E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smooth Stops... Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='355998' date='Nov 14 2006, 08:41 AM
No problem with mine. 06 550 SMG. Funny thing is that alot of people talk about the quality concerns of SMG, but I keep on seeing issues with the step. I havent had any problems with SMG, slamming or rough stop. Knock on wood...

Kekkekkekeke Yup. interesting isnt it...

BUT then again... the step people will argue that there's a LOT more step people out there so the chances for problems is higher... I havent really seen any problems with SMG... the ones I read here have been the hydraulic pumps leaking... but that was like 2 years ago... I havent heard of anyone having that problem now. Now being able to get the car out of gear... *knock on wood 545 times*
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Contributors

I believe I have the same problem on my 04 530i. I just bought this thing CPO. I'll have to bring it up the next time i'm there for service
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Members

I had the stutter stop issue really bad in my '04 545i. I gave it to the dealer and they performed the "2-1 Tip In Procedure" on it, which I guess includes a progman update. My stops are flawless now. The only thing I feel now are the brakes, and I can control that.

There is a BMW technician over on the "other forum" who talked about how BMW seems to have finally come up with some true fixes for these transmission problems, and the 2-1 Tip In is one of them. He said that previously he would perform some update and it would kinda work at first but the customer would be back in a few weeks with the same complaint after the tranny "learned" it's bad habits back. But he says this new procedure is different and seems to be the final cure. He hasn't seen anyone bring it back for the tranny issues after having this procedure done.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this procedure done and if it seems to be a permanent fix. I've been on mine for a week now and it is still flawless. Absolutely a night and day difference from before. I'll let you know if it starts acting up again.

- Mark
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

What is exactly the 2-1 tip procedure ?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Members

On my invoice it actually calls it a "2-1 Tip In Retrofit". And I have absolutely no idea what it is. I can tell you that it most assuredly involved a progman update though. I got back in my car and had all kinds of iDrive changes. (I think my previous version was pretty old.) But I don't know what else they did beyond that. The exact text from the invoice says:

CUST STATES TRANS DNSHFTS HARD. CAUSES CAR TO JERK WHEN SLOWING DOWN. MOST NOTICABLE BETWEEN 2ND AND 1ST. VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. SUBMIT PUMA CASE. PROGRAM COMPLETE VEHICLE. INCL CAS. PERFORM 2-1 TIP IN RETROFIT. PERFORM AFS START-UP. TEST DROVE VEHICLE. OPERATES PROPERLY.

- Mark
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

I have noticed that it is not easy to come to a smooth non jerking stop unless I am very very careful. I don't have the transmission slam at all. What I feel is the the last bit in the stop is pretty harsh. I have progman 27 but I had the same issue w/ progman 26 and every other progman version so I am not completely sure that the slam is causing the problem. I had the slam issue but it was on acceleration while costing to a stop. I just thing that the breaks are hard to modulate to a soft stop.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Anyone have any new feedback on this? I need to visit the dealer and will ask about this 2-1 thing, but has anyone else had a change to get this fix, and did it work?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

I definitely experience some jerky stops. I'm 100% certain it is the brakes at this point. I've found that if I really think about a smooth stop and make the effort to modulate properly, I can stop as smoothly as on any other car. I'm writing it off to too many years driving cars with no concept of "touch".
Old 09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Members

I have this exact same problem with my 04 545i (7/04 build, sport pkg, nav). I bought the car last week CPO, and I have yet to be able to achieve a smooth stop. As others have said, it brakes normally at first, then "jerks" at the last second. I also can't seem to accelerate smoothly at very low speeds, but do not have this problem if I get on the gas a bit from the get-go. At first I thought this was all because I just wasn't used to the car, but now a transmission issue between 1-2 certainly makes sense.

This forum rocks, BTW! By reading I've already learned it's possible to get a bluetooth and MP3 retrofit and how to do it, plus this issue, which I otherwise would have no clue about and just assumed I had to live with it.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 1982 Pogo Stick, brick red

Harsh 2-1 downshift can be solved by programming update. BT and AUX jack can be retrofitted to your car by the dealership.

Quick Reply: Smooth Stops... Is it possible?