E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can PLEASE, someone give me an email so i can get in touch with mother BMW in germany. i have the same problem and dealer wants to charge me in SAUDI ARABIA. Many of my problems have had the problem and paid for it.and i don't want to be a victim for it. I'm sure this is a worldwide problem and not just USA.

Plus, it wouldnt hurt to email.

I want to email someone who will ACTUALLY RESPOND BACK, and not neglect my mail.

Highly appreciated if someone can help me out
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Members

Unhappy

Same problem happened to my new 520d (only 2 weeks old) this morning. This is my first time buying BMW (being a Merc loyal for years)...kind of dissapointed! Note that the car is locally built (Thailand).
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i.....nothing special other than it's the best car in the world.

I just wanted to post my experience with this problem.

Airbag light and passenger seatbelt light came on about 2 months ago. Then the battery started going dead on cold mornings. I took the car to BMW of Chattanooga and they advised that I needed a new battery and that the seat mat was causing the lights to go off. I spent the $475 for a new battery but declined on the $1,600 seat mat since the lights had gone off due to the battery cables being unplugged. After about 500 miles the lights came on again. I simply can't stand having warning lights on, so I called BMW NA at 1-800-525-7417. The guy was very friendly and gathered some information. My car has 68,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. No problem, he contacted BMW of Chattanooga for me and had the situation handled. I have an appointment this week to have the seat mat replaced and hopefully solving my problem.

Just wanted to give everyone an encouraging experience and the correct number to call!@!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Contributors

has anybody had this problem fixed, but then when the passenger gets out of the seat and you drive off the fasten seat belt sign comes up for them?
even though they are no longer in the car?
Regards
Tom
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Contributors

has anybody had this problem fixed, but then when the passenger gets out of the seat and you drive off the fasten seat belt sign comes up for them?
even though they are no longer in the car?
Regards
Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Zig
Senior Members

My Ride: E39 525i, E60 530i, F10

I've the same problem Restraint System Failure when my car was 2 years old in 2006. I was told this is a very common problem and the service adviser knew exactly what the problem was before I even tried to elaborate the issue. PML (BMW agent in Singapore) replaced the passenger seat sensor under warranty and the problem went away. Cool.

About 9 months later, the same error message appeared. However this time, it wasn't the passenger seat sensor. My car was sent back several times, each time replacing a different sensor but the problem still exist. Finally, the problem was fixed when PML figured that the "master sensor module" was faulty.

Another 2.5 years later, this week, the same error message appeared! I'll send my car in probably the week after next when I am free. I wonder what is wrong this time. Anyone wanna guess??
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:12 AM
Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
now with the same problem, i've been reading this tread.. i dunno if my car battery is low or.. what cuz i been at home for a while now and the drive to the shop is like 100 meters.. lolzz tmr ill take for a drive or idle it for an hour or so.. hope it work out for me
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Members

guys, I just found this on the web

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Con...taryRecall.aspx

this might help us all!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Members

The is really anoying..

My battery was dead and this started happening...do you people think that there could be any relation? I jump started the car
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545 2004 BSM

I have the same problem on my 545 2004

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)