E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any car at high rpms or when down shifted will what you call "brake" when foot is taken off the gas, especially in lower gears. Autos don't engine break unless you manually put the car in a lower gear, which is why your question is confusing not to mention you grammar and sentence structure making your post difficult to read. The M5 doesn't have a true auto as an option so you could engine brake the car. Wouldn't really make a difference in normal driving.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
Any car at high rpms or when down shifted will what you call "brake" when foot is taken off the gas, especially in lower gears. Autos don't engine break unless you manually put the car in a lower gear, which is why your question is confusing not to mention you grammar and sentence structure making your post difficult to read. The M5 doesn't have a true auto as an option so you could engine brake the car. Wouldn't really make a difference in normal driving.
Your grammar and spelling are also not so great!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Originally Posted by phlfly
Also I have a question to you, you have manual, so when you are on 3rd or 4th gear accelerating, then let the go gas pedal does is start to break, I mean hard, like your whole body goes forward?
Because those V8 with auto doesn't do so well, better to say at all. It?s continuing go for couple seconds then start soft (very soft) breaking.
Yeah, sorta. If I've wound third way up then step off the gas, yeah it will engine brake--feels like all the other manuals I've owned.

Personally, I hate 6 speeds. I want four! If you're in 6th (saving gas), and you want to pass someone on a two-lane road (I live in the boonies), you still need third just like with any other car, so you have to perfect the 6th to 3rd downshift. then you wind up 3rd, bang 4th, and you're in triple digit speed!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by mrblorry
Yeah, sorta. If I've wound third way up then step off the gas, yeah it will engine brake--feels like all the other manuals I've owned.

Personally, I hate 6 speeds. I want four! If you're in 6th (saving gas), and you want to pass someone on a two-lane road (I live in the boonies), you still need third just like with any other car, so you have to perfect the 6th to 3rd downshift. then you wind up 3rd, bang 4th, and you're in triple digit speed!
Autobox will also engine- brake just need to be in s mode. Just my 0.2
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1600
Your grammar and spelling are also not so great!
I'm replying on a phone and not proof reading what I type. Many of his sentences have words out of order or words missing making it confusing to read. English could be his second language but just was pointing out how his post can be confusing.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

So that's it I see a problem my doesn't "engine brake"(on manual) as hard it should be, it does too soft to me as it should with auto tranny on manual mode. I drove AMG C55(also my friend car) so it has auto tranny, but it does "engine brake" more pronounced, more harder. I think the problem is valvetronic system, that is too slow to adjusted ignition/valves to right position.
So that is reason I was asking about how it does feel on car with manual tranny. As I said before I had 535 and it does same thing as my 535. So I guess it could be two problems one is tranny, second - valvetronic. So does it engine brake like pulling you forward hard and seat belt should get tight?

About my grammar, I did this from work on droid so it could missing words or misspell. sorry
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Give me a nice 550i over M5 most days. It's the perfect car.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Favorite thread of the day.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

sweet troll
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Members

interesting read. actually I skipped page 2, can someone tell me what's up with the grammar? foreign or special?

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i