E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it poor style to drive with your parking lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Originally Posted by pukka
U sure?

On my LCI setting the switch to position 3 when its bright outside only turns on the AE's which on our cars act as DRL's. When I pull into my garage the low beams come on.

Position 0 only turns on the AE's as DRL's. Note the DRL's have to be enabled via idrive.

Now that I think of it - do you have Bi-Xenons?
High five to you. I just tried this earlier and my AEs come on as DRL. Who knew.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I prefer Position 3 as well and it isn't in poor taste that you drive with your parking lights on. I can't see this offending anyone.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Alright alright, I am here to answer questions.

Originally Posted by imagine
anyone know how to make the LCI halogen Angel eyes run as DRL only without the high beam bulb on low voltage? Can this be coded?
Yes, AEs can be coded to run as DRL for LCI halogen.

Originally Posted by imagine
understand from your point, but if we can find a solution to not have to turn on parking lights and the angel eyes comes on whenever the car is on, that is a better solution.
Solution already exist. Can be done.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I have personally not seen a projector headlamp in an LCI and not be bi-xenon. It may exist but I am unaware. I don't keep up with these things. From the photo it appears that your projection headlamp has a halogen bub.
An "angel eye" is the ring.
You should have the option in your iDrive to enable DRL but you need to know which headlamps you have first because there are certain options for certain headlamps
It appears that DRL for you is like the pre-LCI E60 and like the older BMW's in general. You can only hit the low beam H7 bulb at low wattage. However, I am pretty sure that some custom coding could take care of this issue if you code it to have the AE as the DRL and not the low beam. You may have to put a few resistors in there too. Again, it depends on which headlamp setup you do have.

But let me point out....WHO cares about "styling" and what other people think. Do you live to impress or please others? Surely (and hopefully) you didn't buy a BMW to impress others.
LCI halogen has projector for lows, and reflector for highs and flash to pass. The easiest way to have this taken care of is via coding. Can do some wiring to as well, but coding would be cleaner and more straight forward.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a 2004 525i ..I drive with nob on position 3 ..and a neet trick is ..after setting to position 3 press the knob in and it will sink in your dash, that way it stays on the pref. setting as long as you want without you having to turn off and on or even forget and turn them off ...out of sight out of mind
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tamer123
I Have a 2004 525i ..I drive with nob on position 3 ..and a neet trick is ..after setting to position 3 press the knob in and it will sink in your dash, that way it stays on the pref. setting as long as you want without you having to turn off and on or even forget and turn them off ...out of sight out of mind
Are you saying your parking light is constantly on? Even when you leave the vehicle?