E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car is out of warranty, and i took it to the dealer already and they can not reset the error and saying that it is the seat sensor that is bad.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Members

My car is a 2004 530i wiith 55000 mls. The message came on last week for the third time. The first two times it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer. Last week when the mesage came on, no one was seated in the passenger seat. But as soon as I got home I switched the engine off and back on and the message went away. Since then I have not have the message come back. It seems that BMW should do something about this problem. I think something like this should not happen 3 times in 55000 mls, and to so many people's car.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Members

The passenger occupancy sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced...pretty common problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Members

Hi, I'm new to this forum ....and I've read through this thread thoroghly and have found alot of helpful information but no one has mentioned what I heard from the dealership SA about the 'Restraint System Malfunction' msg..

I have a 2004 530i (about 57000 miles) which i just bought in December... I love the car and purchased an extended warranty because the existing one was about to end so i thought i was good...
Then about a month the "Restraint System Malfunction" message comes up on the IDrive... So right before taking a 9 hour drive, I head to the dealership where they can't seem to find out what is causing the message (talk about inexperience).... the Manager tells me that he's got 3 mechanics looking at it but they do not know what is causing the issue.. he even goes as far as saying that he even has the Lead Mechanic (Supervisor) looking at it.... this made so sense to me because I figured it was just a sensor issue...
After 3 hours waiting they convince me to take a rental car and come back... I barely drove out of the parking lot when they call me and say that I need a new battery?!?!?!? They stated that the "battery is sending a faulty signal which is causing the restraint system to fail"... this really make no sense to me as batteries don't generally send signals (but i could be wrong)...

Has anyone been told that it was the battery causing this issue? i have not had the battery replaced yet and really want to get another opinion first... the battery will cost about $500 (parts and labor) and of course is not covered under the extended warranty...
Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Members

Hey bud! I recall reading someone's post that they claimed there passenger restraint system was also fixed with replacing the battery. The idea behind it is that when the battery gets below a certain percentage, idrive shuts off certain systems to conserve battery life.

I myself is suffering from the dreaded Passenger Restraint system failure light, ALSO a check engine light with increased emissions, aswell as a window anti-trap function disabled message. Out of warranty just 3 weeks before.

I have an appointment with BMW a week from now. I am quite afraid of the outcome.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Members

I had this warning come up when my battery was only 40% charged. This was being caused by a faulty boot switch not letting the car go into sleep mode and so the battery drained. As has been said, once the battery gets too low it shuts down systems it doesn't need to run the car - restraint systems are one of those (thought I'd posted all this earlier).

So yes, a new battery may be needed but it may not be a problem with the battery itself. Maybe something else is causing it to drain. Let them change the battery and see how you get on. If you have the original battery it could very well need a new one.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:12 PM
Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
My BMW 2006 530I Had the exactly the same problem as you have. It started last week ( July 15th 2008) However , my car is over 50K mile and it is not under the warranty. We went to the near by dealer ( Shelly BMW in Buena Park CA) , paid $135 USD for diagnosis up front. The dealer is asking another $1300 to fix the problem . WHAT A RIP OFF !!!! I cant afford for this repair job. So , we went back home without fixing the problem. The dealer told us the car is too High Mileage for warranty ??? Here is what I think : THIS CAR IS ONLY A 2 YEAR OLD CAR . THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MILEAGE OR DRIVING. IT IS A MANUFACTURE DEFECT . OUR LIFE AND DRIVING SAFETY NOW IS AT RISK OF THIS BMW FACTORY DEFECT !!!!!! Anyone Please help us to get this problem fix .... We think the Shelly BMW dealer is careless and very rude. They dont even care about our life endanger when we driving with this defective problem. SO WHAT SHOULD WE GO FROM HERE ? ANYONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by onlyjermaine' post='603963' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum ....and I've read through this thread thoroghly and have found alot of helpful information but no one has mentioned what I heard from the dealership SA about the 'Restraint System Malfunction' msg..

I have a 2004 530i (about 57000 miles) which i just bought in December... I love the car and purchased an extended warranty because the existing one was about to end so i thought i was good...
Then about a month the "Restraint System Malfunction" message comes up on the IDrive... So right before taking a 9 hour drive, I head to the dealership where they can't seem to find out what is causing the message (talk about inexperience).... the Manager tells me that he's got 3 mechanics looking at it but they do not know what is causing the issue.. he even goes as far as saying that he even has the Lead Mechanic (Supervisor) looking at it.... this made so sense to me because I figured it was just a sensor issue...
After 3 hours waiting they convince me to take a rental car and come back... I barely drove out of the parking lot when they call me and say that I need a new battery?!?!?!? They stated that the "battery is sending a faulty signal which is causing the restraint system to fail"... this really make no sense to me as batteries don't generally send signals (but i could be wrong)...

Has anyone been told that it was the battery causing this issue? i have not had the battery replaced yet and really want to get another opinion first... the battery will cost about $500 (parts and labor) and of course is not covered under the extended warranty...
We had just replace our Battery 2 weeks ago. Than the problem came out. I dont think this problem has anything to do with the battery. IT IS A FACTORY / MANUFACTURE DEFECT ...... BMW SHOULD REPAIR IT AS A RECALL ISSUE FOR CUSTOMER SAFETY !!!!! ASAP
Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by evermakekoi' post='634681' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:57 PM
My BMW 2006 530I Had the exactly the same problem as you have. It started last week ( July 15th 2008) However , my car is over 50K mile and it is not under the warranty. We went to the near by dealer ( Shelly BMW in Buena Park CA) , paid $135 USD for diagnosis up front. The dealer is asking another $1300 to fix the problem . WHAT A RIP OFF !!!! I cant afford for this repair job. So , we went back home without fixing the problem. The dealer told us the car is too High Mileage for warranty ??? Here is what I think : THIS CAR IS ONLY A 2 YEAR OLD CAR . THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MILEAGE OR DRIVING. IT IS A MANUFACTURE DEFECT . OUR LIFE AND DRIVING SAFETY NOW IS AT RISK OF THIS BMW FACTORY DEFECT !!!!!! Anyone Please help us to get this problem fix .... We think the Shelly BMW dealer is careless and very rude. They dont even care about our life endanger when we driving with this defective problem. SO WHAT SHOULD WE GO FROM HERE ? ANYONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!
I contact BMW NA . The send me to near by dealer to fix the problem. Goodwill , BMW cover the labor and parts ...
BMW quality car ... Quality service ... Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by evermakekoi' post='639610' date='Aug 4 2008, 06:09 PM
I contact BMW NA . The send me to near by dealer to fix the problem. Goodwill , BMW cover the labor and parts ...
BMW quality car ... Quality service ... Thanks
I just recently got the same passanger restraint failure message. I went to the dealer and they said that ti was the mat sensor and that it would cost $1,300 to fix. This was BMW Long Beach. I didn't get it done. I just visited the BMW NA website and found that they will be sending out 200,000 recal notices late September 2008. That's this month. Here is the link to BMW NA with the advisement.....
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Con...Us/Default.aspx

Hope this helps. I know that it helped me and made me feel a lot better. Thanks to all for all the great info on this site!!!!

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)