E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Restraint System Failure (Passenger)-e60.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

I had the same issues with my '04. I brought it in a few years back (and again last year) due to the same problems, but the stealers couldn't find any problems or error codes. I don't know if you already know this, but last year, owners of E60's produced on or before 3/31/05 received a Class Action Suit Settlement in the mail that would correct the problem free of charge. This finally fixed all my problems. Do you remember getting any such letter? Unfortunately for you, owners whose warranties expired could still get it done for free, BUT they were required to schedule a visit on or before the end of last year.

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:12 AM
Hello,

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lokoloko' post='514737' date='Jan 7 2008, 10:35 AM
I had the same issues with my '04. I brought it in a few years back (and again last year) due to the same problems, but the stealers couldn't find any problems or error codes. I don't know if you already know this, but last year, owners of E60's produced on or before 3/31/05 received a Class Action Suit Settlement in the mail that would correct the problem free of charge. This finally fixed all my problems. Do you remember getting any such letter? Unfortunately for you, owners whose warranties expired could still get it done for free, BUT they were required to schedule a visit on or before the end of last year.
I have the same problem. i went to BMW in November, but they said cos i bought the car from the states and am from canada, they won't be able to see me till end of this month!! I wonder if they will be telling me some story about not being able to fix it, since it's 2008, even though i brought the problem to them last year.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

I hope you have documentation that says you went in to have it fixed or atleast made an appointement back in November to get the job done at the end of this month.

Originally Posted by rmejule' post='514759' date='Jan 7 2008, 10:43 AM
I have the same problem. i went to BMW in November, but they said cos i bought the car from the states and am from canada, they won't be able to see me till end of this month!! I wonder if they will be telling me some story about not being able to fix it, since it's 2008, even though i brought the problem to them last year.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lokoloko' post='514795' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:48 PM
I hope you have documentation that says you went in to have it fixed or atleast made an appointement back in November to get the job done at the end of this month.
Yeah they have me booked for this month, and it was done last November, so it should be interesting, i'll be sure to bring up the class action suit. Is it something that they will recognise in Canada?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Members

What do you guys think the chances are that the dealers will recognise the class action suit and actually work to help fix the problem?

Originally Posted by rmejule' post='514807' date='Jan 7 2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah they have me booked for this month, and it was done last November, so it should be interesting, i'll be sure to bring up the class action suit. Is it something that they will recognise in Canada?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributors

I would talk to the same SA that took a look at it for you last time and see what they can do. So you never got the letter?

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='515059' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:04 AM
What do you guys think the chances are that the dealers will recognise the class action suit and actually work to help fix the problem?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lokoloko' post='515184' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:21 PM
I would talk to the same SA that took a look at it for you last time and see what they can do. So you never got the letter?
I just got the car late last year, so don't have any prior contact with BMW. The dealers in Canada hear will try to avoid paying for it at all cost, so i will have to stand my ground on this one.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:12 AM

Hello,

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='515583' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
That would be awesome to get something from you guys before i go for my appointment. You've just given me some faith with BMW. Cos BMWs in Alberta are not doing the company any favours in terms of quality of service, (especially Calgary) and that is well documented!!!!!

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)