5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Smooth Stops... Is it possible? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/smooth-stops-possible-33406/)

amadeus00 11-13-2006 10:05 AM

Is it me or is it my 545 tranny that's driving me nuts. I can't come to a smooth stop without the car stuttering or stopping abruptly at the very last second. I know we have big brakes with lots of stopping power but comeon, this is also a luxury car! I ease off of the brake just before coming to a complete stop, around 3mph or less. The car will stutter when shifting into first thus makes the last feet of travel not smooth. The brakes are not very ease to let off without giving you that last jolt. With the stuttering, it makes it impossible.

Is there something wrong with my car? I can do the smooth stop on any car except mine. Very annoying.

dlevi67 11-13-2006 10:08 AM

Common problem. Unfortunately not all that easy to solve. Search for "transmission slam" and read around to see if you want to "risk" a software upgrade or not.

octee 11-13-2006 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='355624' date='Nov 13 2006, 02:05 PM
Is it me or is it my 545 tranny that's driving me nuts. I can't come to a smooth stop without the car stuttering or stopping abruptly at the very last second. I know we have big brakes with lots of stopping power but comeon, this is also a luxury car! I ease off of the brake just before coming to a complete stop, around 3mph or less. The car will stutter when shifting into first thus makes the last feet of travel not smooth. The brakes are not very ease to let off without giving you that last jolt. With the stuttering, it makes it impossible.

Is there something wrong with my car? I can do the smooth stop on any car except mine. Very annoying.

No, it's not possible to come to a nice smooth stop and it's extremely annoying. I've become quite frustrated with my car lately because of it. I have a service appointment, yes another, set up for next week, to see what can be done. To be fair, I didn't leave it at the shop the first time, which I'm fairly confident I will need to do so this time to correct the problem but yes, it's frustrating.

I can live with all the other nuances but this just pisses me off. :nono:

geokr1 11-13-2006 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by octee' post='355633' date='Nov 13 2006, 02:20 PM
No, it's not possible to come to a nice smooth stop and it's extremely annoying. I've become quite frustrated with my car lately because of it. I have a service appointment, yes another, set up for next week, to see what can be done. To be fair, I didn't leave it at the shop the first time, which I'm fairly confident I will need to do so this time to correct the problem but yes, it's frustrating.

I can live with all the other nuances but this just pisses me off. :nono:

My 550 is supposed to have "ComfortStop" to alleviate that problem but it does the same thing as yours - I agree - it ought to be smooth at these prices.

amadeus00 11-13-2006 10:26 AM

It's not the transmission slam. That more than a stutter or jolt, that's a down right slam in the rear feeling.

I wonder if it pertains to 2005 models. Anyone with 06 or 07?

my530i 11-13-2006 10:26 AM

Drive in D, and before coming to complete stop, shift to N. Slowly release the brake and you'll never to notice a jerkiness :)

amadeus00 11-13-2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by my530i' post='355637' date='Nov 13 2006, 03:26 PM
Drive in D, and before coming to complete stop, shift to N. Slowly release the brake and you'll never to notice a jerkiness :)

Because of this annoyance, I typically drive in M and don't shift to M1 until I am completely stopped. This helps but still not a solution for a $$$$ car.

Rizbel 11-13-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by my530i' post='355637' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:26 AM

That's weird :confused: I don't have this problem. The jerk comes when I accelerate from 0 mph especially at a stoplight :devil: . I do brake gradually though.

octee 11-13-2006 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='355639' date='Nov 13 2006, 02:29 PM
Because of this annoyance, I typically drive in M and don't shift to M1 until I am completely stopped. This helps but still not a solution for a $$$$ car.

My point exactly.. we shouldn't have to find all these work arounds. I have it down to a science so that it's barely noticeable but when my husband drives the car it makes me crazy as a passenger. It may specific to 05's though.

arcleid 11-13-2006 11:07 AM

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I drive a 525i and I can come to a smooth stop with gentle control of brake.