E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='727473' date='Nov 21 2008, 10:03 AM
No he spent quite a lot of time looking through my wife's handbag and my work bag but didn't find the keys. He thought he was on to something when he found my wife's car keyfob but realising that it couldn't start the car he continued to look. He went through our bags outside the house and even a laptop was not of much interest to him because he left it and ran when my wife saw him.
Is this the MO of a career thief? Wait till insurance has paid up on victim and then go back again! Bruce glad you+family are ok, a very frightening experience for sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='727465' date='Nov 21 2008, 05:06 AM
... - and to think I have what is classified as the safest front door, and all he needed was some sort of a screwdriver to pop the door open.
There's no such thing as "burglar proof." If a thief wants to get in your house to take something badly enough, he's going to figure out a way to do it and there's nothing anybody or anything can do to stop it.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

man bruce that sucks big time
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Really sorry to hear that bruce. People can be such assholes. I hope they find them and make them root in hell mean the slammer >=}
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Really sorry to hear that bruce. People can be such assholes. I hope they find them and make them root in hell mean the slammer >=}
Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='727465' date='Nov 21 2008, 05:06 AM
Somebody is seriously after my car!!!

Our house was broken into last night and the guy has looked through everything downstairs (we were asleep upstairs) searching for my car keys. He managed to find my wife's keyfob and has gotten into her car. We were very lucky because her car had just come back from the garage so the key was separated from the fob and her sat nav was in the house and not in the car. He did get away for a lot of other stuff while he was there.

Now I definately don't feel safe anymore - and to think I have what is classified as the safest front door, and all he needed was some sort of a screwdriver to pop the door open.

I remember you saying your wife wanted to move before when your wheels were taken. Now with someone entering your home it must be more of an issue. I hate the feeling of having my privacy invaded. Had someone break into my townhome 30 years ago when i was single. Seems like they are still there even after they left.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

I was really hoping the tilt alarm sensor would be more sensitive. I had a plan that if I ever heard my car alarm go off and hoping that the bastard was still there, that I'd run out with a bat and watch it make love to the back of his skull. I'm just itching for someone to F with it.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='727683' date='Nov 21 2008, 05:30 PM
I was really hoping the tilt alarm sensor would be more sensitive. I had a plan that if I ever heard my car alarm go off and hoping that the bastard was still there, that I'd run out with a bat and watch it make love to the back of his skull. I'm just itching for someone to F with it.
A warning note for all, I had the wheels "half inched" off my e60 last week. The police reckon the car wasn't jacked at all, and there theres no damage underneath what they think happened.

1) Thieves make 1st visit and loosen Wheel Bolts
2) Thieves return and place well positioned blocks under car and let tyres down
3) Car settles on previously placed blocks as tyres deflate with wheels slightly off the ground.
4) Thieves remove wheels and do a runner.

Why did the tilt alarm not go off? Well if nothing else I discovered that if you press the lock button on the fob twice it turns off the motion sensor and tilt alarm (probably for people who leave dogs in the car), it doesn't describe this in my manual.

It doesn't matter what the gap is between presses, so if you lock the car when you get home at night and then for peace of mind press the lock button again before you go to bed, hey presto you've disabled the motion and tilt alarms. Quite bizarre really, on every other car I've owned, the second press activated the double lock!!!!

The locking bolts appear useless on BMW's. I think in may case a dealer who had just serviced the car not 48 hours earlier is somehow connected. I found the lock bolts in a bush afterwards and they were completely unmarked making me think someone either had the exact key or a master. Who could have had the exact key? maybe someone who had access to it a few days earlier and was able to order a duplicate. Who would have a master key??? same sort of person in my book.

Other ways I have heard bolts can be removed are these.

1) Smash a undersized socket over the lock bolt in the hope it will grip. Probably too noisy a method for night time thieves though.
2) Tighten the other 4 bolts about 1/2 a turn and the lock bolt will become loose and possibly be able to un do by hand!!! Seems a bit hit amd miss though.

I am getting some after market McGards or EVO V bolts now to be on the safe side for the future.

Cheers all.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='539912' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:07 AM
It was so cold last night so the guys had real determination. Obviously have come prepared because the wheel had the locking nuts on, which I can say now are quite useless. But what happened to the Tilt alarm of the car. How did they manage to jack the car up without it triggering.
They've pulled out the blocks from my paving itself to hoist the car up. I'm gutted.....
Really sorry to read about this. I hope you got your insurance in order, but it must suck bad.

No pics of the car and crime place?

These pros must have had an jack (or two) that lifts the car from all the four points, keeping the car leveled.
The locking nuts are a easy one but needs good planning.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Members

Sorry to hear that bro I feel your pain. I've had 2 cars, a set of rims and numerous sound systems jacked. After the first set i went overboard and put 4 locks on each wheel. The next car I got they stole it for the wheels but with two locks per wheel they couldn't get them off and just abandoned the car. I would suggest the same thing as marcsonfire and go with those locks I've got eight of them (2 per wheel). Once again, sorry to hear that and I hope everything works out with your insurance company.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night