E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

So can anybody confirm which McGard Ultra part number is right for the 172's?

Thanks in advance,

Cal
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Hey Bruce,

While jacking up my car today while changing to my Summer 19's, I serendipitously got introduced to the tilt-alarm. I forgot that I had locked the car when I went in to eat dinner. Lo and behold, it does work. The thing that made me think of you was that I remember your post asking why yours didn't sound.

Some suggested the tilt wasn't enough for just getting a wheel only slightly off the ground in order to steal it. Well, my tire wasn't even near to being off the ground when my alarm sounded. The theory earlier that they could've let the air out of the tires, after supporting the weight with the jack, is interesting. I think we have found our thief! Who was that guy, anyway?

Mine went off using an after-market jack (up-and-down professional type), but I was going fast enough to probably wobble the car enough for the sensor to trigger. Anyway, glad you are back and running. Take care of that ride!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

That is why I'm glad I have a garage to park my car in. I think it would probably be the number one sol. to avoid being robbed other than wheel locks. And for those times when I'm parked oustide when I go out, definately park in a place nice and clear for people to see.

Glad that everything turned around for you Bruce, think im gonna get two sets of different wheel locks just to be safe. Good luck with the new set and have fun.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The ones you need for our cars are the M12 x 1.5 27179 SL

The SL is the Ultra version, you get a standard SU version too. But not both these have Chrome heads. If you want a Black head then 27178 is the ones to go for but in the Black you dont get the Ultra Version. The Ultra has a freely rotating collar that makes it harder to secure a tool around the head to turn it, if you dont have the key.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks, Bruce. I had finally got ahold of McGard themselves, they were very helpful to confirm the application is correct, 27179 SL. They gave me three sources for online purchasing, from which I ordered them from Summit Racing. I have them now, and packaged as 27179 SL == however, they do not have the rotating collars, so it looks like I have standards, not ultras I guess. The SL on the packaging is OEM, not modified by the distributor, so I don't get it. I'll call McGard next week.

Cal
Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Somebody is seriously after my car!!!

Our house was broken into last night and the guy has looked through everything downstairs (we were asleep upstairs) searching for my car keys. He managed to find my wife's keyfob and has gotten into her car. We were very lucky because her car had just come back from the garage so the key was separated from the fob and her sat nav was in the house and not in the car. He did get away for a lot of other stuff while he was there.

Now I definately don't feel safe anymore - and to think I have what is classified as the safest front door, and all he needed was some sort of a screwdriver to pop the door open.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='727465' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:06 AM
Somebody is seriously after my car!!!

Our house was broken into last night and the guy has looked through everything downstairs (we were asleep upstairs) searching for my car keys. He managed to find my wife's keyfob and has gotten into her car. We were very lucky because her car had just come back from the garage so the key was separated from the fob and her sat nav was in the house and not in the car. He did get away for a lot of other stuff while he was there.

Now I definately don't feel safe anymore - and to think I have what is classified as the safest front door, and all he needed was some sort of a screwdriver to pop the door open.
Bruce - Sorry to hear this! Absolutely unbelievable! The problem is that you will now feel vulnerable going forward and rightly so! BUT.....what deterent is there for these morons! If (and I do emphasise the 'if') they were to get caught, virtually nothing will happent to them anyway - certainly in the eye's of the law I mean.

What area do you live in - not that it makes much difference, as I think we're all in the same boat potentially. Do you have a garage? If so it might be the only real option going forward - out of sight out of mind comes.....maybe. I'm at the point where I'd feel really uneasy if my car wasn't garaged - not just for the cars sake, but for fear of being 'broken into' like you (and the area I live in is a good one). I also have my wife's car up to the garage door!

Sorry again for you - at least you / your family weren't physically hurt!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that Bruce, you are not having the best of luck recently. Did the guy have the keys to the car but didn't take it?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Really sorry to hear about your break in last night, I'm just glad to hear both you and your Wife are both unharmed physically.

Keep us informed about if the police have any joy finding these thieves, which I doubt they will. And in any case if they did, the a**holes would probably say it's within their 'Human Rights' to break in to your house...

I hope your Wife is holding up OK, because it is obviously very traumatic for both of you. Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='727468' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Bruce, you are not having the best of luck recently. Did the guy have the keys to the car but didn't take it?
No he spent quite a lot of time looking through my wife's handbag and my work bag but didn't find the keys. He thought he was on to something when he found my wife's car keyfob but realising that it couldn't start the car he continued to look. He went through our bags outside the house and even a laptop was not of much interest to him because he left it and ran when my wife saw him.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night