E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Ended! Head rests deployed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='899997' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:08 PM
UPDATE... the body shop ran an estimate and ordered the parts. Turns out the headrests are so new, that the parts, including the gas cartridges that help deploy the system, are nowhere in the US nor Germany! On backorder! And when available the cartridges cannot be shipped air, but only boat and then truck. So it's looking like +/- 3 weeks until they arrive.

And the dealer says the car is not safe to drive since the passive restraint system is compromised. They suggested i park it until it can all be repaired. Looks like I'll be picking up a rental car tomorrow and that'll be my ride for the next few weeks. All this because the other driver "was distracted".
Sorry to hear about your accident, the positive side about it is that nothing really serious happened to you or your son. I got rear ended a about 6 weeks ago in an intersection trying to get into ramp. My 06 does not have obviously the cool headrest yours got but one of the good things I can share with you is that our rides are designed with safety in mind, mine took the hit like a man; I was driving and slowing down at 50 mph when the other driver got me I would say about 65 mph. The damages were broken RT taillight, dent trunk, and the bumper got some scratches and some paint gone. My insurance got my car fixed right away,but it terms of health my wife had a severe neck pain, my son and I had some but less compared to her. Neither insurances mentioned or refer me to see a doc, and it appeared to me that no one really care about our health, on top of that I do not carry rental car in my insurance and the other insurance did not want to commit to it until all investigations were completed. That really pissed me off, I called a lawyer that work in these cases and they got the case. They told me all what was going to happen and refer me to a chiropractic (which we still being treated for). Like some said earlier, this won't make you rich but it will take care of your losses especially your love one' health and your ride. btw my ride was fixed by a certified body shop to the detail, it looks better than the accident. GL
Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by theXman' post='895715' date='May 31 2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear what happened. So glad that you and your son are ok.
+1.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='897132' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:43 PM
It's day 3 since the accident and I still have a headache - seriously. An attorney friend said to handle the personal injury myself but that's unfamiliar territory for me. I think he was trying to save me the attorney's cut. I don't want to be litigious but this has caused health issues for me and has interfered with my ability to earn an income.

Also, I really want the dealership to repair/repack the headrests but they (the dealer) seem to think the insurance company will balk at the labor rates ($100 vs $70 at body shop). I think we'll find out tomorrow how cooperative the insurance company is going to be on all this. Lastly, the dealer noted that my trunk is out of alignment now. I hope that doesn't mean the whole back end of the car got somehow twisted! This may be worse than I initially thought. Will think positive!
I think I mentioned this when you first started this thread. Anyway good luck!!

This is why you have insurance. I would go to the doctors and do what you have to do in order to have a fruitful outcome and of course to get the medical attention you need. You have full coverage so I would not worry to much about the doctor bills. You have what's known as uninsured/underinsured on top of your liability and comprehensive. Most people that have full coverage have this insurance. What some people don't know is that the insurance company does not tell you much about it because it's very inexpensive and unless to raise it to the max they won't say anything. Most insured vehicles have the minimum on this because they are not aware.

You should all look at your insurance documents and make sure that this is in par with your liability. example 100-300,000 liability then it should be 100-300,000 uninsured/underinsured. This comes into play when you are suing the other insurance company and you get their max what ever it may be. If it falls short then you sue your own insurance under the underinsured portion of your policy.

Rick.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Update: Told the insurance company that the headrest parts would take approximately 3 weeks to come in. Both the dealer and body shop had advised me not to drive the car until it was fixed; the supplemental restraint systems were compromised and airbags would not deploy if I were involved in another accident. I'd need a rental car pronto and need it for 3 or more weeks. Insurance company said they couldn't provide a rental car until I took my BMW to the body shop. I flatly refused allowing the body shop to store my car for such a long time. God only knows what could happen to it there. Thankfully, they didn't argue that point and rental was delivered to me this afternoon - 2009 Nissan Maxima. Silver on black. Pretty nice looking, but it's NO BMW. Nice pickup, but steering is loose, suspension floats, handling sloppy. Wide body panels suggest they took styling cues from e60.

I'll post a review and pics under a new thread after a day or so behind the wheel.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='895977' date='May 31 2009, 07:17 PM
This is as good as I can do at the moment:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53949
I think this is the time line for Active Head Restraints (at least for US models):

5 series 2008-2009 (mfg. after Aug 2007) All seats
5 series 2004-2008 (mfg. before Sept 2007) Comfort seats only

My 2006 530xi (June 2005 build) has them.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='900490' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:39 AM
You have what's known as uninsured/underinsured on top of your liability and comprehensive. Most people that have full coverage have this insurance. What some people don't know is that the insurance company does not tell you much about it because it's very inexpensive and unless to raise it to the max they won't say anything. Most insured vehicles have the minimum on this because they are not aware.

You should all look at your insurance documents and make sure that this is in par with your liability. example 100-300,000 liability then it should be 100-300,000 uninsured/underinsured. This comes into play when you are suing the other insurance company and you get their max what ever it may be. If it falls short then you sue your own insurance under the underinsured portion of your policy.

Rick.
This is really good info. Thanks for sharing that. I think I have always just gone with my insurance company's recommendation, without really understanding how these limits come into play.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='901603' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:33 AM
This is really good info. Thanks for sharing that. I think I have always just gone with my insurance company's recommendation, without really understanding how these limits come into play.
wow.. glad your okay seriously.. but not for nothing that is so cool that the headrests do that.. i never knew they could pop ouit like that.. wow.. but like someone else said on here im not sure how it would help or not, but it sure looks damm cool..
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twh' post='901402' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:45 PM
I think this is the time line for Active Head Restraints (at least for US models):

5 series 2008-2009 (mfg. after Aug 2007) All seats
5 series 2004-2008 (mfg. before Sept 2007) Comfort seats only

My 2006 530xi (June 2005 build) has them.
Correct. and this is the reason that the 5 series did well in the IIHS rear collision rating.
The rating (rear) improved from dismal to acceptable in 2007

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraint...raints.aspx?bmw