E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole thread is embarrasing from both sides!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I'm off to the MB forum where I might be able to help a guy with his hazard lights on his 1980 diesel.

BTW, I love my bone stock, plain jane 535i. Its got enough power for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I found a good and self explain article about valvetronic system:
Read this http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ne/petrol2.htm

BMW valvetronic system, it's similar to famous Honda VTEC engine same idea with electrical motor on top of the engine.
Scroll down to BMW Valvetronic, it said :"on conventional engines, at light throttle (when the car is running leisurely, down hill or at light load) the throttle butterfly partially or even nearly closes", so it makes a vacuum in the engine and "engine braking" faster, well when valvetronic system get rid of throttle butterfly, so it's controls by lift of valve. So I think BMW compromising mpg and engine braking, because I don't think their software closes valve completely so it has some air leak to engine and that is delay to you. Right?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Love the graphic but the article you referenced is not the same as the graphic you show. My 545i has the BMW VANOS system which is the graphic you show above. It still has a throttle buterfly as you call it in the the throttle body. The throttle body is not shown in the graphic. The lack of closing throttle response you are referring to may be the result of the electronic system that senses the foot pedal position and sends the signal to the throttle postion motor in the throttle body. It may in fact be tuned that way by the BMW engineers to make the car more smooth for less experienced and less performance minded drivers. That is simmilar to the very slow ramp on the acceleration side of the throttle response that so many people buy the sprint booster to reduce or eliminate.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by fryeje
Love the graphic but the article you referenced is not the same as the graphic you show. My 545i has the BMW VANOS system which is the graphic you show above. It still has a throttle buterfly as you call it in the the throttle body. The throttle body is not shown in the graphic. The lack of closing throttle response you are referring to may be the result of the electronic system that senses the foot pedal position and sends the signal to the throttle postion motor in the throttle body. It may in fact be tuned that way by the BMW engineers to make the car more smooth for less experienced and less performance minded drivers. That is simmilar to the very slow ramp on the acceleration side of the throttle response that so many people buy the sprint booster to reduce or eliminate.
Thank you after almost 5 pages of argue I see one reasonable replay. I was thinking if Dinan will solve this problem. I sent them a email today, after test drove another 550 with auto. So it's not my car, it's a fleet, we don't have a control.
Yes picture from different, this picture was showing all details, so reason I was used this.
I'm afraid throttle butterfly doesn't move at until either engine shutoff or valve motor failed. So we need a software that will close or almost close this on manual mode.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

WTF
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
I'm lucky I don't know anyone with an M5, my 6MT 528i makes me happier than a pig in shit.
+1
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

My 06 550i 6sp manual is as close to a rocket as I need it to be and engine brakes like a champ. Never had any illusions whatsoever that it is comparable in any way (handling, acceleration, etc) to an M5 other than body styling.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

JFC!!! This thread is ridiculous because it sucks to read phlfly's posts! I'm not sure if you're using a phone to post, you are typing with your toes and nose, or you're just that intellectually challenged. But for the love of God, please take the time to read what you are spewing out and do an ounce of proof reading and editing. This will benefit all of us, including yourself who should theoretically learn a thing or two after you start proofing your posts. Or are you just trying to speak like Yoda? Here...I'll translate this for you then.

JFC!!! Ridiculous, this thread is because it sucks to read phlfly's posts! Sure if you are using a phone to post I am not, typing with your toes and nose, you are, or just that intellectually challenged, you are. But for the love of god, take the time to read what, spewing out and do an ounce of proof reading and editing, you are. Benefit all of us, this will, theoretically learn a thing or two after you start proofing your posts, including yourself who should. Or just trying to speak like me are you, hmm?
Originally Posted by phlfly
It's crazy when person called human names their cars. It's even more crazy then people is about their dogs bring them in human level. But I want to rest this argument for different forum.

I have Volvo XC 70, it does same delay for engine break BMW on third gear, I think it's automatic transmission.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Logic 7, Sport Package, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Satellite radio.

Originally Posted by phlfly
If you are really aerospace and mechanical engineer, then you should know, the heat will kill engine, without proper heat exchange. All these supercharge are not going away without leave bunch failures. All mods for engine is not good for BMW, because BMW engineers had spent a lot time to design a perfect balance in durability, longevity and power. Well by installing something was not designed, you are unbalancing this, so you have to do a lot testing to make it's right and in the correct position.
Ah, men, I can't believe it is wise to be over-boosting these 535's like everyone is doing. I guess it would be fine to own a couple years and sell it, but I would not want to own it long term. The same can be said for adding a supercharger to an engine that was not designed for supercharging. That's why cars like AMGs and M's are built - the engines are designed and built to take the stress, along with the drive train, brakes, etc.

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i