E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great news Bruce.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BizyB' post='545156' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:19 AM
Good to hear everything worked out well.

By the way, may I ask which insurance company & repairer it was (only asking as my ins is up for renewall shortly & I wouldn't mind signing up to the same insurer )
My insurance is with Zurich but the deal is via a broker Lloyd Latchford http://www.pcpinsurance.com/fixed-term/ . I got to know of them via the company I took my pcp from Lex. However I don't know if you can only use them if you took a car from Lex. But their prices have been super cheap and from what I've just been through the service is good too.

Also don't get put off by the 36 months equal installments because every year since I started they have consistently lowered my monthly premium each year. I'm in my third year now and as mentioned the policy allows you 1 fault claim during the duration of the 3 years and will still keep your premiums the same.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 AM
MAK
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Them thieves done you a favour I would say... 1 set of brand new wheels and tyres ...new nuts and a set of lock nuts...dent repaired and all paid for by the nice insurance man with no loss of claims bonus . RESULT!
Send them round

Mak.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

good to hear that every went well for you...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Bruce... I'm glad your e60 is back to normal, enjoy the splendid 172's once again Sir... note of caution though stay away from those kerbs )
Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='544904' date='Mar 14 2008, 10:31 PM
ALLS WELL THAT ENDS WELL

Just got my car back from the garage today. Its now got a set of brand new M172 wheels and tires so I'm happy again. The insurance didn't make a fuss at all with the wheels and because I'm on a fixed 3 year insurance deal my premium is unaffected too.

I was quite pleased at the service I received from my insurer's garage. The service I received there was absolutely top class. Way way better than my BMW dealer. They even fixed a small dent I had on the car that I had not noticed, saying "we told the insurance company it was caused in the incident ".

They even got me the original BMW McGard's style locking nuts telling me that the standard locking nuts from BMW were not very secure (as I now know). They even replaced all the nuts with brand new ones and said new wheels need nice looking nuts too.

When I went in with the pair of McGards nuts today they were all pleased that I was taking security very seriously. Lastly they assured me that all their work was covered under warranty for Life. He said that I was great help by leaving the cut out from the accessories brochure with the wheel style on it on the passenger's seat - I apparently made their job a lot easier by giving them the actual BMW part numbers.

The guy behind the counter left me saying "Those are brilliant cars to drive, unfortunately the theives know so too, so take care".

All in all, this incident was brought to a nice end. Now all I need to do is get some black paint put on the 2 chrome McGards nuts.

Good news.... glad this ended this way!!

Do not forget to learn from this incident and take some preventive measures
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='545235' date='Mar 15 2008, 04:32 PM
Bruce... I'm glad your e60 is back to normal, enjoy the splendid 172's once again Sir... note of caution though stay away from those kerbs )
'Watch the kerbs indeed'! I've done 21.5k miles from new without a mark. Then a few weeks ago went to visit a relative in hospital & the car park entrance was unbelievable..... at least 10 inch kerbs at both sides on a bend & so tight. A queue of cars following meant I couldn't reverse. Ended up with 3 people watching & the car simply wouldn't make the turn despite shunting back & forth (about 10 attempts). Did manage it in the end but managed to graze both front 172's - gutted.

Anyway, yesterday dropped both the front wheels off to be repaired at my local dealer. Went to pick them up later and 'OH MY GOD' they are terrible. Both had only minor grazes but somehow there are rubbing down marks all over & it looks like a bucket of sand was mixed with the paint before spraying. Ended up going ape with them & refused to accept them - so they are going to have another go.....I cannot believe the mess they have made - and a BMW approved bodyshop at that. Even overspray all over the tyres! Apparently they broke the tyre bead but didn't cover the tyres.....!

Anyway, glad you got your problems sorted Bruce!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Bruce, good news! You can get back to driving up and down the road.

Bruce can you or anyone share the specs or part number of the McGard nuts you ended up with? I do want to dig up some here in the States.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Same here.... McGard's site as well as two after-market sites are not that clear on whether the p/n 27179 is for sure the right set. Let us know! Thanks,

Cal
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Members

I have three theories about why you did not hear the alarm.

Theory 1: It did go off, and you did not hear it/wake up. I know, the "i would've heard it go off" seems to make sense, but you probably dont realize how heavily you sleep and how many people truly look to check on an alarm activation? You sit in your house, you hear your neighbors alarm, you sit there wondering "how long is it gonna take him to turn off his alarm?" that he set off accidentally, not "crime is afoot! Let me find out what's going on!"

Theory 2: The vehicle was jacked up slowly over time. I don't know this for certain, but it seems that any sensor can be fooled. The sensor is most likely containing a mercury switch or a mechanical pendulum of some kind. All it is watching for is a radical change in position. (Like sonic alarm sensors in buildings look for movement). When you park the car, it lets the sensor become settled into position and active. It is not making a mark on its zero degree scale and when it cumulatively hits 15 degrees from the original position, sets off the alarm. More likely, once the new position is made, this becomes the new start point after a certain amount of time. I would bet that the tilt sensor is just looking for quick changes, like a recovery truck raising it off the ground. Someone test this for me. Put a jack under the car and once contacting the bottom of the car, slowly apply, say, one pump of a floor jack every minute or two. I would not be surprised it that worked.

Theory 3: (My least likely suggestion) A coordinated effort of four guys with four jacks and simultaneous lift efforts.

As for the lug nuts, they were already off the car before jacking took place, either way, alarm going off or not, 3 guys working together could have your wheels off and loaded in a van inside of 45 seconds and be gone before anyone looked outside to see what was going on, and if they dont pay attention, may not even see the absent wheels.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night