E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009 | 09:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by miamie60' post='912721' date='Jun 15 2009, 08:10 PM
guys, I just found this on the web

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Con...taryRecall.aspx

this might help us all!
I just got a letter from BMW this weekend stating that my vehicle was among the ones affected by this. Took this to the dealer and they
fixed it free of charge. The campaign number is 0065070200 so call your SA and give him your VIN # so he can check to see
if your car is covered under this recall.
Old 06-23-2009 | 09:13 PM
Members

would that still apply to u.s. vehicles but are now residing in canada?
Old 08-20-2009 | 12:44 PM
Members

Smile

Originally Posted by MtnViewMichael' post='766293' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:53 PM
I just wanted to post my experience with this problem.

Airbag light and passenger seatbelt light came on about 2 months ago. Then the battery started going dead on cold mornings. I took the car to BMW of Chattanooga and they advised that I needed a new battery and that the seat mat was causing the lights to go off. I spent the $475 for a new battery but declined on the $1,600 seat mat since the lights had gone off due to the battery cables being unplugged. After about 500 miles the lights came on again. I simply can't stand having warning lights on, so I called BMW NA at 1-800-525-7417. The guy was very friendly and gathered some information. My car has 68,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. No problem, he contacted BMW of Chattanooga for me and had the situation handled. I have an appointment this week to have the seat mat replaced and hopefully solving my problem.

Just wanted to give everyone an encouraging experience and the correct number to call!@!
Hi there,

I have dealt with BMWNA and they have helped me out with warranty issues before. As far as this Air Bag sensor light is concerned, I had no faults at all...BMW called me in stating that I had a recall. So i took the car in and guess what???? When I went to pick up the car after service hours, The Passenger restraint Warning light comes on!!!! WTF???? i was happy without them screwing things up! I have another apointment on Saturday morning to fix this issue. They had better not charge me for this!! They are the ones who brought this error on! Hopefully I don't have to call BMWNA again!
Old 08-20-2009 | 06:44 PM
Members

i called bmwna about the recall on it, i have the exact same problem and message on my display....they told me its vin specified and mine was not included which is bs cuz clearly its the same damn problem same two ligts on same warning same everything, i was pretty choked to hear they werent going to do anything bout it too especially after spending 1100 to replace my tcu.
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:12 AM
Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
Hi There,

I had exactly the same problem.. fotunately the recall covered the fix. The difference is that my error coded and they completed the fix ...twice.....They should look into this more thouroghly for you....obviously this is a major concern....I would contact BMWNA again and update them on this matter
Old 01-07-2010 | 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver. (6spd)(Sport)(Premium)(Navi)(Active Steering)(Adaptive Headlights)

BMW just banged me for $580 for a cable to fix this issue. Super Stoked!!!
Old 01-07-2010 | 07:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Triple5NYC' post='1085908' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:13 AM
BMW just banged me for $580 for a cable to fix this issue. Super Stoked!!!

I had the same problem and BMW told me i had to fork out like 850 bucks for it, so i left it there i had no idea there was a recall i will check with BMW usa and see what they can do for me
Old 01-08-2010 | 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver. (6spd)(Sport)(Premium)(Navi)(Active Steering)(Adaptive Headlights)

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='1085915' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:36 AM
I had the same problem and BMW told me i had to fork out like 850 bucks for it, so i left it there i had no idea there was a recall i will check with BMW usa and see what they can do for me
I wrote a letter of complaint to the dealer, and to bmw usa as well. Its principle at this point. despite being out of warranty and missing a "recall" this is a faulty, harness/cable supplied by BMW. I don't this this is a cost that should be incurred by the owner. My car is an 04 but it only has 33k on it, was only a matter of time before i experienced this problem. BMW should absorb some if not all of the price. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-14-2010 | 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 White 530i

Originally Posted by dixon' post='984136' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:44 PM
i called bmwna about the recall on it, i have the exact same problem and message on my display....they told me its vin specified and mine was not included which is bs cuz clearly its the same damn problem same two ligts on same warning same everything, i was pretty choked to hear they werent going to do anything bout it too especially after spending 1100 to replace my tcu.
I had the same response from BMW NA as well as the local BMW dealer, they told me my VIN wasn't under the recall and I was out of luck. I also think it's BS, not sure what to do b/c I really don't want to fork out $1000+ bucks to fix something I also feel isn't a driver/owner issue, but a manufacturing issue. At the same time, I very concerned for my passengers so I have them sitting in the back seats b/c I fear my passenger airbags won't deploy if something should happen (knock on wood).
Anyone from BMW with insight and help would be great.

-JP
Old 01-20-2010 | 06:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jphuynh714' post='1090652' date='Jan 14 2010, 01:49 PM
I had the same response from BMW NA as well as the local BMW dealer, they told me my VIN wasn't under the recall and I was out of luck. I also think it's BS, not sure what to do b/c I really don't want to fork out $1000+ bucks to fix something I also feel isn't a driver/owner issue, but a manufacturing issue. At the same time, I very concerned for my passengers so I have them sitting in the back seats b/c I fear my passenger airbags won't deploy if something should happen (knock on wood).
Anyone from BMW with insight and help would be great.

-JP

My wife and I are about to the pull the trigger on buying a 2006 530xi and during our test drive
this warning light came on.

The dealer said they would fix the issue but i want to make sure i have all the bases covered. Any
information and or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

oh, and here's the car

Well, after a little digging this is what i found out
RECALL: 2004-2006 BMW 5-Series
NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V384000

www.nhtsa.dot.gov
Manufacturer BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Recall Date: JUL 18, 2008
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 200000
Description AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
Summary BMW IS RECALLING 200,000 MY 2006 3 SERIES SPORT SEAT, MY 2004-2006 5 SERIES STANDARD AND SPORT SEAT, AND MY 2004-2006 X3 PASSENGER VEHICLES. DEPENDING ON THE MANNER AND FREQUENCY OF THE FRONT PASSENGER'S ENTRY AND EXIT, SMALL CRACKS HAVE DEVELOPED IN THE MAT. IF THIS OCCURS, THE FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE HEAD PROTECTION SYSTEM, WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP AS WELL AS THE PASSENGER AIR BAG "ON-OFF" LAMP WILL BE ILLUMINATED.
Consequence IN THIS SITUATION THE FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY EVEN IF A SUFFICIENTLY SEVERE ACCIDENT WOULD OCCUR AND OCCUPANT PROTECTION PROVIDED BY THE SYSTEM WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE.
Remedy DEALERS WILL REWORK THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT SO THAT EXTERNAL FORCE APPLICATION TO THE SEAT DOES NOT CAUSE A CRACK TO THE MAT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING LATE SEPTEMBER 2008. BMW WILL ALSO EXTEND THE WARRANTY ON THESE VEHICLES TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT.

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)