E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OH SO SATISFIED !!!

Old 01-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery of my black on black 530i in mid November. I got the sports package, premium package and winter package. Within three days after picking up the car I got my first speeding ticket in over three years. That is how much fun the car has been to drive. Its been a little over two months now since I have had the car and I have racked up over six thousand miles already. I cant seem to stay out of the car. I have a Toyota Land Cruiser that just sits idly in my garage begging to be driven but the Bimmer is way too intoxicating a drive to consider ditching it now. Maybe a few months from now when the newness is gone..... naw I dont think that will ever happen. Before going any further I think a disclaimer is in order. I do not advocate fast and unsafe driving under any circumstance. Having said that, boy oh boy can this car corner. I was driving on the Hutchinson River Parkway in Westchester, New York last week and went around a corner well in excess of 70 mph and it absolutely felt like I was on a straightaway. The Active Roll Stabilization system just ate the corner up and made it disappear. This car is pure driving fun. I have been totally in love with the styling since the get-go and now I see quite a few more numbskull magazine writers are coming around. Like most people on this forum I do have my own little nit picks though they are easily overlooked. I am not too crazy about the cup holders. As a passenger in the front seat I would find them intrusive. The head rest on the sports seat is way too high and inaccessible. The trunk lid can almost be classified as a dangerous weapon (have you seen how that thing flies up? make sure you are not standing close or you will lose a few teeth). My only other complaint is that a few mornings ago when it was brutally cold I started up the car and got a computer message saying "Engine Fault" and that I should drive at moderate speed. After being alarmed initially I turned the engine off and back on after an hour and the message dissappeared, go figure.

Finally I am, like just about everyone here happy as a pig in blanket with my new car. As a young, single guy I am enjoying all the attention I am getting from the ladies. The 530 with the sports package and premium package is the only way to go if you are not going to buy the 545i. BMW, keep on turning out these wonderful babies.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Members

I have my 530d from october. I never had any problem with the trunk lid which a allway choose to open remotely!
I just wish it had an automatic closing option...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Members

Newbie, that's interesting that your lid doesnt fly up as fast when you open it considering that your car would have rolled of the production line at approximatel the same time as mine. I have read where other people are having the same trouble as mine. Do you think my dealer can do some sort of adjustment to slow it down? I am not kidding when I say a few unsuspecting friends have almost lost a tooth or two from standing too close to the trunk when it was opened.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
rem
Members

Bankerboy, my experience is equally satisfying. I got my 545i 6 speed in late November and have put 4,500 miles on it. Fortunately, I live in an area (Miami Valley in Ohio) that has lots of winding hilly roads. What a rush it is driving and taking those turns at 70 mph!

I agree with you on the cupholders, but I don't drink when I'm driving, so not an issue. The trunk is amusing...I make sure I'm not nearby when I open it. My only outstanding issue with the car is getting a phone installed. They don't seem to have the hardware (they call it an "eject box") to make the phone happen yet.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

bankerboy:

Congrats on the new ride. I understand your feelings fully! Took delivery of my new car yesterday. A fully loaded 545iA. Haven?t had so much fun driving in many many years!!! Woke up 3 hours early this morning.

Only sad thing is the winter here and slippery roads.

Yesterday surely was an amazing BMW day for me. First as said, delivery of my car, and then in the evening presentation of the 645Ci at the local dealer.

No wonder you can?t sleep!! Getting back later with more in depth report of the car.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Bankerboy,

I share the same. The style has finally growed on me, my opinion it looks sporty and refined. Since I bought her new shoes, every where I go is a head turner. the stock wheels are too small and too simple for the lines of this car I have to force myself to slow down, everyday when I go to work I don't realize I'm cruising at 100mph. The cornering is fantastic, with the active roll, it feels as if there are rails there. So far 2500 miles since December and loved every single one of it. This car is an addicition, I can stop wanting to drive it.

The trunk feature is a plus, I have been wanting a pop up trunk like this on BMW since I had my 98 M3 convertible. Now with 2 babies and placing stuf in the trunk is very easy now. The cupholders I feel are intrusive to the passenger and feel a bit far from the driver. The only thing I have noticed is the crosswind at high speeds when windy. Cruising at 75 mph is no problem but higher thatn that and windy, most definately you can feel the car jerking a bit.

Bottom line, BMW really has a winner here. The sport package makes a Huge difference of how this car drives at low speeds and highway speeds. I drove my friends 2003 530I 5 speed going back to my house from his house and his car felt heavy, the steering wheel felt hardto turn and the suspension old. Before I had my car, his car flet very smooth and great, I think we are all getting spoiled with this BMW active gizmos.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bankerboy' date='Jan 22 2004, 12:33 PM
Newbie, that's interesting that your lid doesnt fly up as fast when you open it considering that your car would have rolled of the production line at approximatel the same time as mine. I have read where other people are having the same trouble as mine. Do you think my dealer can do some sort of adjustment to slow it down? I am not kidding when I say a few unsuspecting friends have almost lost a tooth or two from standing too close to the trunk when it was opened.
All i was saying is that i open the lid from distance (10 feet away, or so). From there, it really doesnt bother my how fast it flys.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 AM
z

<_< The first time I went to see the E60, I saw two guys who were checking out the new 5 and one was convincing the other how great it was. Until he opened the trunk and it swung up and whacked him on the jaw. The guy got a little dizzy and stopped yapping about how great it was and started cursing German engineering.

He then dragged his injured mug away and sat on a chair to recover and reconsider marketing the car to his friend.

It was hard to keep myself from laughing as it was a funny sight. But at the same time I know I was very surprised when I opened the trunk and if it wasn't a near miss in my case I know I would have been just as pissed as that guy.

I was sitting in the driver's seat admiring the interior design of the doors when I heard my father shout something about the "damned trunk trying to kill" him.

For two near misses and one injury in the span of 15 minutes in a BMW showroom, I think there is something wrong with this design. It should open slower, period.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I agree, the open all the way feature is nice, but it wouldn't hurt if it happened at a reasonable pace. I am waiting until '05 MY, so maybe this will be upgraded by then...probably not though.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

I basically like the automatic opening of the trunk. But why did they not install a button inside the car, to open the lid. Just like in the E39.

There is a prepared spot, for a button, on the same place as in the E39.
But there are no button in my car ( 545iA with all options ).

Very inconvenient like when I let my wife off and she needs her bags in the trunk.
I the need to switch off the ignition and take the key out. Then I can open the trunk via the key button!?

Anyone knows anything about this??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OH SO SATISFIED !!!