E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='748673' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:38 AM
I still feel sorry for you Bruce, even if it's been over 9 months now since you started this thread...

Hope you're over the anguish by now!
When I was 13 somebody stole my Diambondback BMX
Old 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='749061' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:00 PM
When I was 13 somebody stole my Diambondback BMX
Sounds like the pain pills are working just fine...
Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='748220' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:31 PM
I don't think it's true that the motion sensor is disabled with two presses spaced apart by some lengthy amount of time. I'm pretty sure to disable the sensor, you have to press it a second time just after locking the car. If you press it a second time a bit later, the sensor remains active...
Rudy, it is true I've tried it and I find it quite amazing. and even if it wasn't surely it would be better to have the second press fully activate the alarm with the first perhaps just setting the doors and windows?

Despite that, my car wasn't even jacked, just let the air out of the tyres and it settled on some well positioned block paviours which I have now found were taken from a drive way about 100 meters away. At least the owner of those can get them back!!!!!

By the time we've totaled up all the disruption, downtime at work and costs of replacement wheels this episode is going to cost getting up to ?3.5K probably more. It would be cheaper for the insurance companies to just pay out ?500 quid to the crooks cos that about all they'll get for the wheels I'm sure.

What gets me is when some one spends ?30K plus on a car you wouldn't expect the manufacturer to skimp on locking wheel bolts. From what I have learned the stock ones are about as good as a chocolate tea pot. My dealer told me to put some aftermarket ones on now!! Great advice once he's had the ?2.5K business for a new set of 172M's!!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributors

You're spot-on about the economic climate.

What you're going to see more and more crime, murder, theft, and straight-up villainy. Beware your Bimmer. Mine is sprayed with anti- _____ repellant. (You fill in the blank, hehe)
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mikeohope' post='750026' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:20 PM
Rudy, it is true I've tried it and I find it quite amazing. and even if it wasn't surely it would be better to have the second press fully activate the alarm with the first perhaps just setting the doors and windows?
I'm still not convinced...

Since my 1998 E39, you needed to press the fob twice in succession (fairly quickly) to disable the interior sensor. Once you do this, pay attention to the clown nose and you'll see it light up steady for a second or so indicating that the motion is disabled. If you press the lock button on the fob once then once again a minute later, you won't see the clown nose illuminate the same way and you won't disable the interior motion. Again, this is the way it's worked for many years and it makes perfect sense to do it this way.

As far as your idea that one press of the fob should lock the doors and windows and a second press should arm the whole system, I think that would be exactly backwards and cause many people to not fully arm the system unknowingly. BMW has it correct the way it is. If your car disables the interior sensor after a second (not successive) press of the fob, then it's not working properly...
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The only reason I rewrote in this thread was to say that I was hit 3 times within the year and its all car related. First time the garage was broken into, next the wheels gone and last month they broke through the front door got into the house and tried to steal the keys - it was only good luck that they didn't find them.

This is after I've had the car for 3 years, stay in a 'good' area and apart from this year we've not had any such problems.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Members

Mate, get one of these
http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital-recorder.htm
I have a network one, it records everything.

Just took a screenshot, have a look.

Excuse the hose, my hosecart is broken so I can't reel it up!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
20081222_094132.bmp (607.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='750103' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm still not convinced...

Since my 1998 E39, you needed to press the fob twice in succession (fairly quickly) to disable the interior sensor. Once you do this, pay attention to the clown nose and you'll see it light up steady for a second or so indicating that the motion is disabled. If you press the lock button on the fob once then once again a minute later, you won't see the clown nose illuminate the same way and you won't disable the interior motion. Again, this is the way it's worked for many years and it makes perfect sense to do it this way.

As far as your idea that one press of the fob should lock the doors and windows and a second press should arm the whole system, I think that would be exactly backwards and cause many people to not fully arm the system unknowingly. BMW has it correct the way it is. If your car disables the interior sensor after a second (not successive) press of the fob, then it's not working properly...
Rudy, my system must have an error then because a second press on the fob, even 12 hours later, and the clown nose lights up steadily exactly as you describe. If I have an error then so do others I know because haveing raisedd my concerns with colleagues they have tried it and get the same result!!So either we all have an error or its a massive design fault. You may gather from my posts BMW are not flavour of the month with me right now. I have another experience with a UK dealer just this week related to a warranty issue that I will describe in a seperate post.
Its just not what I expected from a so called prestige marque.

On the good old Ford Mondeo a single press locks the doors and fully arms the alarm. The second press double locks all the doors. Thats pretty good isn't it?

Any way must go its nearly midnight. No doubt the some body will be receiving a present later paid with from the proceeds of my stolen wheels.

Merry Xmas all
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributors

That's great. I was thinking about 172s too... hmmm.....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Members

i was told that theifs get past the tilt sensers by letting the air out of the tires and then jacking the car up.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night