just get the damn rides and drive it, no need for all this crap, of 535 bullshit.
Attached Thumbnails Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i-photoq.jpg   Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i-photo.jpg   Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i-photo5.jpg   Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i-m55.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Members

For those who don't know this is the potential of the N54 engine in the 535i. This car has 50% more power than an M5, around 740hp at the crank and in the 335i it would have DOUBLE the power of the M3. Both of these could be built for less than the cost of their M counterparts.

Most won't modify their BMWs but it is very possible and affordable to create a FI BMW engine that is far faster than any M car.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Originally Posted by usmabmass
my 550i has zero problems with engine braking or handling/control. it's been handling beautifully on the autobahn at 140mph+ speeds, and i use engine braking to slow down to take exit ramps. it's been an absolute blast to stick it in M/S+Sport and hurl it around bavarian country mountain roads, and very snappy and responsive, with ~100ms gear changes and excellent engine braking -
I live out in the boonies of Virginia, and have lots of twisty, country roads to blast around on, but you get to drive on the autobahn...

Speaking of Deutschland, how much do they charge for a lap on the Green Hell? Not that I'd waste my money as the driver, but I'd love to have Sabine drive my car while I sat in the passenger seat. I'd much rather watch an expert fling my car around (and learn) than spend even more money having the car pulled from a grove of trees, or uh, from around one.

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i