E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012 | 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black

i think the gist of it is that he thinks if the company makes something, it's impossible to make something better.
Old 03-07-2012 | 07:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

So I still didn't get an answer for my question, if your 545/550 does "engine brake" with delay even on manual mode?
If someone can do for me, put a manual mode, accelerate to 40/45 mph on third gear, then let go pedal, and observe if car will do hard engine brake right the way, or will do with delay and soft.
Mine does continue going with same speed, then start engine brake.
Old 03-07-2012 | 08:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Originally Posted by JonnyD3487
interesting read. actually I skipped page 2, can someone tell me what's up with the grammar? foreign or special?
Why don't you go back and read page 2, and find out for yourself?
Old 03-08-2012 | 05:00 AM
Senior Members

There is lot negativity, and not surprising. BMW is God, even they are produced faulty product. Or may that's people wanted, a such soft feedback.
I was reading somewhere, BMW had forced changed their lineup for more soft feedback due American market is liked Cadillac/Lexus feel.
Old 03-08-2012 | 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by phlfly
There is lot negativity, and not surprising. BMW is God, even they are produced faulty product. Or may that's people wanted, a such soft feedback.
I was reading somewhere, BMW had forced changed their lineup for more soft feedback due American market is liked Cadillac/Lexus feel.

Your posts are a pain in the ass to read and understand.

..Whats your point anyway?
Old 03-08-2012 | 05:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Originally Posted by phlfly
forced changed their lineup for more soft feedback due American market is liked Cadillac/Lexus feel.
As with the new Lexus commercial on tv, showing links to Bing on the dashboard. Oh great. Now "drivers"will be updating their twitidiot and farcebook pages while they drive.

I guess Lexus can call themselves "The Ultimate Texting Machine." BMW, please don't go down that road.
Old 03-08-2012 | 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pradden
Your posts are a pain in the ass to read and understand.

..Whats your point anyway?
The point is this forum is just worth to report mechanical problems and mods (Look at me and my wheels! ), but it's useless for discussing BMW design flows.
I was trying to bring an attention, that engine is not good as everyone is thinking, it has a problem (valvetronic), yes it's problem when your engine doesn't "engine brake" on manual mode, so taking this car on track is absolutely useless, because you are either crashed or burned and overheat brakes. It's dangerous and unsafe to do ?Ultimate? driving.
This is reason I went and drove M5 and C55 (auto) to make this assumption. I was looking to see if other members had experienced or felt same as me. But seems to me a lot people is buying these cars just for the status and name and don?t have an idea about how car should behavior on road when it?s built and advertised as performance car. Sad.
Old 03-08-2012 | 07:23 AM
Members

If you wanted a car you could track why would you buy an auto? At the very least you could have got the SMG transmission. It's not a valvetronic issue, it's how the transmission is designed, and it's the transmission which isn't keeping the car in the lower gear and up shifting when you let off the gas. How many are that road race have you seen using autos?
Old 03-08-2012 | 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

This thread is a complete waste of time. OP is bashing non M cars and they own one! To bad all this research was not done prior to purchase.
Why would anyone buy a saloon car for track purposes? Isn't the M3 a proven track car? Isn't the M5 a power saloon? Since when is steering and handling an issue on this these cars? MB, Lexus etc do not have this feel.
Not sure why the OP switched from the E46m to an e60...space?
Soccer mom cars? Who is this guy!
Where can I find soccer moms who drive e60's?
Old 03-08-2012 | 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Why is it not to track any BMW? Pay money at the track and go around the circle. Well, to have some fun on BMW with SPORT Suspension, you don't need M for this. It's not completely useless thread; I'm trying to understand if the valvetronic is a garbage and only worth for fuel economy.
May be you are right its auto tranny, then they had overdesigned with smooth feel.
Where is to find a soccer mom driving a E60 Xdrive, well come to N.VA and you would see around 60%-70% are woman drivers.
And believe me I don?t bash a BMW, I love it, even its smooth like a silk, seriously I want to have a little more control then I have know on manual mode.

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i