E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008 | 08:28 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Could it be related to this:

NHTSA OPENS BMW AIRBAG INVESTIGATION

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launched an engineering
analysis investigation concerning a potential problem with front passenger-side airbags in
several 2004-2006 BMW models that could affect up to 300,000 vehicles. The agency
says the occupant classification system may malfunction, causing the airbag not to
deploy when it should.

BMW and NHTSA have collected more than 700 complaints about the sensing system.
BMW also has recorded more than 23,000 possibly related warranty claims.
BMW issued a technical service bulletin about the airbags in June 2006. It subsequently
replaced the seat sensor that determines the presence, position and size of an
occupant to tailor airbag deployment.
Old 02-01-2008 | 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:12 PM
Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

I just got this same exact message tonight when a passenger got into my Car, and the light is still on along with the message in i drive! i just bought my car about 2 months ago 2004 with no warranty!
Old 02-05-2008 | 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='515583' date='Jan 9 2008, 03:00 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
This morning, this same warning had occured on my 2004 530i.
I was driving alone and it came up, and wont go off.
My warrenty is over (due to kms, has been less 4 years)
I am very concerned about the well being of my passengers.

I also live in alberta like rmejule, and i will also have to wait over a month to get my car looked at.
(My car is a Canadian car)
Agian like rmejule, I am also concerned with the level of care / service at the BMW Service locations in Alberta, not just in regards to this issue.

I am not sure if this expired class action lawsuit is relvent post Dec.07, or if it was ever relevant in Canada.

Does anyone have a contact number for BMW NA Customer Relations ?
Old 02-05-2008 | 08:07 PM
Members

Interesting what happens when you don't read the forums...
I've got an '05 525, ED pickup done in 10/04.

I had this problem 2x. Both times, the dealer did something under warranty.
I've never received this letter about a class action lawsuit

hmmmm
Old 02-05-2008 | 09:27 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

happened to me once and ended up being a faulty sensor in the seat. dealer replaced it under warranty and said it was a "common problem".
Old 02-06-2008 | 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

What a coincidence. I had the same warning pop on this morning on my 2004 545. It is still under the original warranty and also is CPO, so I guess I'll make an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out.

I'm so thankful for these forums. This is another example of what a great resource it is.
Old 02-06-2008 | 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

I have been reading the threads and noticed that most of the complaints were 04 530i. i also had the same problem(same year and model). Dealer replaced sensor took three hours but it was covered by warranty.
Old 02-06-2008 | 01:26 PM
Senior Members

intresting...
Old 02-06-2008 | 02:38 PM
Members

I had this issue in early November on my 2006 530xi. Dealer performed a short test and found a fault code in the passenger seat occupancy mat. They replaced the mat and cleared the fault memory code. Haven't had an issue since then. My car is under warranty so I don't have any idea of the cost of repair.
Old 02-06-2008 | 03:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 06xi' post='528163' date='Feb 6 2008, 07:38 PM
I had this issue in early November on my 2006 530xi. Dealer performed a short test and found a fault code in the passenger seat occupancy mat. They replaced the mat and cleared the fault memory code. Haven't had an issue since then. My car is under warranty so I don't have any idea of the cost of repair.
yea it seems pretty common ,
my warrenty is out, but does anyone know if bmw honors airbags (safety features longer then the 4 year 80000km?)

hopefully its a reasonable price, the earliest time i got my car in is mid-march, will let u know the cost

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)