E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smooth Stops... Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:33 AM
Members

Yes, I have the same set of experiences (-ve) that most members had here regarding the 2 to 1 gear change. Sort of having gotten used to it now and having to live with it. Sometimes I get a smooth stop and sometimes I have that "jerk" right at the end. Not sure if this problem can be solved entirely, but I think it is present in most cars but to varying degrees. In Japanese cars it is not very pronounced but I have noticed this in previous (many generations ago) BMW 7 series and a MB SL. I tried using manual mode and coast to a halt but let the tranmission do the necessary downshift and I don't feel that "jerk" on stopping because the trans only shifts down to 2. But I know this is not the solution. I feel that the other more annoying problem is the hard slam (like as if someone has hit u from behind) when you are in sports mode and the trans is changing from 3rd to 4th. Is this the "transmission slam" that members here mentioned? Any ways to prevent this? I really cannot get used to this!!
Old 09-17-2007 | 04:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

ill be taking mine to the dealer tomorrow for a software update, hope that fixes things. it really is unacceptable. my 330 has no problems, actually ive never had a car like this
Old 09-17-2007 | 09:03 AM
Members

i,ve been pulling my hair out for the last two weeks. i bought a 2003 545i 3 months ago. since two weeks ago my brakes have come so sharp. my wifes keeps telling me off for harsh braking. why the car was perfect before and now its doing this funny braking.
Old 09-17-2007 | 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

The transmission slam is a hard slam like someone just rear ended you. It could happen in any downshift.

Well, I brought my car in to get an update and it somewhat fixed the problem. At first it was pretty smooth coming to a stop. That was a month ago, now it's back. There is a difference however, the shudder doesn't occur at 5mph anymore where. Instead it occurs at 2-3mph. I think they delayed the shift point from 2-1 to a slower speed but it's still there. I'll have to look at my receipt to see what version and if they use the 2-1 Tip In Retrofit.
Old 09-19-2007 | 06:49 AM
Senior Members

is this 2-1" actually a seperate process? Sounds like they just update you to the latest software available.
Old 09-19-2007 | 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

OK, I did some testing yesterday.

First, I have to believe that the 545 (others?) just has very sticky brakes. Even in neutral, if I don't modulate the brakes carefully I reach a point where the brakes just "grip" and stop the car. The result is a sudden stop from about 2 mph.

I also noticed that when in D, the car seems to be downshifting as I slow down. I noticed this not by looking at the tach (too much traffic to do safely) but by feeling what the car was doing. As I applied a constant, non-modulated pressure to the brakes, I could feel the car downshifting. This gives the strong perception that I applied the brakes more when I in fact did not. My Acura TL did this too, but since the brakes were not as sensitive it was easy to overlook. I'm pretty sure my wife's minivan does this too (Honda Odyssey).

At this point I'm not really annoyed by this. I find it wonderful that I can feel what the car is doing to this great detail, and actually control it as finely as I can. This is nothing like the sponge I drove previously (aforementioned Acura). Some might say the car is touchy, but I'll call it personality. In some ways it reminds me of my E30, only all grown up.
Old 09-19-2007 | 08:00 AM
Senior Members

yes the brakes are incredibly grabby, but that doesnt mean brakes are good, they are overmodulating at a point where there is no need to.
Old 09-20-2007 | 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Thought I graduated to ?Junior?, I am still a newbie with only 2200 miles on my ?08 550 sport.

Not sure how F this AQ is, but I browsed into the 'Smooth Stops" thread about tranny slam, accel hesitation, etc.

I think I may have experienced some jerk or slip or bump while down shifting approaching a stop. I never hard brake for known stops and these have happened when almost stopped, like DS from 2 to 1. And not very often.

Q1: is this the issue being discussed in the thread?

Q2: I did not see many ?08 550 sport folks in the thread ? is this unique to my ride?

Q3: What is this about all the references to the ?CIP25.2?s, software updates, etc.? What are they and how does one get up to speed with them?

Q4: Why do I not have ?permission? to enter a FAQ in the FAQ forum category?

Appreciate the education in advance.
Old 10-02-2007 | 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Anyone ever get a final resolution from BMW on this?
Old 10-02-2007 | 11:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm apalled, I recently purchased a CPO 2005 545i and have been trying to figure out how to smoothly stop the car. In fact the car is sitting at Bob SMith BMW right now being diagnosed and "repaired" for this exact malady. So far they have come up with it being related to a software issue, and are updating it as we speak. My 545i is a steptronic transmission driven predominantly in normal not sport mode. The idea of having to relearn simple braking in a car of this level of engineering is simply mind boggling.

Quick Reply: Smooth Stops... Is it possible?